VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 12:04:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm literally LOL'ing at the stupidity of our fan base  (Read 8603 times)
Creek Walker
« on: April 21, 2014, 01:08:29 EDT »

If I had a nickel for every time I've read/heard a UT fan say, "OMG! Didn't we learn our lesson when we hired Dooley?" or some variation thereof today, I could pay TRO's hosting fees for a year. The number of fans who truly think that Michael White must be a terrible coach simply because he's from the same school as Derek Dooley is astounding.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 01:14:48 EDT »

Agree completely!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 01:24:26 EDT »

Absolutely clueless, but of course it is much of the same group of people who actually thought that Jon Gruden was actually going to come to UT as its football coach, and that the same people who fired Bruce Pearl were going to welcome him back.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 01:39:24 EDT »

Ummm...who is Michael White?

Never mind, I see it now.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:43:23 EDT by tnflower » Logged
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 01:42:51 EDT »

Ummm...who is Michael White?

The guy we're looking at for our next men's basketball coach.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 01:44:32 EDT »

If I had a nickel for every time I've read/heard a UT fan say, "OMG! Didn't we learn our lesson when we hired Dooley?" or some variation thereof today, I could pay TRO's hosting fees for a year. The number of fans who truly think that Michael White must be a terrible coach simply because he's from the same school as Derek Dooley is astounding.

I joked about it a little, but you're right, it's totally irrelevant

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 04:49:40 EDT »

And the same people dogging White for being from LaTech will celebrate when Tyler Summitt is hired to follow Holly Warlick.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 08:26:15 EDT »

I know it's irrational....I don't care!

Too much about how Martin left reminds me of how Fulmer left.  Irrational fan expectations. 

IMO.

I just don't want the "mojo" of another Tech coach.   

We need to find out who World Wide Wes recommends, apparently.  Because then instant recruiting success can follow.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 05:50:40 EDT »

Is it irrational for a fan to expect success? I expect every coach the Vols hire to be successful. I think Cuonzo squandered a pretty talented team this year. He was so good he was on the verge of not making the tourney. I don't think he deserved the job going forward.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 06:05:27 EDT »

Is it irrational for a fan to expect success? I expect every coach the Vols hire to be successful. I think Cuonzo squandered a pretty talented team this year. He was so good he was on the verge of not making the tourney. I don't think he deserved the job going forward.

There's a fine line when it comes to fan irrationality. I wanted Cuonzo gone myself. But one guy told me last week that if Hart hired anyone other than Gregg Marshall or Ben Howland that he would have to answer to the fans. That irrational.

Bashing a guy because he coaches at the same school as a failed football coach is not just irrational, it's foolish.
Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 07:56:35 EDT »

There's a fine line when it comes to fan irrationality. I wanted Cuonzo gone myself. But one guy told me last week that if Hart hired anyone other than Gregg Marshall or Ben Howland that he would have to answer to the fans. That irrational.

Bashing a guy because he coaches at the same school as a failed football coach is not just irrational, it's foolish.

Ironically, by all those fans signing the petition to fire Cuonzo, we paradoxically made it impossible to hire Marshall or Howland.  I guarantee you that every college coach in the country is on Counzo's side here.  So the guy from USM figures the career advancement is worth the risk but forget about high profile coaches after the petition debacle.  No high profile coach will take a job at a program like that.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 07:59:01 EDT »

Ironically, by all those fans signing the petition to fire Cuonzo, we paradoxically made it impossible to hire Marshall or Howland.  I guarantee you that every college coach in the country is on Counzo's side here.  So the guy from USM figures the career advancement is worth the risk but forget about high profile coaches after the petition debacle.  No high profile coach will take a job at a program like that.

I just don't think the petition carries this much weight with anyone outside the media. Not nearly this much weight.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 08:11:22 EDT »

Howland was interested in UT and contacted the AD about the job and was told thanks but no thanks.  Apparently Howland has some "splainin" to do about the way his UCLA players bolted on him.  There were some other "sidenotes" about Howland's time out in Westwood as well that there were some recruiting questions.  Not sure what they were but heard some rumblings from some people I know and trust.

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 08:27:52 EDT »

As Clock said, the petition didn't have an impact. Gregg Marshall wasn't coming to Tennessee. He was my No. 1 choice, but he would've been a fool to come to UT, quite honestly. It would have been a huge gamble on his part. And, as Emeril said, Howland reached out to Tennessee. The reason he isn't the coach standing behind the podium right now has more to do with UT's lack of interest in him.

This is not a high profile job. Unless you're one of the top 10-15 schools in America, and Tennessee isn't, you don't hire high profile coaches. Bruce Pearl certainly wasn't a high profile coach when UT hired him.

I would love to see the word 'petition' go away forever.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: