VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 11:42:47 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If Mike White is going to be the guy  (Read 10612 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2014, 01:23:38 EDT »

Then yes, we are going cheap . . . but his track record, while short, is impressive. Here are the KenPom numbers for LaTech the three years before White and the three years with White:

2009: #161 (#189 O, #146 D)
2010: #118 (#142 O, #108 D)
2011: #245 (#321 O, #125 D)

2012: #182 (#173 O, #204 D)
2013: #90 (#199 O, #35 D)
2014: #34 (#78 O, #26 D)

The defense made a huge leap forward in year two, and got better in year three when the offense made its own huge leap forward. He inherited a total disaster-- his predecessor won 20 conference games in 4 years; White followed that up by winning 35 in 3 years.

In those three years he also drastically changed their style, going from a mid-to-slow tempo game for his predecessor's teams and his first year to a top 25 tempo game the next two years.

It has the potential to turn into far more watchable basketball in fairly short order.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 01:54:21 EDT »

I have a bad habit of spending hours reading/watching everything I can about everyone who might potentially be considered for UT's coaching vacancies. I hadn't put much thought into White until I started reading up on him. After researching him, he shot ahead of everyone not named Gregg Marshall on my preference list.

Disclaimer: I thought Dooley was a good hire, too. But my excitement about Dooley was his attention to detail, organizational skills and apparent football knowledge...not anything he had actually accomplished. Mike White, OTOH, has a better resume than some SEC big-shots had when they came into the league. Look no further than Bruce Pearl and Billy Donovan for a couple of them. (Obviously in terms of postseason success Pearl was ahead of White, but in terms of winning percentage and proven recruiting prowess, White would win the nod.)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 02:52:01 EDT »

He's a gamble, but if it were to believed that money is tight, he will likely be the guy. I'll give him a chance.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 04:33:31 EDT »

reports swirling that he has turned it down. Buyout an issue

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 05:39:02 EDT »

reports swirling that he has turned it down. Buyout an issue

Well that's embarrassing. My God!
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 05:40:15 EDT »

If I was king for a day, and I won't be, not another dime on facilities for a decade!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 11:04:07 EDT »

I'm not embarrassed.  He's likely biding his time for that Ole Miss job.

Donnie Tyndall, step on up.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:06:28 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 01:22:37 EDT »

Not really.  I'm glad Hart isn't bowing to the pressure to pay the buyout.  Coaches need to be held to their buyouts, and they need to be responsible for them, not the school hiring them.  UT has had enough of buyouts over the past decade.  Don't need to be paying one that isn't even ours. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 01:43:35 EDT »

Not at all, Hart has to protect the University

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 02:21:30 EDT »

Not really.  I'm glad Hart isn't bowing to the pressure to pay the buyout.  Coaches need to be held to their buyouts, and they need to be responsible for them, not the school hiring them.  UT has had enough of buyouts over the past decade.  Don't need to be paying one that isn't even ours.  

Agree 100%, even if it costs us White. Hart is probably offering a bit more in salary to put in substantially less for our part of the buyout and more for his part . . . which only makes sense if you're the university. You want to be compensating coaches that work for you, not ones you've had to fire for poor performance.

And if White jumps for Ole Miss when they fire Andy Kennedy UT needs to be protected as well. It's hard to be embarrassed or upset with Hart over this IMO.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 02:28:30 EDT »

Agree 100%, even if it costs us White. Hart is probably offering a bit more in salary to put in substantially less for our part of the buyout and more for his part . . . which only makes sense if you're the university. You want to be compensating coaches that work for you, not ones you've had to fire for poor performance.

And if White jumps for Ole Miss when they fire Andy Kennedy UT needs to be protected as well. It's hard to be embarrassed or upset with Hart over this IMO.

Once again, the stupidity of the fan base shines through. Obviously if White has rejected UT (which will be the perception, even if both sides simply couldn't come to terms), the national perception is going to be that "even the La Tech coach wouldn't take the Tennessee job." But our own fans should be smarter than that. Instead, we have a bunch of yahoos this morning bitching because Hart won't give the guy whatever he wants.

Not getting White would be disappointing, but Hart has to stand his ground.

There's absolutely nothing about Donnie Tyndall that excites me, but hopefully I'm wrong.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 02:32:24 EDT »

There's absolutely nothing about Donnie Tyndall that excites me, but hopefully I'm wrong.

I think you're justified. Doing the same kind of comparison I did above, Tyndall has barely improved USM. They were in the 70s (KenPom) under the prior coach and made the NCAAT twice (sorry, once), and they've been in the 50s and 60s under Tyndall and haven't made an NCAAT. That record is actually pretty similar to Cuonzo's.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:37:23 EDT by Clockwork Orange » Logged

CONSIGLIEREG8R
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 04:46:12 EDT »

Any thoughts about Kermit Davis from MTSU.  Guy can coach but having a hard time recruiting at MTSU. I think he did just sign top player in bama however
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 04:47:50 EDT »

Any thoughts about Kermit Davis from MTSU.  Guy can coach but having a hard time recruiting at MTSU. I think he did just sign top player in bama however

He was a candidate when Martin was hired.  Has a history of some personal issues that never were answered then. 

Good coach, however.  Probably where he should be. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 08:31:13 EDT »

Not really.  I'm glad Hart isn't bowing to the pressure to pay the buyout.  Coaches need to be held to their buyouts, and they need to be responsible for them, not the school hiring them.  UT has had enough of buyouts over the past decade.  Don't need to be paying one that isn't even ours. 

Agree 100%.

Cheap hiring is one thing, being stupid another.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 09:31:15 EDT »

You want to be compensating coaches that work for you, not ones you've had to fire for poor performance.

Yep. I'm thrilled Hart is standing firm. If this is where we are, go the safe route with Byrd. He's got another five years.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 04:31:36 EDT »

I think you're justified. Doing the same kind of comparison I did above, Tyndall has barely improved USM. They were in the 70s (KenPom) under the prior coach and made the NCAAT twice (sorry, once), and they've been in the 50s and 60s under Tyndall and haven't made an NCAAT. That record is actually pretty similar to Cuonzo's.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 04:35:03 EDT »

Only thing that makes it better is that his work at Morehead St was actually more impressive. They were awful when he took over.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 04:44:26 EDT »

Only thing that makes it better is that his work at Morehead St was actually more impressive. They were awful when he took over.

Well that's good.

I guess 56th in the country's not awful at least.   In the KenPom rankings, they are surrounded by tourney teams above and below, so in theory they could have gone I guess.

I also like that they were 29-7...granted against a pretty lousy schedule...per KenPom 111th in the country.

They got drilled by Louisville before Christmas and beat Mizzou in the NIT.  Nothing much else about them stands out.

Does not look to be a home run hire and I think we will obviously struggle the first year.  If he can recruit there might be hope down the road though.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 05:05:50 EDT »

Yes, he had a nice run in the NCAA tourney at Moorhead State, and made it to the tourney twice in his 6 years there.  Knocked off Louisville in the 2011 tourney. 

And FWIW, won more games in his second year than his first at USM, and won...again FWIW...the regular season conference last year.

We could have done worse.   I think he might do well after the first year or two.  Recruiting will be critical.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 05:10:49 EDT »

Oh and one last thing...I have definitely seen worse hires!  At least he has a winning record, right?   

{Cough cough}...dooley...{cough cough}

And he is a COLLEGE coach with a winning record, that Al Davis has not said is a liar.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: