VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 03:10:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got a question for the photographers/SLR owners on the board  (Read 8444 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2014, 07:19:03 EDT »

So the lens that came with my wife's Canon Rebel T3i died and we need a new lens.  Below are the three that keep popping up when I search the popular online retailers, can anyone offer any advice?  We use it mostly for taking pics of our son and sometimes sporting events and nature if we go somewhere with nice scenery.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-55-250mm-4-0-5-6-Telephoto-Digital/dp/B0011NVMO8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398100244&sr=8-2&keywords=canon+lens
$299 55-250mm lens

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-75-300mm-4-5-6-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B00004THD0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1398100244&sr=8-5&keywords=canon+lens
$199 75-300mm lens

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-18-55mm-3-5-5-6-Lens/dp/B000V5K3FG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1398100244&sr=8-8&keywords=canon+lens
$199 18-55mm lens

So, thoughts?  If I'm going to be buying a replacement I kinda want something better than the standard lens that came with the camera.  But we're definiltely not on the level of where I'm comfy spending over $500 on a lens.  I know the "mm" indicates the zooming ability of the camera, however I suppose that the greater the telescopic capabilities, the longer it takes to focus.
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 07:53:00 EDT »

I would go for the middle one. I've used that lens with my Canon and for that price range it's really hard to beat for sports photography and nature shots.

The top one is a better lens, and having a 55mm- telephoto as opposed to a 75mm- makes it a more versatile lens for when you want to snap shots of your son from a closer range...I'm just not sure the added quality makes it worth the extra 50%. Plus a little extra telescopic oomph of a 300mm vs. 250mm comes in handy out in nature or at the ballfield.

Really it's hard to go wrong with either of the first two.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 01:02:31 EDT »

This is the one I've been eyeing.  Seems like it would be pretty versatile.  But admittedly, I'm still pretty clueless with this stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-250mm-3-5-6-3-Canon-Digital/dp/B001PGXEH4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1398120998&sr=8-4&keywords=sigma+dslr+lenses
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 01:06:29 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 01:36:03 EDT »

This is the one I've been eyeing.  Seems like it would be pretty versatile.  But admittedly, I'm still pretty clueless with this stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-250mm-3-5-6-3-Canon-Digital/dp/B001PGXEH4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1398120998&sr=8-4&keywords=sigma+dslr+lenses

That's a nice one, too.  I'd like to stay within the $100-$200 range.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 02:36:36 EDT »

Eeeggh... the more I read the more I like this one.  It costs more, but like you said.. versatility.  You've got a 18-55mm and 55-250mm all in one, essentially.  Decisions, decisions.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 03:23:55 EDT »

Eeeggh... the more I read the more I like this one.  It costs more, but like you said.. versatility.  You've got a 18-55mm and 55-250mm all in one, essentially.  Decisions, decisions.

Actually, I posted the wrong link- that's the older model of the one I've been looking at.  The new one is the same price and adds improved macro capabilities.  For an amateur like me, it's probably the only lens I'd ever need.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-250mm-f3-5-6-3-Digital-Cameras/dp/B008B48AAE/ref=pd_cp_p_0

GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 04:30:48 EDT »

Vinnie,

Here is an article regarding focal length of the human eye v. a camera (in mm) which the lenses refer to. A 28mm lens is a wide angle lens, but if you take a distance photo or one with straight edges in the subject's outer border with a wide angle, you will see those edges curved because the shape of the lens. Remember the mm in focal length refers to the width of human comparable eyesight (in one eye as in one lens) in width & height, not the length of the lens, just to keep it simple terms. It is more complicated than that, though. The zoom feature gives you the close-up feature to objects in the distance. Usually, the larger the zoom feature, the higher the lowest fstop feature. The lower number on the fstop gives you the most light through the lens and more ability to shoot in lower light. A lot of zooms  lowest setting is f8 whereas if you can find one with an f5.6 all the better.

The longer lens you get, the more powerful flash you will need. Becuase the average flash only is effective up to around 10ft, it is useless with a zoom so you might need the f5.6. Low light is the enemy of the zoom. A flash that shoots 25ft is fabulous.

Macro is for close-ups and is a good feature whether you are taking photos of possesion serial numbers or flowers and insects. Before my camera stuff was stolen out of my car, I had 28mm, 55mm and a 250mm zoom lenses and they did the job for work. The 55mm had macro and worked well. Whatever you get, I'd invest in a polarized filter as well for any lens just to protect the outer glass surface from scratches, plus it helps you reduce glare by turning the filter. The filter will help photo quality a great deal.

Hope this helps. I know it sounds more complicated than it really is, but if you've invested in an SLR you ought to play with it to see what you can get......... including filters. Photography with kids is so fantastic! And remember, kids draw pictures..... you take photographs!

GreggO

Oooops! Forgot the link:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/cameras-vs-human-eye.htm

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:38:41 EDT by GreggO » Logged
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 02:01:23 EDT »

Very interesting... thanks for posting, GreggO!
VOLveeta
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 02:57:55 EDT »

Sorry I haven't chimed in.  I'm VERY ignorant when it comes to zooms.   All of my lenses are prime (fixed) lenses.  I'm partial to Canon's L class lenses which are, of course, ridiculously expensive.  Get this one.   

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680103-USA/Canon_2751B002_EF_70_200mm_f_2_8L_IS.html
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:00:16 EDT by VOLveeta » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 04:21:19 EDT »

Sorry I haven't chimed in.  I'm VERY ignorant when it comes to zooms.   All of my lenses are prime (fixed) lenses.  I'm partial to Canon's L class lenses which are, of course, ridiculously expensive.  Get this one.   

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680103-USA/Canon_2751B002_EF_70_200mm_f_2_8L_IS.html

Will that lens also make my breakfast, do my laundry, and pleasure me orally?  For that much dough, it ought to.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 04:29:48 EDT »

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 06:42:43 EDT »

So I need to get a filter, those are cheap.  Does anyone here use a lens hood as well? 
Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 08:28:28 EDT »

Yes, a lens hood is well worth your money...and they're cheap.
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 05:46:47 EDT »

So, Vinnie have you made any decisions on your lens and accessories?

I will say that I never had a problem buying second-tier lenes, but I was working with film and prints. With that you are at the hands of you film processor. I just don't know if that works with digital media and the resolutions you get with your digital photos. I would say that if you are going to print your own photos to share with family, well hell now you have to think about how much you want to spend on a printer and if it will even match what camera resolutions you are getting out of your camera and lens! But, you aren't taking photos for Life magazine so no need to buy more than you need either way.

I hope I didn't just screw-up the whole thought process there! It could save you some $$$ though on deciding your lens...... dunno. You do want a lens that will do what you want it to do and I think you are on the right track, buddy.

GreggO
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 01:55:39 EDT »

So, Vinnie have you made any decisions on your lens and accessories?

I will say that I never had a problem buying second-tier lenes, but I was working with film and prints. With that you are at the hands of you film processor. I just don't know if that works with digital media and the resolutions you get with your digital photos. I would say that if you are going to print your own photos to share with family, well hell now you have to think about how much you want to spend on a printer and if it will even match what camera resolutions you are getting out of your camera and lens! But, you aren't taking photos for Life magazine so no need to buy more than you need either way.

I hope I didn't just screw-up the whole thought process there! It could save you some $$$ though on deciding your lens...... dunno. You do want a lens that will do what you want it to do and I think you are on the right track, buddy.

GreggO

Well, I had just about decided on the one Creek and I agreed on early in this thread.  But the more I think about it, the more I like the Sigma 18-250mm BDV posted.  The lens that originally came with my wife's camera was 18-55mm and was mostly fine.  I was not quite satisfied with its zoom range and autofocus quickness, but it was fine for our purposes.  So now that I have to get a new lens, I want to upgrade.

So if I were to get a 55-250mm or 75-300mm lens, that means that whole 18-55mm range that we were used to with the first lens won't even be an option.  Which, I think means, this limits the width of your angle (which would be more apparent in close quarters, I think).  I reckon most photographers remedy this by carrying around multiple lenses.  I told my wife, "well we can just get the 55-250mm one now and then eventually get the 18-55mm to round out all the lenses we think we'd need".  So there's that, OR I could pay $100-$150 more and get a single lens that should meet all our needs.

Definitely want to get a lens uv shield and possibly a hood, it seems these are cheap ways to improve photo quality.  While I'm dropping several hundred on a lens, might as well right?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:58:45 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 02:09:43 EDT »

I really thought your thought process on this would include, "Can't we just draw pictures?!?"
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 02:18:47 EDT »

I really thought your thought process on this would include, "Can't we just draw pictures?!?"

I know, right?  Unfortunately I can't draw either.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 02:19:56 EDT »

Yes, a lens hood is well worth your money...and they're cheap.

Quick note, it appears the Sigma 18-250mm comes with a lens hood included.  So, there's that.
Creek Walker
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 09:21:21 EDT »

Quick note, it appears the Sigma 18-250mm comes with a lens hood included.  So, there's that.

I don't think you can go wrong with that one, based on what you're needing it for. I don't usually consider those lenses because I have several 18-55mm lenses laying around, but the versatility is unbeatable.
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 11:08:27 EDT »

I've owned several Sigma lenses and I found them sturdy and having a thick-enough shell that if they are dropped (and it will happen), you won't dislodge an internal lens. I got no distortion with the lenses. The zoom feature is excellent for framing your shots. That would be a good choice.

G
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 12:30:54 EDT »

Well, I had just about decided on the one Creek and I agreed on early in this thread.  But the more I think about it, the more I like the Sigma 18-250mm BDV posted.  The lens that originally came with my wife's camera was 18-55mm and was mostly fine.  I was not quite satisfied with its zoom range and autofocus quickness, but it was fine for our purposes.  So now that I have to get a new lens, I want to upgrade.

So if I were to get a 55-250mm or 75-300mm lens, that means that whole 18-55mm range that we were used to with the first lens won't even be an option.  Which, I think means, this limits the width of your angle (which would be more apparent in close quarters, I think).  I reckon most photographers remedy this by carrying around multiple lenses.  I told my wife, "well we can just get the 55-250mm one now and then eventually get the 18-55mm to round out all the lenses we think we'd need".  So there's that, OR I could pay $100-$150 more and get a single lens that should meet all our needs.

Definitely want to get a lens uv shield and possibly a hood, it seems these are cheap ways to improve photo quality.  While I'm dropping several hundred on a lens, might as well right?

If you do get it, be sure to give us a review.  I'm not in any hurry to get a new lens, but before I go on vacation again (whenever that is) I'll get one.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 12:49:25 EDT »

If you do get it, be sure to give us a review.  I'm not in any hurry to get a new lens, but before I go on vacation again (whenever that is) I'll get one.

Will do.  Bear in mind it will be a review by a complete photography noob, but I'll post my thoughts.    I'll likely be ordering it within a week or so.

Thanks for posting it.  I'm sure I would've been happy with any of the lenses but for a bit more $$$ I think I'll future-proof myself more by going with this one.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:53:14 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: