VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 12:17:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here's a concept no one uses, "Go after an established coach". Why do  (Read 2479 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:39:42 EDT »

these schools go after mostly unproven mid-major coaches? Is it the money? Do they cost less? Sure they have some good seasons against inferior competition. But successful coaching starts with successful recruiting. Look at all the great coaches. Don't they usually have great talent to coach. Coach K doesn't win Div 1 titles with Div 2 talent. Just pay a little more for an established coach. These "hot" up and coming coaches are no bargain if they don't produce. Beside's, most of them are overpaid from the get-go. How did the Butler coach do in the NBA this year? The rub is that most established coaches are already taken. Hmmm, wonder why? They produce.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:01:57 EDT »

these schools go after mostly unproven mid-major coaches? Is it the money? Do they cost less? Sure they have some good seasons against inferior competition. But successful coaching starts with successful recruiting. Look at all the great coaches. Don't they usually have great talent to coach. Coach K doesn't win Div 1 titles with Div 2 talent. Just pay a little more for an established coach. These "hot" up and coming coaches are no bargain if they don't produce. Beside's, most of them are overpaid from the get-go. How did the Butler coach do in the NBA rthis year? The rub is that most established coaches are already taken. Hmmm, wonder why? They produce.

It's easy to say "just throw a bunch of money at a proven coach" but that's not realistic.  I don't know the specifics but I don't think TN just has millions sitting around gathering dust.  Established coaches would not only require more than we can afford but other assurances Hart just isn't in a position to provide.  Hart needed to be smart and that's what he's done.  Can't put the UTAD in a worse position than it's already in.  With all that said, TN isn't a top tier bball program so why would an established coach come here?
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 06:08:12 EDT »

Good question!

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 06:12:42 EDT »

We were on the verge of becoming an established program but Pearl screwed that pooch. It sucks because he was the one who was going to make it established. Can't wait to see what kind of reception Pearl gets when Aubie visits Knoxville. I have no clue as to how most fans will react.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 06:13:38 EDT »

Here's a great article that explains why:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24530514/at-what-point-will-schools-realize-who-can-and-cannot-be-hired-away
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 08:29:25 EDT »

We were on the verge of becoming an established program but Pearl screwed that pooch. It sucks because he was the one who was going to make it established. Can't wait to see what kind of reception Pearl gets when Aubie visits Knoxville. I have no clue as to how most fans will react.

He will get a standing ovation from me, and then I'll be rooting like heck for Tennessee to destroy Auburn.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 09:07:08 EDT »

Nice article!  Legions of the miserable, take note.   

I do take offense that he includes Ohio State in the list of elite programs.  WTF?   In terms of the Big 10, Indiana has a far better tradition.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: