VTTW Board Index
April 23, 2024, 05:13:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just wondering, did they pass the legislation allowing grocery stores to sell  (Read 5500 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2014, 06:34:52 EDT »

alcohol in TN? I remember it being discussed a while back. If they do it will mean big savings for those that buy alcohol.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 06:53:11 EDT »

They did but it must be approved by county/city governing bodies.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:18:56 EDT »

And it isn't all alcohol, but just wine.  Still have to go to a "package" store to get spirits other than beer and wine. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 08:14:58 EDT »

someone please explain the logic to me

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:32:28 EDT »

There is no logic when it comes to alcohol laws. The feds have said that the states have control. Many states let the local governments exercise that control.

Quite frankly it all boils down to money. The governments want the tax money and the alcohol distributors and wholesalers want the sales to pass through them so that they make a buck. That's why people have faced such difficulties with direct shipment of wine. The laws have relaxed in many states but it's still constantly being tried in the courts.

Also, alcohol is a hot-button topic involving religion. There is no logic in that arena.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 08:46:21 EDT »

Quite frankly it all boils down to money.

Doesn't everything ?

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:47:20 EDT »

And just to make sure I rile up everyone, the alcohol discussion always involves Mothers Against Drunk Driving, a/k/a MADD. Every time anyone recommends changing alcohol laws that could make it more convenient for legal age adults to buy alcohol, MADD opposes it. If someone doesn't like a proposed change in alcohol laws (such as anyone who makes more money in the present system), they go to MADD and convince MADD that this will make it easier for kids to get alcohol. When the wine direct shipping cases come up, the wine distributors get MADD involved who oppose direct shipping.  I'm not saying MADD doesn't do good work and I know that many people have been killed by drunk drivers. However, I've never known a kid to order a $400 case of wine in order to get drunk. Most likely they're using a fake ID, getting friends to buy alcohol or stealing it from their parents.

But when MADD gets involved, the debate goes awry. After all, what politician is going to oppose MADD?
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 09:22:19 EDT »

what's the difference in buying it at a package store or at Walmart, you still HAVE to be 21. Does some TN politician own a whole bunch of package stores. Makes no sense to me. If it is okay here in S.Dakota, should be okay in TN. Walmart sells all types of alcohol here. Way cheaper than package stores.

volsboyinsodak
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 09:52:08 EDT »

There are no alcohol sales in grocery or convenient stores here in Maryland simply because the liquor store lobby OWNS the state legislature.  It is amazingly pathetic.  Just about every strip mall here in MD has a liquor store and nail salon.  It's almost like those come "standard".

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 09:55:59 EDT »

To me, either you

1 - Don't allow it at all
2 - Allow it to be sold anywhere, anytime, any day.

All of this you can sell it but not in this type of building, not this type of business .. is a bunch of BS.

Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 01:36:10 EDT »

There are no alcohol sales in grocery or convenient stores here in Maryland simply because the liquor store lobby OWNS the state legislature.  It is amazingly pathetic.  Just about every strip mall here in MD has a liquor store and nail salon.  It's almost like those come "standard".

Same here. Last year the wine-in-grocery-stores failed because of the pressure the package store lobby brought to the table. This year the legislators backing the bill inserted some measures to ease restrictions on liquor stores. That appeased their lobbyists, and the bill passed.

I hate politics.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 03:21:50 EDT »

So the idea is to get liquored up and go to the nail salon?  How strange.  Probably makes getting waxed easier though.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 03:58:39 EDT »

Grocery stores will also be able to sell "high gravity" craft beers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: