VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 03:26:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alden Hill to transfer  (Read 2998 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:14:45 EDT »

While the kid truly seemed to love Tennessee and I hate it for him, it does open up a scholarship.  I'm sure Butch didn't object very profusely, and there's probably more to come.  This is how we'll get back on top sooner rather than later- by moving lesser players out and replacing them with bigger, stronger, and faster players.  

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10824909/alden-hill-tennessee-volunteers-transfer-first-true-love?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:28:52 EDT »

It happens. I have no problem with getting rid of players staff knows will not contribute to Vols success.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 01:34:37 EDT »

It happens. I have no problem with getting rid of players staff knows will not contribute to Vols success.

I don't think it happened like this, but I have a huge problem with "getting rid" of players just because they aren't expected to contribute. Being upfront with the kids, I have no problem with. But once a scholarship is given, a player should not feel pressured to leave just to open up a slot.

As I said, that doesn't appear to be what happened with Hill.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 02:38:05 EDT »

We have been loaded with Dooley recruits that had ZERO business being in the SEC.....to compete you must have SEC type players. Alden was recruited over and will continue to be. He was too slow to play RB and that's where he wants to play. He was pretty much told he would be a special teams players and has decided to move on. There will be some more to move on before too long IMO. If you want to win and compete for championships you gotta have the players that can get you there and we have way too many that don't fit the bill.

Good luck Alden!!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 03:28:45 EDT »

My first thought was that he looked good in relief, but looking back at his stats he wasn't even the third back last year and had only 10 carries.  You can't really read that much into 10 carries.

I think with Hurd and others coming in he just saw the hand writing on the wall and wants to play.  I don't blame him, I think it's a good move.

Good luck Alden!

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 04:31:16 EDT »

Well, if they start paying players, I guarantee if you don't produce you will be gone. I think a scholarship is payment. If you don't produce, you shouldn't be given a free ride. I think they should earn scholarship on the field.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 09:18:30 EDT »

Well, if they start paying players, I guarantee if you don't produce you will be gone. I think a scholarship is payment. If you don't produce, you shouldn't be given a free ride. I think they should earn scholarship on the field.

Even Butch disagrees with that, since he put several East TN boys on scholarship last year who he knew would never see the field, solely for the purpose of helping to bring up the team's academic standing. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: