VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 04:57:28 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TSR closing shop  (Read 8747 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2014, 09:38:42 EDT »

I'm not devastated but it was nice having options to listen to for Vols coverage so.... bummer.  Still, not exactly a shocker.  Ainge's show especially was often too juvenile to take.

http://www.wate.com/story/26070879/tennessee-sports-radio-to-shut-down-2-new-radio-stations-to-launch
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:41:53 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:19:07 EDT »

I really never listened to them when I was in K-town. I pretty nuch stuck to the Sports Animal, but where you are I imagine it's difficulcult at best. When did they stop 99.3/Morristown? I can get their 99.1 signal in my driveway on the mtn. outside Chattown.

G
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:33:52 EDT »

Hey, HTV - anything to contribute on this?

G
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 11:47:28 EDT »

I really never listened to them when I was in K-town. I pretty nuch stuck to the Sports Animal, but where you are I imagine it's difficulcult at best. When did they stop 99.3/Morristown? I can get their 99.1 signal in my driveway on the mtn. outside Chattown.
G

Don't really know about signal, I listen to virtually all my sports radio on my phone via various apps. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 12:11:15 EDT »

Don't really know about signal, I listen to virtually all my sports radio on my phone via various apps. 

You've obviously been grandfathered into the new era of limited data. 
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 01:09:22 EDT »

Hey, HTV - anything to contribute on this?

G

Not a lot at this point.  Some rumors out there, but nothing substantial.  The rumor that seems to have the most legs has the 1180 signal coming back as a sports format in some shape or form.  Could be semi-locally controlled with some familiar content, from what I am hearing.  GoVolsXTraRadio, perhaps?   

That's what I am hearing, anyway. 

Not surprised that TSR didn't last.  For a station of that class (low power AM, licensed as a daytimer by the FCC) they really bit off more than they could chew trying to completely stay local with a large lineup of air talent.  Too much air talent to have to pay, and not enough major sponsors.  They have been hurting for revenue since they first went on the air.  The Sports Animal and its national corporate backing and UT affiliation are just hard to compete with. 

Tony Basilio made the correct decision getting away from there (and that was his decision).  He's doing  great now in his new home and with what he is doing internet wise post games and whenever major news breaks.  I know Tony is one of those guys whom one either loves or hates - seems to be few indifferent with him - but he has stuck by his guns and it is being successful for him.  Tony is a good guy. I'm happy things are working out for him this time. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 01:53:40 EDT »

You've obviously been grandfathered into the new era of limited data. 

Company plan, unlimited data.   
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 01:55:50 EDT »

Not a lot at this point.  Some rumors out there, but nothing substantial.  The rumor that seems to have the most legs has the 1180 signal coming back as a sports format in some shape or form.  Could be semi-locally controlled with some familiar content, from what I am hearing.  GoVolsXTraRadio, perhaps?   

That's what I am hearing, anyway. 

Not surprised that TSR didn't last.  For a station of that class (low power AM, licensed as a daytimer by the FCC) they really bit off more than they could chew trying to completely stay local with a large lineup of air talent.  Too much air talent to have to pay, and not enough major sponsors.  They have been hurting for revenue since they first went on the air.  The Sports Animal and its national corporate backing and UT affiliation are just hard to compete with. 

Tony Basilio made the correct decision getting away from there (and that was his decision).  He's doing  great now in his new home and with what he is doing internet wise post games and whenever major news breaks.  I know Tony is one of those guys whom one either loves or hates - seems to be few indifferent with him - but he has stuck by his guns and it is being successful for him.  Tony is a good guy. I'm happy things are working out for him this time. 

I know I've complained about TB, but he really is a good un.
VOLveeta
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 09:33:42 EDT »

I'm VERY sorry to hear this.  I was a big fan, listened every day before dropping the young'un at school.  Eric's show was excellent... how the Sports Animal won out is beyond me.  The callers alone on that one are unbearable.  TSR was great.  :-(
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 10:23:51 EDT »

I'm VERY sorry to hear this.  I was a big fan, listened every day before dropping the young'un at school.  Eric's show was excellent... how the Sports Animal won out is beyond me.  The callers alone on that one are unbearable.  TSR was great.  :-(

Some call it "State Run Radio", and in a sense, it is.  The UT tie is just too hard for anybody to seriously challenge them. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 12:35:46 EDT »

I enjoyed it best when Mike keith and Brent Hubbs were there. How Hubbs would set-up some of the inteviews they got would amaze me.

G
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 02:44:27 EDT »

I enjoyed it best when Mike keith and Brent Hubbs were there. How Hubbs would set-up some of the inteviews they got would amaze me.

G

Wasn't even the Sports Animal yet when Mike was there.  SportsTalk was still broadcast on NewsTalk990.  Didn't become an all sports station until a few years after Mike left. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 03:43:57 EDT »

I remember that. I think Hubbs was still a college intern at the time.

Mike was (is, I suppose) a nice guy. Back then, he had a forum on KORRnet out of Oak Ridge. My baby girl graduated from MTSU with an advertising degree (communications) right after Mike went to the Titans and he was kind enough to meet with Sarah. He was new and I don't think he was ready to hire any rookies at that time.

G
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 04:54:40 EDT »

I remember that. I think Hubbs was still a college intern at the time.

Mike was (is, I suppose) a nice guy. Back then, he had a forum on KORRnet out of Oak Ridge. My baby girl graduated from MTSU with an advertising degree (communications) right after Mike went to the Titans and he was kind enough to meet with Sarah. He was new and I don't think he was ready to hire any rookies at that time.

G

Do you know who the first host of SportsTalk on NewsTalk990 was? 

Mike is a good guy. I knew him when he was in Knoxville, and have seen him on occasion since he's been with the Titans.  He does a good job in his positions with the Titans. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 03:08:55 EDT »

Hmmm, no I don't. I came to Knoxville in 1992 and MK was hosting then. Wilkerson was the intern at the time, I think. I was trying to remember who was Mike's side-kick then.

G
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 03:35:01 EDT »

Hmmm, no I don't. I came to Knoxville in 1992 and MK was hosting then. Wilkerson was the intern at the time, I think. I was trying to remember who was Mike's side-kick then.

G

Cody Allison, who was at UT at the time, was Mike's sidekick.  Allison is an attorney in middle Tennessee now and works with Mike on Titans broadcasts. 

The first host of SportsTalk was actually Alan Williams, the TV guy who is with Channel 8 now.  Little known fact about Williams is that he was the punter at Florida during his college days.  To talk to him you would never know it, however.  He's become a really huge UT supporter over his years here.  He doesn't flaunt the UF connection.  Classy guy. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 05:52:30 EDT »

Fwiw, Swain's show will live on...albeit in the morning slot:

http://www.wbir.com/story/sports/college/vols/football/2014/07/23/jayson-swain-finds-new-home-at-wkvl/13038543/
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 06:02:41 EDT »

Good for him, and for the listeners.  The options of listenable morning radio in this market are very limited.  Jayson does a good job in my opinion.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 06:33:57 EDT »

Good for him, and for the listeners.  The options of listenable morning radio in this market are very limited.  Jayson does a good job in my opinion.  

Agree.  His was the strongest show of the whole TSR lineup IMO.  We all win.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 08:07:25 EDT »

Agree.  His was the strongest show of the whole TSR lineup IMO.  We all win.

+1. He still needs some polish but he is so much more professional than Ainge, and more knowledgeable about the game and the UT program IMO.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 10:33:43 EDT »

Cody Allison, who was at UT at the time, was Mike's sidekick.  Allison is an attorney in middle Tennessee now and works with Mike on Titans broadcasts. 

The first host of SportsTalk was actually Alan Williams, the TV guy who is with Channel 8 now.  Little known fact about Williams is that he was the punter at Florida during his college days.  To talk to him you would never know it, however.  He's become a really huge UT supporter over his years here.  He doesn't flaunt the UF connection.  Classy guy. 

Yeah, I remember Cody. I think he left in '93 or so, then Wilkerson stepped into that role. Mike was already hosting when I first tuned in.

Memory Lane has a few pot-holes!

G
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: