VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 02:29:49 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Predictions  (Read 4059 times)
volpride
Walk-On

Give.Him.Six

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2014, 03:22:25 EDT »

Well it's that time of the year. Time to make or predictions on the season and probably look silly doing so. Here I go...

Utah St              W         
Arkansas St        W
Oklahoma            L
Georgia               L
Florida                W   
Chattanooga       W
Ole Miss              W
Bama           L
South Carolina      L
Kentucky             W
Mizzou                 L
Vandy                 W

I know the Florida pick is probably a stretch, but isn't that my duty as a fan? LOL But regardless I do believe we slip into a much needed bowl bid this year. Give me your thoughts and predictions. V.O.L.S. GO VOLS GO!!!

"The hardest moments are a call to something greater"
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 04:07:37 EDT »

Two games this season that are of the utmost importance: Utah State and Florida.

Florida is a game Tennessee probably shouldn't win but could. Win that one and Butch Jones cements himself with the fanbase (there are still doubters out there), gives recruits something more than blind faith to hang their hats on, and injects a huge shot of energy into the program. Florida is down, but that game could still be the catalyst for a return to big-time football for UT.

Utah State is a game Tennessee probably shouldn't lose but could. Lose that one and another season of bowl ineligibility becomes likely. The fans will be grumbling, and Butch will have an uphill battle in front of him. I won't go so far as to say it's a "must win," but for a second year coach in his first game of the second season, it's probably as close as you'll come to a must win game.

If those two play out as they'll be widely expected to play out, the Ole Miss game becomes the one that matters. Get that win, finish 6-6 and bowl eligible, and look forward to a big step forward in 2015.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 04:34:59 EDT »

Utah St              W  (very close game, I consider this game a toss up)       
Arkansas St        W
Oklahoma            L
Georgia               L (I think with a full on run game they will run it down our throats but it will be a close game either way)
Florida                W   
Chattanooga        W
Ole Miss              L
Bama                  L
South Carolina      L (This one could sap with mizzu for the late season big win)
Kentucky             W
Mizzou                W (I think we will win, no rational reason, their QB is good but the remainder of the team will be down from the "stars were aligned" team)
Vandy                 W (It will NOT be close)

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volpride
Walk-On

Give.Him.Six

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 04:41:47 EDT »

Couldn't agree more, Creek Walker. Utah State scares me but I believe Butch will have them up for the game. It's one of those if we show up and play smart, clean ball we should be fine and talent will eventually fall in our favor. We catch Florida in the position of just down enough for us to contend. As you said it wouldn't be an all-out signature win but you know as well as I what a spark that would give this program and the fanbase. I type this with a gigantic smile on my face at just the thought of a victory (long awaited) over the gators. Regardless I hope for some patience for Butch from the fanbase as I believe truly he is our guy.

PirateVOL, I like the way you think. Especially your thoughts on Vandy. I've had about enough of Vandy for the next 100 years lol.

"The hardest moments are a call to something greater"
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 06:17:29 EDT »

Florida gets to play at Bama two weeks before their game with us.  Then they have a bye week to get ready for us, but I'm hoping Bama beats the crap out of them before our game.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 06:43:06 EDT »

I'm not worried about Utah State. I think the danger in that one is way, way overplayed right now. They return fewer starters than we do and their x-factor, Keeton, is coming off of an ACL and MCL tear.

Utah St              W         
Arkansas St        W
Oklahoma            L
Georgia               L
Florida                L   
Chattanooga       W
Ole Miss              L
Bama                  L
South Carolina      L
Kentucky             W
Mizzou                W
Vandy                 W

I think we win 1 of 2 vs. UF and Mizzou to get us to 6-6. I chose Mizzou because their talent doesn't outclass us like Florida's does. Florida is coached by an imbecile though, so there's a chance there.

The next most likely wins are Ole Miss and South Carolina, but I don't like our chances on the road that much.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 06:44:24 EDT »

Two games this season that are of the utmost importance: Utah State and Florida.

Florida is a game Tennessee probably shouldn't win but could. Win that one and Butch Jones cements himself with the fanbase (there are still doubters out there), gives recruits something more than blind faith to hang their hats on, and injects a huge shot of energy into the program. Florida is down, but that game could still be the catalyst for a return to big-time football for UT.

Utah State is a game Tennessee probably shouldn't lose but could. Lose that one and another season of bowl ineligibility becomes likely. The fans will be grumbling, and Butch will have an uphill battle in front of him. I won't go so far as to say it's a "must win," but for a second year coach in his first game of the second season, it's probably as close as you'll come to a must win game.

If those two play out as they'll be widely expected to play out, the Ole Miss game becomes the one that matters. Get that win, finish 6-6 and bowl eligible, and look forward to a big step forward in 2015.
dansavol1
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 07:04:30 EDT »

I just think bUTch is going to have his boys prepared and surprise someone.

Utah St              W         
Arkansas St        W
Oklahoma            L
Georgia               L
Florida                W   
Chattanooga       W
Ole Miss              W
Bama                  L
South Carolina      L
Kentucky             W
Mizzou                W
Vandy                 W   and we go bowling!!!
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 07:41:42 EDT »

I just think bUTch is going to have his boys prepared and surprise someone.

Utah St              W         
Arkansas St        W
Oklahoma            L
Georgia               L
Florida                W   
Chattanooga       W
Ole Miss              W
Bama                  L
South Carolina      L
Kentucky             W
Mizzou                W
Vandy                 W   and we go bowling!!!

Gimme some of dat !!!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 07:57:57 EDT »

My picks as of now

Utah St              W         
Arkansas St        W
Oklahoma            L
Georgia               L (We could win this game)
Florida                W (FL will be bad) 
Chattanooga       W
Ole Miss              L (Another game we can win)
Bama           L
South Carolina      L (winnable)
Kentucky             W
Mizzou                 W (I think Mizzou will be down this year they lost a lot, and the game's at home for us)
Vandy                 W

7-5 is my pick. The only two games which I think we have next to zero chance are Oklahoma and Bama.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 07:59:44 EDT »

Agree about USU and UF- but if those play out as expected, I think the key game is Mizzou.  OM is going to be really good, they run the hurry up offense that we still don't have the depth on D to handle, and we're not winning down there this year.  But we get Mizzou at home, and all those big WRs that torched us the last two years are gone.  I don't think they can sustain last year's success.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: