VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 11:18:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Florida's 2015 class is awful right now  (Read 6906 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2014, 05:30:23 EDT »

They have had 4 decommitments this week, and have 7 commits. They're #45 right now on rivals, and several kids who were thought to be locks to them are looking elsewhere. This could be the worst class they have had in a long time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/teamrank/2015/all/all

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 05:52:30 EDT »

They have had 4 decommitments this week, and have 7 commits. They're #45 right now on rivals, and several kids who were thought to be locks to them are looking elsewhere. This could be the worst class they have had in a long time.

They tend to finish strong, so I don't have my hopes too high just yet-- but they have to be concerned by the rash of decommitments for sure. I'm sure the negative recruiting re: their inept coaching staff is taking a toll.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 05:59:01 EDT »

They should have gone ahead and made a coaching change after last season.  Until they do negative recruiting is going to kill their classes, and in this case negative recruiting with a great deal of truth behind it. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 06:43:39 EDT »

Good.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 06:55:34 EDT »

They tend to finish strong, so I don't have my hopes too high just yet-- but they have to be concerned by the rash of decommitments for sure. I'm sure the negative recruiting re: their inept coaching staff is taking a toll.

Don't think they finish that strong. They may get a couple of guys, but most guys who would have been locks to them are looking elsewhere. FSU and Miami are beneficiaries for sure. A good FSU and Miami is good for UT

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 07:12:24 EDT »

A good FSU and Miami is good for UT

Definitely. The ACC can take a chunk out of our East Rivals when FSU, Miami, Clemson, and GT are playing well.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 08:27:28 EDT »

Sweet....hope we can take advantage of it. I am glad they didnt make a coaching change.  Maybe they will go after Kiffiin next year....or Dooley!!!   

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 08:37:38 EDT »

Sweet....hope we can take advantage of it. I am glad they didnt make a coaching change.  Maybe they will go after Kiffiin next year....or Dooley!!!   

I don't think we're going to get any of the guys who decommitted from them, mainly because we're almost full (we'll probably take about 4 more guys). However, Miami, FSU, and Clemson are doing it. Miami added Tyree St. Louis today, and he's from a strong Gator area.

Flea
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 10:59:40 EDT »

FIFY.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 02:35:13 EDT »

They should have gone ahead and made a coaching change after last season.  Until they do negative recruiting is going to kill their classes, and in this case negative recruiting with a great deal of truth behind it. 

IMO, the most shocking thing about their game vs. Georgia Southern last year wasn't the result, but that Muschamp kept his job afterwards.  It was very un Foley-like.  I guess he was still hanging his hat on the season before, when they had bouquets of shamrocks shoved up their arses and somehow went 10-2.  But anyone who was paying attention could see that that wasn't going to be sustainable.  That was one of the luckiest teams I've ever seen.  OTOH, maybe Foley realizes that the UF job isn't just "plug and play" like it used to be.  If they were to hire a new coach right now, he'd face perhaps the toughest circumstances of any incoming UF coach ever.  Not only is the SEC stronger than ever, but their in-state rivals are riding high as well.  Without a Herban-esque slam dunk hire to be found, maybe he figured that they'd do just as well to stand pat for another year, rather than trying to rebuild in the current climate. 

I can't fully revel in their current ineptitude until we beat them (then I'll be insufferable).  But I do hope that Muschamp sticks around Gainesville for a long, long time.

Flea
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 05:17:30 EDT »

I can't fully revel in their current ineptitude until we beat them (then I'll be insufferable).  But I do hope that Muschamp sticks around Gainesville for a long, long time.

You can either insufferably revel in a victory over UF or you can have Muschamp stick around. You won't have both.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 07:44:09 EDT »

You can either insufferably revel in a victory over UF or you can have Muschamp stick around. You won't have both.

So Muschamp survived losses to Vandy and Georgia Southern, but a loss at UT would be considered a fireable offense?  Ouch.  That hurts, but it's probably true.

Of course, there's no guarantee that you'd hire an upgrade.  And even if you did, it may not matter to us.  We had a better record against Spurrier than we do vs. Muschamp.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 08:53:57 EDT »

To me, he has lost control of the locker room. Similar to Dooley at the end of 2012. I'll be shocked if he survives this year. Glad he turned us down.
Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 09:27:05 EDT »

I read Shelley Meyer's comments about the UF fan base last week and laughed out loud. This is a fan base that, when the rest of us said Urban Meyer was a prick of the highest order -- Lane Kiffin with a few more wins, laughed at us. Now their ex-coach's wife is throwing the entire university and its fans under the bus. They realize what a prick Urban Meyer was, and they have someone who is in completely over his head as their new head coach. The mighty aren't so mighty anymore. A less pompous fan base mightn't have deserved what's happening to UF right now, but I'm certainly watching it all play out.

Of course, as BDV points out, Tennessee hasn't yet beaten Florida. But with Butch Jones as our coach and Will Muschamp as theirs, I like the direction each program is headed.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 09:38:05 EDT »

I read Shelley Meyer's comments about the UF fan base last week and laughed out loud. This is a fan base that, when the rest of us said Urban Meyer was a prick of the highest order -- Lane Kiffin with a few more wins, laughed at us. Now their ex-coach's wife is throwing the entire university and its fans under the bus. They realize what a prick Urban Meyer was, and they have someone who is in completely over his head as their new head coach. The mighty aren't so mighty anymore. A less pompous fan base mightn't have deserved what's happening to UF right now, but I'm certainly watching it all play out.

Of course, as BDV points out, Tennessee hasn't yet beaten Florida. But with Butch Jones as our coach and Will Muschamp as theirs, I like the direction each program is headed.

How many other coaches' wives have you seen that crave the spotlight as much as her?  You get the impression that when herban retires, she'll run for a NY Senate seat.

Flea
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 11:32:48 EDT »

So Muschamp survived losses to Vandy and Georgia Southern, but a loss at UT would be considered a fireable offense?  Ouch.  That hurts, but it's probably true.

Muschamp won't survive another season like last year. He needs Ws, and if we're not good enough to beat UT, we won't beat enough of the rest to save him.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 11:49:45 EDT »

How many other coaches' wives have you seen that crave the spotlight as much as her?  You get the impression that when herban retires, she'll run for a NY Senate seat.

She's a Bozette.  Just a damned clown.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 03:20:32 EDT »

1.  I revel recalling comments on a certain rival board circa 2007 predicting both national championships and dominating recruiting classes far into the future.  This current class of theirs is on par or even worse than the stinker that Fulmer put together in 2006 (I think?  Around then...it was his worst ever) or any of Dooley's classes.  Shaudenfraude (sp?) can be nice some times.     And I can only hope a certain other rival is equally humbled in the future.   

2.  This is clearly a referendum by future players on Muschamp.  While HS recruits are not the best forecasters of a program's success, the fact that Muschamp can't lure a bit more talent to Gainesville is very telling.  It all reminds me of Dooley's last year.

3. It's true that we finally need to beat them.  Although 1 is true and I enjoy their current misery given how arrogant some of their fans were under Urban, it's a bitter taste when we keep losing to them in spite of their downfall.  Game is in Knoxville, so...   Also true that coaching changes are a  bit of a lottery, so I am not sold that replacing Muschamp will help next year....I think we could be very competitive next year.  But in the meantime, looking forward to playing them in Knoxville.  In October too, come to think of it.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: