VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 02:34:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bored poll...  (Read 15214 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 01:25:06 EDT »

If you really wanted to be nasty, you could've pointed out the irony of a Braves fan poking fun at the Cowboys' bandwagoners.  

Yeah, except I didn't just pluck the Braves ala carte off the ATL Buffet.  I bought the whole Peachtree Value Package, which also includes the Falcons and Hawks.  And I don't see too many people clamoring to jump on those bandwagons.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 01:30:48 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 01:29:18 EDT »

I think the Cowboys remain the NFL's Yankees despite their struggles. For whatever reason they draw fans from all over who have no good reason to follow the Cowboys. But when it comes to pro teams, I may chuckle at people but mainly I just don't care. If you grew up in a town/state with no pro team I can't blame you for picking one to follow, whatever the reason behind it.

Heck, I even liked the Cowboys as a kid.  Those silver helmets and Stars were badass.  Then I turned 8, and I learned that there are better reasons to pick a team than their uniforms.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 04:41:03 EDT »

Holy cow! Back in the day, the ABA had some unbelievably athletic players, more so even than the NBA. Saw the Nets play the Kentucky Colonels, the KY team had Artis Gilmore, Dan Issel, Louie Dampier, among others. Some fun, exciting basketball was played in the ABA. And oh yeah, nobody ran the veer offense better than David Bibee in high school. That whole backfield was 1st team all-state. Gil Kyle went to GaTech, George Heath went to VaTech and Bibee to UT. Incredible team.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 07:23:12 EDT »

Baseball: Braves, even before they moved to Atlanta (Spahn & Sain, Pray for rain, Eddie MAthews, Hank Aaron, etc) & Cincinnati in mid 70s while stationed in Ohio (Rose, Bench, Doggie Perez, etc era).
Football:  Da Bears historically though Baltimore in the Unitas eara was a fav.  Indy/Denver more recently for some reason ...
Hockey:....Could give a rats ...
Basketball: From Russell to Bird The Boston Celtics!
Born and bred BIG ORANGE!!

Wow.  When DID the Braves move, because I don't even remember that.  Oldtimer.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 07:46:41 EDT »

Pro football - my father grew up in the Florida panhandle, so some of my earliest memories are watching with him the classic Griese and Czonka teams of the mid-70s.  Thus I grew up a Dolphins fan.  I actually do recall rooting for the Colts in the 1971  Super Bowl against Dallas, just because they had white jerseys, and when the Colts moved to Indy in the 80s I became a fan since I lived in Indiana the first 15 years of my life.  Then when the Titans moved to Tennessee I started following them a bit also.  And of course, I am partial to the Broncs so long as Peyton is there, and that is really recent. 

Basketball - Pacers fan from the mid 70s.  Always have been, always will be.  I like the Clippers to an extent, because they are NOT the Lakers.     I almost moved to LA in 2001 and if I had I was planning to wear Clippers gear all the time and announce loudly that I would NOT want to be seen on the sideline of Lakers games and that Jack Nicholson can kiss my ass anyway.   

Baseball - grew up a Reds fan and still follow them a bit.  Not a huge baseball fan though, so basically I just check the standings every now and then, but haven't even really been doing that lately.

College football - Huge Vol fan though I evolved into it.  Was a casual fan upon moving to Knoxville in 1982, then became a real fan upon enrollment in 1985, but still had divided loyalties because I was a huge Notre Dame fan starting in 1977.      Switched loyalty completely to Tennessee in the 1991 "miracle in South Bend" because I didn't like the announcers dissing Tennessee. Nowadays Purdue has replaced ND as no. 2 since I got a grad degree from Purdue.

Hockey - used to like the Indy Whalers of the old WHL, but they are long gone.  I only watch hockey during the Olympics, but if I had to pick a team it would be the Preds for obvious reasons. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: