VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 01:04:51 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Report (defense)  (Read 3075 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2014, 03:49:24 EDT »

Overall:  Major upgrade over last year.  Speed and quickness, tackling, cover skills all improved.  There are several current or future stars on the defense.  We saw flashes of a much more agressive defense last night.  Yes we are thin and yes we are, for the most part, very young but this could be a fun defense to watch.  Only two cringe worthy plays and they were back to back.

DL:  The quick DTs, especially Williams were disruptive.  The DEs really contained their QB well, while getting up field to put pressure on him.  Barnett played at least 2/3 of the snaps throuh the 3rd quarter last night.  He is disruptive.  Maggitt showed flashes, as did Vereen and Mixon.  OVerall, played the run surprisingly well. and, as noted, contained the mobile QB.  Still very concerned that teams can line up and shove the ball down our throat (see bamer, see uga) but the DL has improved significantly over last year.

LB:  The strength of the team last night.  Both AJ and Reves-Maybin were all over the field making plays.  Even when not in on the tackle they were forcing the play to others.  Good in the passing game as well.  AJ has stepped up his game.  Reeves-Maybin has the potential to be a star.  Maggitt played well when at LB.  Weartherd played more than I thought he would and he has the potential to be very disruptive.  Bates came in the first time after an injury and his actions in lining up that first play were indicative of a deer-in-the-headlights look but he settled down quickly.

DB:  This just in, Sutton and Randolph are very, very, very good.  They didn't throw at the RS FR but kept throwing towards Sutton, to their dismay.  McNeil played well after getting the start.  Swafford played but wasn't much of a factor.  Coleman at corner is not a good thing (though there was no way, no how that was PI) but their TD pass was the result of bad technique.  TK Jr got significant PT.  Bottom line is they played man well and played zone the best we have played zone in a long while.  Good pursuit and swarmed to the ball.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 05:05:11 EDT »

Best defense in the SEC. Should be by more than 100 yards, but hey allowed less than 250 yards isn't a bad start.

GO VOLS!!!   
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 05:14:36 EDT »

Overall:  Major upgrade over last year.  Speed and quickness, tackling, cover skills all improved.  There are several current or future stars on the defense.  We saw flashes of a much more agressive defense last night.  Yes we are thin and yes we are, for the most part, very young but this could be a fun defense to watch.  Only two cringe worthy plays and they were back to back.

DL:  The quick DTs, especially Williams were disruptive.  The DEs really contained their QB well, while getting up field to put pressure on him.  Barnett played at least 2/3 of the snaps throuh the 3rd quarter last night.  He is disruptive.  Maggitt showed flashes, as did Vereen and Mixon.  OVerall, played the run surprisingly well. and, as noted, contained the mobile QB.  Still very concerned that teams can line up and shove the ball down our throat (see bamer, see uga) but the DL has improved significantly over last year.

LB:  The strength of the team last night.  Both AJ and Reves-Maybin were all over the field making plays.  Even when not in on the tackle they were forcing the play to others.  Good in the passing game as well.  AJ has stepped up his game.  Reeves-Maybin has the potential to be a star.  Maggitt played well when at LB.  Weartherd played more than I thought he would and he has the potential to be very disruptive.  Bates came in the first time after an injury and his actions in lining up that first play were indicative of a deer-in-the-headlights look but he settled down quickly.

DB:  This just in, Sutton and Randolph are very, very, very good.  They didn't throw at the RS FR but kept throwing towards Sutton, to their dismay.  McNeil played well after getting the start.  Swafford played but wasn't much of a factor.  Coleman at corner is not a good thing (though there was no way, no how that was PI) but their TD pass was the result of bad technique.  TK Jr got significant PT.  Bottom line is they played man well and played zone the best we have played zone in a long while.  Good pursuit and swarmed to the ball.

I agree with this, I was very excited by the DL play the most.  When was the last game where we were able to get consistent pressure on the QB with 4 DL?

Go Big Orange.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 06:47:29 EDT »

Best defense in the SEC. Should be by more than 100 yards, but hey allowed less than 250 yards isn't a bad start.

GO VOLS!!!   

Wait...what?  Slow down.  I appreciate the enthusiasm, but slow down.

Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 07:49:50 EDT »

My first reaction too.  But I think he meant STATISTICALLY the SEC's best defense in Week 1.
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 12:54:01 EDT »

No by stats we have the best defense in the SEC through week one.

GO VOLS!!!   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 02:51:52 EDT »

No by stats we have the best defense in the SEC through week one.

GO VOLS!!!   

And that's awesome, and they certainly looked much better than I expected.  But if they're still ranked #1 by Thanksgiving, I'll personally get on the mic and perform "3rd Down For What" at midfield at the Vanderbilt game.

Remember, we shut out our first opponent last year, and that turned out to be one of the worst defenses in UT history.  Honestly, I'd be thrilled if our D just ranked in the top half of the SEC by season's end.  We can win with that.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 03:07:11 EDT »

And that's awesome, and they certainly looked much better than I expected.  But if they're still ranked #1 by Thanksgiving, I'll personally get on the mic and perform "3rd Down For What" at midfield at the Vanderbilt game.

Remember, we shut out our first opponent last year, and that turned out to be one of the worst defenses in UT history.  Honestly, I'd be thrilled if our D just ranked in the top half of the SEC by season's end.  We can win with that.

Yeah, but Utah State, even though they are more down this year than most realized, is no Appy State.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: