VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 11:56:07 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good, Bad, and Ugly  (Read 4085 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2014, 04:42:45 EDT »

Good:

1 - DL - Stoned them all night on the run, got lots of QB pressure, disrupted everything. Keaton was running for his life. Huge upgrade from last year
2 - LBs - Maybin and AJ beasted. AJ could be the best LB in the SEC.
3 - WRs - Overall, good routes, got open, and we got good YAC. Would like to see better execution on deep balls. Not too many drops. Need to involve Quez more.
4 - TE - Wolf is a stud. Blocked well.
5 - QB - Efficient, high % completion rate. Worley looked in command and knew what he was doing. Good accuracy and ball placement for the most part. Deep balls were not good.
6 - Punting - Darr dropped 4 punts inside the 20.
7 - Kicking - Other than the first FG, Medley looked pretty good.
8 - DBs - Sutton continues to dominate. Williams looked good. Coleman looked good in the nickel. Even McNeil brought the wood. Was surprised Kelly didn't play as much as they said he would.Moseley also did not play as much.

Bad

1 - KO returns. Not that impressed. I'd like to see someone else get a shot.
2 - Overall OL Play. Did ok pass blocking, run blocking was poor. Jackson got trucked a lot, as did Crowder.
3 - Running game - I think the scheme was very vanilla and lacked creativity. Lane and Hurd can do a lot better. To give Utah state credit, they had some good LBs

Ugly

1 - That first FG attempt
2 - Coleman's coverage on the Utah state TD - PI, and then got torched.
3 - OT play. They struggled a lot.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 03:25:28 EDT »

I like how sure handed Devrin Young is on the returns.  He mostly called fair catch, and should have because the coverage was all over him. 

Don't forget that Downs also played well at TE, which was a pleasant surprise.  We actually have some quality depth there this year.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 03:37:23 EDT »

Is Wharton hurt?  I've been hearing that he would be a huge weapon in the return game, but I'm not sure he even played.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 03:39:43 EDT »

Is Wharton hurt?  I've been hearing that he would be a huge weapon in the return game, but I'm not sure he even played.
He played in mop-up duty.  He was the slot receiver when Peterman was in the game

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 03:39:45 EDT »

I don't think he is hurt, I think Butch just stayed with the safe option.  He might get a shot if we go up big on Arky State, but ...

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 05:45:09 EDT »

I like how sure handed Devrin Young is on the returns.  He mostly called fair catch, and should have because the coverage was all over him. 

Don't forget that Downs also played well at TE, which was a pleasant surprise.  We actually have some quality depth there this year.   

That was Sutton. Young handled kickoffs, not punts

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 05:46:14 EDT »

Yes he had been hurt and got behind a little.

I think there's talk that Evan Berry will get a try at KO returns

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 05:11:04 EDT »

That was Sutton. Young handled kickoffs, not punts

Oh okay.  Well whoever it was, he made some nice catches of balls that were basically not returnable.   

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 08:24:13 EDT »

Good:

1 - DL - Stoned them all night on the run, got lots of QB pressure, disrupted everything. Keaton was running for his life. Huge upgrade from last year
2 - LBs - Maybin and AJ beasted. AJ could be the best LB in the SEC.
3 - WRs - Overall, good routes, got open, and we got good YAC. Would like to see better execution on deep balls. Not too many drops. Need to involve Quez more.
4 - TE - Wolf is a stud. Blocked well.
5 - QB - Efficient, high % completion rate. Worley looked in command and knew what he was doing. Good accuracy and ball placement for the most part. Deep balls were not good.
6 - Punting - Darr dropped 4 punts inside the 20.
7 - Kicking - Other than the first FG, Medley looked pretty good.
8 - DBs - Sutton continues to dominate. Williams looked good. Coleman looked good in the nickel. Even McNeil brought the wood. Was surprised Kelly didn't play as much as they said he would.Moseley also did not play as much.

Bad

1 - KO returns. Not that impressed. I'd like to see someone else get a shot.
2 - Overall OL Play. Did ok pass blocking, run blocking was poor. Jackson got trucked a lot, as did Crowder.
3 - Running game - I think the scheme was very vanilla and lacked creativity. Lane and Hurd can do a lot better. To give Utah state credit, they had some good LBs

Ugly

1 - That first FG attempt
2 - Coleman's coverage on the Utah state TD - PI, and then got torched.
3 - OT play. They struggled a lot.

One thing I think a lot of people discounted is that USU was basically putting eight in the box.  The outside LBs were constantly doing run blitzes on primary running down plays.  That is why the very first three plays were all "wide receiver/backs out in the flat kind of passes" to get the ball outside their comfort level and make plays from the wide angles.  If you watch their MLB he was constantly ball hawking the run plays and also he was an exceelent player. Virgil was their primary tackler all night long it seemed.

The First FG attempt was a case of the nerves on all three facets of the effort.  The ball was not crisply held and led to a botched kind of kick.  I noticed after that Medley and the holder were over on the sideline practicing the hold and then follow through of the kicking rotation.  I attribute the first kick as a "get to know the pressure kick" and not a large concern overall.   The Off Tackles were opening good holes on the left side.  THe main running yards were on the left side and were consistent so that side was better blocked all night long. 

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 08:40:41 EDT »

One thing I think a lot of people discounted is that USU was basically putting eight in the box.  The outside LBs were constantly doing run blitzes on primary running down plays.  That is why the very first three plays were all "wide receiver/backs out in the flat kind of passes" to get the ball outside their comfort level and make plays from the wide angles.  If you watch their MLB he was constantly ball hawking the run plays and also he was an exceelent player. Virgil was their primary tackler all night long it seemed.

The First FG attempt was a case of the nerves on all three facets of the effort.  The ball was not crisply held and led to a botched kind of kick.  I noticed after that Medley and the holder were over on the sideline practicing the hold and then follow through of the kicking rotation.  I attribute the first kick as a "get to know the pressure kick" and not a large concern overall.   The Off Tackles were opening good holes on the left side.  THe main running yards were on the left side and were consistent so that side was better blocked all night long. 

He took a good size divot on the first kick, angle was off on the divot as well ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
OldVol74
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 10:18:37 EDT »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: