VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 07:08:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week one kneejerk reaction...  (Read 2397 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2014, 11:18:31 EDT »

Here's what I thought about the remaining games on our schedule going into the week, and what I think now.

Arkansas State- I saw this as a probable win before, but some "worst case scenario" people thought these guys could give us trouble, maybe even beat us.  Not gonna happen.  I'm moving this game into the "sure thing" column.

Oklahoma- This was and remains a sure loss.  But now, at least I'm hopeful that we'll make a decent showing and not get run off the field.

Georgia- I saw this as a probable loss before, but unless Gurley gets hurt or something, I'd now call it a sure loss.  They look really, really good.

Florida- They didn't play, so I'm still flying blind here.  But just given our play, I'm moving this game from probable loss to tossup.

Chattanooga- The mighty Mocs are the preseason pick to win the Southern Conference.  They went up to D-1 Central Michigan last week and gave Butch's old gang all they could handle before folding.  So don't just take these guys for gra...oh, who the hell am I kidding?  WWFDT.

Mississippi- I'm keeping this one in the probable loss column, but I feel better about it than I did before.

bammer- Was and remains a sure loss.  Still, they didn't exactly look all-world against a WVU team that went 4-8 last year.  Dare we even dream?  Nah.  Not yet, anyway.

South Carolina- This was a probable loss, now I'd call it a tossup.  Our WRs should be pretty eager to go up against that secondary.

Kentucky- was and remains a probable win.  They look to be improved, but they're not beating us in Knoxville.

Missouri- they did what they should've done against a D-2 team.  I'm keeping this one in the tossup column.  If we're to go bowling, this may be the biggest game on our schedule. 

Vandy- LOL! This one moves from probable win to sure thing.  If we lose to them again, Butch is going to feel some heat this offseason.  Spoiler alert: we won't lose to them again.

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 11:26:40 EDT »

So you're saying 10-2? 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 11:42:56 EDT »

I saw more talent on the field last night than I've seen in several years......And my gosh, we played what, 22 Freshman? That's unheard of.

I'm not a big fan of our running game scheme and IMO for it to work as it should we need a QB that can run some. In this offense if you don't keep the defense honest it takes away from what you are trying to do....I'm not sure Butch is going to allow Worley to run much because if Worley gets hurt we are in a world of hurt.

We've got 2 good RBs and Hurd will be a stud, but need to get him some space. Maybe we were very vanilla in the run game last night...I hope so. We just need to be more creative until we can get the OL up to speed.
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 12:33:48 EDT »

I'm thinking the same way you are on the vanilla run situation Tnphil.  I think (I hope) they were keeping simple as possible, not showing
nothing special. 12 days from now will be a different story again...(I hope).
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 12:39:27 EDT »

My reaction. On offense, you take what the defense gives you. Utah State loaded up to stop the run and Worley passed them to death. They is no difference in the short passing game and running the ball. If the DBs lay back abd give the outside pass, 4-6 yds a pop is OK. If the DBs play close, you run past and get the longer pass. I stll think trying to run off tackle is a problem. But it will take LBs playing close to stop this passing attack. Until a team stops the short pass, we do not need to run. JMHO
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 03:04:25 EDT »

My reaction. On offense, you take what the defense gives you. Utah State loaded up to stop the run and Worley passed them to death. They is no difference in the short passing game and running the ball. If the DBs lay back abd give the outside pass, 4-6 yds a pop is OK. If the DBs play close, you run past and get the longer pass. I stll think trying to run off tackle is a problem. But it will take LBs playing close to stop this passing attack. Until a team stops the short pass, we do not need to run. JMHO

Kind of how I think.  Let's take it one game at a time and do what it takes to win each game.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: