VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 01:53:01 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Their front 7 is good, but we're going to see better this year...  (Read 6509 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2014, 04:58:28 EDT »

I really, really hope that Peterman and Dobbs are ready to go, because Worley isn't going to finish this season.  We're just paralyzed by our OL right now, and sooner or later, it's going to get our QB(s) hurt.

RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 06:43:56 EDT »

I think that the Vols faced the most talented front 7 on D that they will face all year that they will tonight! From what I have watched on the rest of the SEC, none of the teams have come close to the OK Defensive front! My personal opinion! The Vols will be in a bowl game this year! If they held on this close! They will kick the brown out of most of the SEC teams!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 06:48:59 EDT by RIPLEYVOL » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 04:01:34 EDT »

Some fans thought this line might do better than our "underachieving" line from last year.  I want whatever they were smoking.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 04:11:05 EDT »

Some fans thought this line might do better than our "underachieving" line from last year.  I want whatever they were smoking.

Given their accolades coming into UT, I think it's more than fair to say those guys underachieved.  Whether you place the blame on the players or the coaching staff(s), they certainly didn't live up to their billing.  That said, anyone who didn't think there would be a dropoff this year was deluding themselves.  You don't replace five senior starters with a bunch of inexperienced guys and not have some growing pains. 

But I don't know if I expected it to be this bad.  Did we have a single offensive series last night that didn't include at least one sack or negative yardage play?  I don't remember one.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 04:19:50 EDT »

Their NT AND striker are very good.  The others are good but as you say there are better groups in the SEC

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 08:45:22 EDT »

From watching early SEC games, I honestly don't know besides Bama and Ole Miss another team that will have as active of a front 7 as last night.  You look around in the East and there are problems everywhere:

- UT - Yes, the o-line is the problem this year.  The D is playing well for the most part.
- South Carolina - which Carolina shows up...the one against A&M and East Carolina where anyone could move the ball at well against them?
- UGA - defensive problems all over
- UF - I watched the UK RB reverse field on UF D and that was not as good of a D as UF has had recently.
- Missouri - who knows....they haven't played anyone with a pulse yet.
- UK - still have to prove it to me to believe they are that much better in one year.
- Vandy - enough said

Worley threw some incredible passes last night.  I honestly think we have a fighting chance in the UF game, UGA, Missouri, and Carolina.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 08:47:10 EDT »

I think that the Vols faced the most talented front 7 on D that they will face all year that they will tonight! From what I have watched on the rest of the SEC, none of the teams have come close to the OK Defensive front! My personal opinion! The Vols will be in a bowl game this year! If they held on this close! They will kick the brown out of most of the SEC teams!

This.  I think OK's front 7 is about as good as it gets in CFB.  Heard on the radio one of their DL can do a standing back flip at 310+ lbs. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 09:03:27 EDT »

This.  I think OK's front 7 is about as good as it gets in CFB.  Heard on the radio one of their DL can do a standing back flip at 310+ lbs. 

Agree. It's hard for me to believe that any SEC defensive fronts are better than Oklahoma's. Then again, we're going to face some very good SEC defenses, and the prospect of doing so with this offensive line makes me shudder.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 09:09:15 EDT »

Agree. It's hard for me to believe that any SEC defensive fronts are better than Oklahoma's. Then again, we're going to face some very good SEC defenses, and the prospect of doing so with this offensive line makes me shudder.

I think bammer is better, probably UF, too.  Maybe even UGA.  But we'll see. 

At any rate, it's hard to get a read on our prospects in any of our future games at this point (other than UTC), because I just don't know if Worley will still be playing.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 03:37:57 EDT »

I think bammer is better, probably UF, too.  Maybe even UGA.  But we'll see. 

At any rate, it's hard to get a read on our prospects in any of our future games at this point (other than UTC), because I just don't know if Worley will still be playing.

No Worley won't last at this rate. Everything seems to be in place except the OL.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 04:14:21 EDT »

I disagree that the the SEC has any team with a better front 7. Have watched Alabama, Florida, and Georgia and IMO Oklahoma has better 7 this year at this point.
Kentucky was barely slowed down by UF.
Bama has not played anyone, but they are not as fast or as strong on the DL as usual. LB are good, but OK has better.
GA front 7 not impressive against USCe.
Ole Miss DL is hot and cold.

So no, This year Oklahoma has a better defense than any team in SEC as of right now. By the end of the year who knows. But there is no team in SEC that cannot be exploited at this point. Defensive performances have been bipolar in SEC to date.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 02:18:10 EDT »

I disagree that the the SEC has any team with a better front 7. Have watched Alabama, Florida, and Georgia and IMO Oklahoma has better 7 this year at this point.
Bama has not played anyone, but they are not as fast or as strong on the DL as usual. LB are good, but OK has better.

So no, This year Oklahoma has a better defense than any team in SEC as of right now. By the end of the year who knows. But there is no team in SEC that cannot be exploited at this point. Defensive performances have been bipolar in SEC to date.

///
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 02:38:26 EDT »

Like I said, we'll see.  Bammer is unquestionably more talented (8 #1 classes in 9 years will do that) and by the time we play them, they will have perfected their PED regimen on-field assignments.

ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 03:23:35 EDT »

After watching many games and teams so far...I agree, our OL could have done better, but HOLY SHIZNIT...no better front seven in college football so far.
Plus these are the same boys that beat the hell out of BAMA in the bowl game.

Go Big Orange.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 03:25:50 EDT »

My question on Bama's string of #1 recruiting classes is this. Why have they not won more NCs than they have? With that much talent, they should never lose. And if Saban is such a defensive back wizard, why have they been so pedestrian lately?  

JMO, Bama will not win the West this year.  They lose 2 games at least.

And the Bama DL is saw on TV was not as strong and fast as Oklahoma's. You are living in the past and projecting their teams from 3-4 years ago. By year's end, they may be as good.  But not now. JMO
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 05:51:30 EDT »

My question on Bama's string of #1 recruiting classes is this. Why have they not won more NCs than they have? With that much talent, they should never lose. And if Saban is such a defensive back wizard, why have they been so pedestrian lately?  

JMO, Bama will not win the West this year.  They lose 2 games at least.

And the Bama DL is saw on TV was not as strong and fast as Oklahoma's. You are living in the past and projecting their teams from 3-4 years ago. By year's end, they may be as good.  But not now. JMO

Agree

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 05:55:09 EDT »

Given their accolades coming into UT, I think it's more than fair to say those guys underachieved.  Whether you place the blame on the players or the coaching staff(s), they certainly didn't live up to their billing.  That said, anyone who didn't think there would be a dropoff this year was deluding themselves.  You don't replace five senior starters with a bunch of inexperienced guys and not have some growing pains. 

But I don't know if I expected it to be this bad.  Did we have a single offensive series last night that didn't include at least one sack or negative yardage play?  I don't remember one.

We had our best rush attack last year since 1998, and Rajon Neal and Marlin Lane, while good backs, have hardly been mistaken for Jamal Lewis or Travis Henry.

The OL last year made a convenient scapegoat, is all.  Tiny running his mouth so much did not help, but I would absolutely love to have them back.

The reason you didn't expect such a large drop-off is that no one gave last year's line quite the credit it deserved.

That they sucked is a myth created by frustrated fans needing to vent.

Did they underachieve?  That's a very subjective thing.  They no doubt could have done better, but overall they were the strongest component of our offense last year.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: