VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 07:37:34 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worley and then some...  (Read 12578 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 09:41:25 EDT »

IMO our best X, Y, and Z receivers are North, Pearson and Smith (and two have high ankle injuries).  Each brings a different skill set and each is very good.

2nd tier are Malone, Pig and Croom.  In some cases, IMO, a significant drop off.  Malone has a large upside, needs the light to come on bright.  Pig knows the offense and has the ability to get open, IMO needs to be more consistent.  Croom could be a good pass catching TE IMO.

I suspect with Smith out we will see more of Hurd being split out, like he was after Smith was injured Sat night.  In the 4th Saturday several times we lined up with both Hurd and Lane both on the field.  This may be a sign we intend to split Hurd out more but retain the ability to run with either TB.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 04:54:20 EDT »

The 2nd Sat was a forwad flip, don't recall if the first was (far end of the field from where I was sitting).

The first was a 3 yard loss.  After which, I noticed the scoreboard said "-3 pass yards" even though I thought it was a hand off.  So yeah, it was a pass.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2014, 05:01:02 EDT »

The first was a 3 yard loss.  After which, I noticed the scoreboard said "-3 pass yards" even though I thought it was a hand off.  So yeah, it was a pass.
The first was a 7 yard loss

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2014, 05:04:54 EDT »

[/
I am pretty sure it was less, but I am sure you have looked at the film.  There must have been a 4 yard pass prior to that. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2014, 05:06:46 EDT »

[/
I am pretty sure it was less, but I am sure you have looked at the film.  There must have been a 4 yard pass prior to that. 
2nd and 17; 3rd and 8 (I think) and then a punt.  The first fly sweep was where Pig try to reverse field and got dumped further behind the LOS as a result.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 04:36:16 EDT »

I've never questioned Worley's "toughness" or heart.  He is what he is, and he stood in there on Saturday night and took a pounding. 

What I do question, or opine, is that if Worley is the best option at this point then we don't have a QB on campus at this point that fits what Butch wants to do offensively.  Worley is just not a good fit for the spread/read/zone option offense.  A QB in that system has to be mobile - which Worley is not - and has to be a threat to pull the ball and run it when the read is there. 

I question the scheme, given that we apparently don't have a QB that fits the scheme.  Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go away from what you want to do long term and go to something that fits until you get the fit for what you wan to do.  Just don't see a fit right now.  Not saying go to a crazy offensive scheme, just to make some adjustments to fit the personnel that is there now.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 05:10:15 EDT »

I've never questioned Worley's "toughness" or heart.  He is what he is, and he stood in there on Saturday night and took a pounding. 

What I do question, or opine, is that if Worley is the best option at this point then we don't have a QB on campus at this point that fits what Butch wants to do offensively.  Worley is just not a good fit for the spread/read/zone option offense.  A QB in that system has to be mobile - which Worley is not - and has to be a threat to pull the ball and run it when the read is there. 

I question the scheme, given that we apparently don't have a QB that fits the scheme.  Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go away from what you want to do long term and go to something that fits until you get the fit for what you wan to do.  Just don't see a fit right now.  Not saying go to a crazy offensive scheme, just to make some adjustments to fit the personnel that is there now.   

The thing is, to a large extent we are not running a true zone read type of offense (I think I may have had a conversation with a friend of yours on another board on this topic (assuming he uses the same name on multiple boards)).  They may "look" like it but they are designed plays to use the personnel we have.  Saturday night we started changing our blocking schemes in the 2nd quarter and really changed them at the half.  For example, on Hurds first longer run we ran a counter, out of the RO set.  The 2nd Hurd run was a "classic" RO blocking scheme.  In between those to end points we were using some really different blocking schemes at times.  Sometimes effective, sometimes not.

The O-Line blocked much better in the 2nd half.  There were far fewer breakdowns.  Thomas was night and day different as he went from looking like a HS FR in the first half to a college FR in the 2nd half.  Our biggest issues in pass blocking were handling twists (never really resolved it) and individual breakdowns, mostly by the RG though overall the pass blocking improved significantly in the 2nd half. 

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 05:35:38 EDT »

The thing is, to a large extent we are not running a true zone read type of offense (I think I may have had a conversation with a friend of yours on another board on this topic (assuming he uses the same name on multiple boards)).  They may "look" like it but they are designed plays to use the personnel we have.  Saturday night we started changing our blocking schemes in the 2nd quarter and really changed them at the half.  For example, on Hurds first longer run we ran a counter, out of the RO set.  The 2nd Hurd run was a "classic" RO blocking scheme.  In between those to end points we were using some really different blocking schemes at times.  Sometimes effective, sometimes not.

The O-Line blocked much better in the 2nd half.  There were far fewer breakdowns.  Thomas was night and day different as he went from looking like a HS FR in the first half to a college FR in the 2nd half.  Our biggest issues in pass blocking were handling twists (never really resolved it) and individual breakdowns, mostly by the RG though overall the pass blocking improved significantly in the 2nd half. 

Call it what you will - which is why I termed it the spread/read/zone option - but it is a read option based offense no matter how one tries to dissect it.  In that scheme the QB has to pull it and run it on occasion just to keep the "gatekeeper" honest.  SEC DCs are too good not to see the pattern. 

Which friend were you conversing with?

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 07:10:54 EDT »

Just because Worley is not mobile doesn't mean he is not the best option.  As Pirate points out, we likely have tailored our approach to the talent.  Worley is doing fine.  I am less worried about the future, but next year will be a bit rough, breaking in a new guy.  Then again, Dobbs has experience and maybe Peterman can get some more seasoning.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2014, 08:19:51 EDT »

Just because Worley is not mobile doesn't mean he is not the best option.  As Pirate points out, we likely have tailored our approach to the talent.  Worley is doing fine.  I am less worried about the future, but next year will be a bit rough, breaking in a new guy.  Then again, Dobbs has experience and maybe Peterman can get some more seasoning.

Don't dispute anything, and as I said if Worley is our best option then we don't have a QB on campus right now to run that offense, and it is a read option offense of some sort, no matter what one tries to call it.  And if one of the options is not exercised, then it is pretty much a useless offensive scheme to be running.  SEC DCs are way too smart for that. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: