VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 09:04:25 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okay we've seen the Vols play three games. Anyone changed their minds about  (Read 5124 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2014, 07:51:55 EDT »

what remaining games the Vols will be favored in? I have the Vols beating Vandy, Chatt and "probably" UK. I still am of the opinion that getting bowl eligible will  be a great job by coaching staff. Who is best bet to be the victim of us that we shouldn't beat, but do? I think one shortcoming of ours that is the hardest to overcome is depth. All the good teams we play can wear us out due to our lack of depth. You can't make a player un-tired.

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 08:21:13 EDT »

No mind change here. 

My brain still says 5-7, and my heart hopes for 6-6 and bowl eligibility. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 09:14:49 EDT »

One thing that gives me a bit of giddy, irrational hope is that the top of the SEC doesn't appear to be hardly as strong as we all feared it would be. One thing that makes me wince is that the bottom of the SEC appears to be stronger than we all thought it would be.

Before the season started, I thought we would beat Utah State, Arkansas State, Chattanooga, Kentucky and Vanderbilt, and hoped to split the Florida and Missouri games, with the rest being losses. I think we'll beat someone we aren't supposed to along the way this season, but I also think there's a better-than-average chance that we lose to someone we aren't supposed to.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 09:20:14 EDT »

One thing that gives me a bit of giddy, irrational hope is that the top of the SEC doesn't appear to be hardly as strong as we all feared it would be. One thing that makes me wince is that the bottom of the SEC appears to be stronger than we all thought it would be.

Before the season started, I thought we would beat Utah State, Arkansas State, Chattanooga, Kentucky and Vanderbilt, and hoped to split the Florida and Missouri games, with the rest being losses. I think we'll beat someone we aren't supposed to along the way this season, but I also think there's a better-than-average chance that we lose to someone we aren't supposed to.

Yeah, I still think we beat somebody we probably shouldn't, but lose to somebody we probably shouldn't, as well.  That's just how young teams seem to react. 

Hope I am wrong.  Even if it is the lowest of the lowest tiered bowls out there, I'd like to see the name "Tennessee" in the bowl lineup after the regular season is done. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 09:29:24 EDT »

Yes I have. We're a better team at QB and defense than I expected, and I think the secondary can be very good. So

I am counting Vandy and Chattanooga as wins right now.

UGA - They're actually beatable. They have great RBs, but may lose #2 RB Chubb against us. They have an average Qb and average defense, with a bad secondary.
FL - Their defense isn't as good as I expected, and their offense is a little better than I thought, but I think they're beatable, especially at Neyland where we play better.
Ole Miss - I think they will beat us pretty handily. Their defense is very good.
Bama - You know, I think they have QB issues, and they can certainly be scored on. Not a dominant D. We have a chance, at home
SCe  - Tough game at Columbia, but their weakness goes up against our strength, and their strength up against our strength on D. Winnable
UK- will be tougher than anticipated. Glad it's at home.
Mizzou - They are better than I anticipated, and have a Manziel-like QB. I think we have a shot, and it is at home.

So, I think out of  UGA/FL/Bama/SCe/Mizzou, definitely can get two wins out of those 5. Maybe 3.

I think we win against UK

OM on the road looks like a loss to me right now.

Glad we miss aTm and Auburn this year.

so, 4 sure wins, +3 = 7 wins. I think it's doable

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 11:17:10 EDT »

This is honestly not aimed at anybody in particular, but from what we have seen thus far if anybody  believes that we go to either Georgia or South Carolina and get a win, then they really need to take the orange colored glasses off.  Thinking and hoping with the heart may lead one to believe we have a shot, but using sound reason and rational thinking just doesn't make is realistic.  The program is just not on the level of either of those yet, and especially going on the road. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:22:34 EDT »

Yes I have. We're a better team at QB and defense than I expected, and I think the secondary can be very good. So

I am counting Vandy and Chattanooga as wins right now.

UGA - They're actually beatable. They have great RBs, but may lose #2 RB Chubb against us. They have an average Qb and average defense, with a bad secondary.
FL - Their defense isn't as good as I expected, and their offense is a little better than I thought, but I think they're beatable, especially at Neyland where we play better.
Ole Miss - I think they will beat us pretty handily. Their defense is very good.
Bama - You know, I think they have QB issues, and they can certainly be scored on. Not a dominant D. We have a chance, at home
SCe  - Tough game at Columbia, but their weakness goes up against our strength, and their strength up against our strength on D. Winnable
UK- will be tougher than anticipated. Glad it's at home.
Mizzou - They are better than I anticipated, and have a Manziel-like QB. I think we have a shot, and it is at home.

So, I think out of  UGA/FL/Bama/SCe/Mizzou, definitely can get two wins out of those 5. Maybe 3.

I think we win against UK

OM on the road looks like a loss to me right now.

Glad we miss aTm and Auburn this year.

so, 4 sure wins, +3 = 7 wins. I think it's doable

Pretty much my thoughts, though I think the chicken game is winable, even in Columbia.  With our receivers and Worley we should lite up their back 7.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 11:37:51 EDT »

Pretty much my thoughts, though I think the chicken game is winable, even in Columbia.  With our receivers and Worley we should lite up their back 7.

Just for discussion, how is our defense going to stop Spurrier's offense that scored 38 on UGA? 

Just don't see it happening.  Don't see us being able to outscore Spurrier's offense. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 12:01:50 EDT »

Just for discussion, how is our defense going to stop Spurrier's offense that scored 38 on UGA? 

Just don't see it happening.  Don't see us being able to outscore Spurrier's offense. 

Bulldogs doesn't have a good a secondary as everyone thinks...Why shoudn't SC put points on them?  The Vols will do the same!
If AJ and crew hold  "girly" down, Vols will come out a win closer to a bowl game!
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 12:13:18 EDT »

Actually, one of the things that gives me hope about our team this season is the play of our defense through the first three games. And I feel like we've played well enough agains the run. But stopping Gurley...that's a tough order. We're going to find out real fast next weekend just how much our D has progressed.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 12:45:17 EDT »

Actually, one of the things that gives me hope about our team this season is the play of our defense through the first three games. And I feel like we've played well enough agains the run. But stopping Gurley...that's a tough order. We're going to find out real fast next weekend just how much our D has progressed.
We'll sell out to stop the run like we did Saturday night and dare them to be us with their QB.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 12:46:42 EDT »

The OBC's offense isn't all that IMO.  It is a step down fro last year's IMO.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 01:10:10 EDT »

So when you guys say we'll "lose to someone we shouldn't", you can only be talking about UK, right?  Because there are only three such games left.  We're not losing to UTC, and barring a catastrophic run of injuries, we're not losing to Vandy either.  

They're definitely improved, but we'll get them at home.  And thanks to Derek Dooley and Tyler Bray, I don't think our guys will be overlooking them again any time soon.

Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 02:33:24 EDT »

So when you guys say we'll "lose to someone we shouldn't", you can only be talking about UK, right?  Because there are only three such games left.  We're not losing to UTC, and barring a catastrophic run of injuries, we're not losing to Vandy either.  

They're definitely improved, but we'll get them at home.  And thanks to Derek Dooley and Tyler Bray, I don't think our guys will be overlooking them again any time soon.

Kentucky is one I have in mind. I don't think that's impossible. They walked into the Swamp and nearly beat Florida. Should've beaten Florida. And we lost to Vandy at home last year.

But I was also thinking Florida/Missouri. Granted, I don't think anyone thinks we SHOULD beat either of those teams, but most UT fans seem convinced that UT will take one of the two...and barring an upset somewhere else, bowl eligibility will depend on beating one of them. So to lose both of those would be pretty disappointing.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 05:01:02 EDT »

I was on record earlier as being a bit worried about UK.  I just have this feeling that even as Vandy returns to doormat status, UK is rising to take their place.

On the other hand, I was not that impressed with the Ohio win.  Their offense basically stalled for 2.5 quarters.  They didn't do much against UF until late either.

I am not quite sure what to make of the UF game.  Is UF still that bad, or are they better and UK has improved?  I think a bit of each, but it will take another game or two to sort out.

I still think we beat UK but it's not automatic.  I think we can beat, in order of likelyhood, Florida, USC jr, Mizzou, Uga, and bammer.  I would have uga ahead of bammer but they lost to USC jr.  Uga is also one of those teams we very often seem to do well against no matter how good they are or where it is played.

Speaking of which, that is very true of USC-uga.  That game is often won by the second best team in terms of talent or overall record for that year.  Thus I tend to discount USC jr beating uga.

At this point in the season, I am a bit more sold on Mizzou than most seem to be.  They started slow but have looked better every week.  We won't know for sure until the SEC season starts though.

I still expect 5-7 but think 6-6 is very possible and I think that more so every week.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: