VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 05:50:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's y'alls opinion of the Adrian Peterson story. My main issue is that there  (Read 15432 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2014, 08:16:20 EDT »

is a difference in spanking and abusing. Some people feel it is wrong to spank at any time. I don't. I feel Peterson abused his kid however. He went over the line. If you don't want to spank your kid don't. Don't tell me how to discipline mine. Spanking is not abusing necessarily. Sorry if this is too political. Cowherd said it was cultural in the south. That people in the east do not spank kids. I call BS.

volsboyinsodak
Be-the-Vol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 08:51:28 EDT »

And your BS would be right.  That is a blanket statement that I don't think he can back up.  He is probably saying that based on the people that he knows, not the population as a whole.  I'm also getting sick and tired of hearing that certain bad behavior is a southern cultural thing (has he ever spent any time in the south?).  I heard it with the dog fighting mess and now the Perterson mess (there was another mess that was also claimed to be a southern thing, but that would get too political).  I was raised in the south and never held, saw, or heard of dog fights growing up.  I also never abused my children (although I occasionally spanked them).  Maybe I'm just the southern exception.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 08:59:57 EDT »

And your BS would be right.  That is a blanket statement that I don't think he can back up.  He is probably saying that based on the people that he knows, not the population as a whole.  I'm also getting sick and tired of hearing that certain bad behavior is a southern cultural thing (has he ever spent any time in the south?).  I heard it with the dog fighting mess and now the Perterson mess (there was another mess that was also claimed to be a southern thing, but that would get too political).  I was raised in the south and never held, saw, or heard of dog fights growing up.  I also never abused my children (although I occasionally spanked them).  Maybe I'm just the southern exception.

Does "southern thing" = "black thing"? Which cowherd won't say for obvious reasons. 

Dog fighting is a cultural thing imo. Spanking is not. I grew up in the Midwest and got my ass beat plenty. Lol

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 09:12:00 EDT »

It's human nature to stereotype and pigeonhole. Makes us feel better when things fit into convenient little categories. Cowherd says it's a Southern thing. Charles Barkley says it's a "black" thing. We all know that neither one is true.

What irritates me about the Peterson issue is that everyone wants to take sides. There seems to be no middle ground; just the extremes...either beating your kid is your prerogative as a parent and no one should intervene, or you should go to jail if you spank your kid. Why can't there be an agreement that spanking is okay, but Peterson went too far? I took a lot of whippings as a child -- from my mom and dad, and also from my teachers and principal. And a lot of them were with a switch (or a "tree branch" if your employer is one of the cable news networks). But I never took a whipping like that kid took, and  took a couple of whippings that I would never dream of doling out on my own kids.

My personal opinion is that leaving cuts on a kid is abuse. And four years old is too young for a whipping with a switch, ever.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 09:35:18 EDT »

My take is: Violence isn't the answer to discipline kids. In fact, in general, violence isn't the answer.

Peterson seems to have a problem - he's a 6'1 230 lb grown man beating a 4 year old with a switch. What he did is abuse. I don't take issue with a spanking on the butt, but I never do or did  it to my kids because I feel there are much better methods. It seems to have worked for us so far.

Be-the-Vol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 10:09:29 EDT »

It's human nature to stereotype and pigeonhole. Makes us feel better when things fit into convenient little categories. Cowherd says it's a Southern thing. Charles Barkley says it's a "black" thing. We all know that neither one is true.

What irritates me about the Peterson issue is that everyone wants to take sides. There seems to be no middle ground; just the extremes...either beating your kid is your prerogative as a parent and no one should intervene, or you should go to jail if you spank your kid. Why can't there be an agreement that spanking is okay, but Peterson went too far? I took a lot of whippings as a child -- from my mom and dad, and also from my teachers and principal. And a lot of them were with a switch (or a "tree branch" if your employer is one of the cable news networks). But I never took a whipping like that kid took, and  took a couple of whippings that I would never dream of doling out on my own kids.

My personal opinion is that leaving cuts on a kid is abuse. And four years old is too young for a whipping with a switch, ever.

This
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 10:18:58 EDT »

Nike stores in MN are pulling AP mechandise frome their shelves.  Which brings the best line of the day: If Nike's mad at you for the way you treat children you know you've really crossed the line.

But as to my opinion, I believe in spanking but leaving marks is definitely abuse. 
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 10:32:15 EDT »

Spare the rod and spoil the child, I asways say.  I got a switch used on me plenty growing up, and i deserved it and strived not to make the same mistake twice.  I dont switch my kids but would if they needed it.   I turned out fine.  I got no problem with spanking, the problem I have with the Peterson incident is I think the child was too young to have that strong a spanking or switching.  I was a holy terror until the switch came out!  My granny used a yard stick, it didnt hurt at all, and didnt stop me from misbehaving, but the privit switch worked. 

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 12:10:30 EDT »

If Nike's mad at you for the way you treat children you know you've really crossed the line.

Yeah...that is bad

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 01:09:25 EDT »

My mother never had to spank me. But she did have a tone and level of voice and a look that made you want to jump off a cliff rather than take the lecture. I got "The Look" a lot growing up, because I was head-strong and opinionated. My wife asked her once had I always been this way. Mom replied "Well, he always was a might ornery." Looking back, I am surprised she did not beat me. Look up ornery and all the synonyms and that was me as a child.

Spanking a child is acceptable only if you need to and only if it does not result in abuse. If you abuse a child (even your own), you should be subject to arrest and punishment. Disciplining a child takes patience.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 05:07:38 EDT »

I have been expressing that i also think spanking is okay but that it should be done in moderation.  The child should not be physically hurt and his kid clearly was.

So I am taking the middle ground...he has a right to spank his child, but not with excessive force.  He went too far.  That does not make him a hardened criminal, but he should definitley not repeat the behavior.

I have no idea how the courts treat these matters, but if I was the judge a stiff fine and loss of visitation rights for an extended period would seem appropriate, as well as required counseling (which he is already doing perhaps).

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 12:18:13 EDT »

I spanked very sparingly when my kids were growing up, but never used a switch.   The pictures I saw, which said they were 4 days after the whipping, was WAY too far.   Getting a spanking with a switch is one thing, getting a beating with marks all over his body with a switch is child abuse....sorry, but he went too far with it.

Now my momma, with 3 boys and 1 girl, used a dang belt!  Ouch!

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 03:29:49 EDT »

Legs, arms, backs, and scrotums are not for punishment.   Butts are for punishment.  Punishment does not include cuts and bruises.  Cuts and bruises constitute abuse.  Just my opinion.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 04:37:06 EDT »

Legs, arms, backs, and scrotums are not for punishment.   Butts are for punishment.  Punishment does not include cuts and bruises.  Cuts and bruises constitute abuse.  Just my opinion.

Agree 100%

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 07:19:07 EDT »

My problem with the whole situation is that there are thousands of kids abused everyday. Where is the outrage on a daily basis for them? Just because AP is rich and famous he gets his case plastered all over the news. Where is the outrage on daily basis for the kids abused by non-famous parents/people. Same with domestic violence. Where is the outrage for all the women who get abused daily by their men.

volsboyinsodak
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 08:14:56 EDT »

My problem with the whole situation is that there are thousands of kids abused everyday. Where is the outrage on a daily basis for them? Just because AP is rich and famous he gets his case plastered all over the news. Where is the outrage on daily basis for the kids abused by non-famous parents/people. Same with domestic violence. Where is the outrage for all the women who get abused daily by their men.

Are you serious ? There is outrage every day over them. There are organizations all over the world trying to prevent child abuse. Peterson is a high profile NFL guy, of course his story will get attention.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 08:18:27 EDT »

In my opinion, the Nike action is likely more an issue of wanting to stay on the "politically correct" side of the issue.  I could be wrong, though.

As for a switching now and again, I will have to agree with Hollerboy.  I got plenty of "switchin's", and more than one of em left their marks.  None of them ever did me any lasting damage, and they all probably helped make me a better individual.  They worked because they made me respect my mother/father's rules.  Or fear them (to me, its potAto/potato).

I would have rather been whipped three times with a belt than once with a switch.  The belt didn't work for me.

I tell people that my mother had an "all-herbal" cure for ADHD.  She cured mine with a good old-fashioned switch.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 08:20:47 EDT by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 08:44:27 EDT »

So nike rightfully thinks it's wrong to strike a child.  But apparently working a child for 20 hours a day at 12 cents an hour is A-OK.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 08:57:42 EDT »

They worked because they made me respect my mother/father's rules.  Or fear them (to me, its potAto/potato).

We've all had different experiences that shape our views on this, but I don't think the two things you said are potayto/potahto at all. Fear and respect are two completely different concepts, and fear is never requisite and rarely helpful in a parent/child relationship, IMO. I think fearing one's parents is a pretty unhealthy thing, actually.

JMO.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 09:09:19 EDT »

We've all had different experiences that shape our views on this, but I don't think the two things you said are potayto/potahto at all. Fear and respect are two completely different concepts, and fear is never requisite and rarely helpful in a parent/child relationship, IMO. I think fearing one's parents is a pretty unhealthy thing, actually.

JMO.

Agree to disagree.  Proverbs tells us that "He that spareth his rod hateth his son."  While religion is probably for another forum, it is the basis for my beliefs.

I can tell you this, nobody loves their parents more than I love mine.  They definitely did not spare the rod with me, and I definitely feared the consequences (I suppose I could have stated my original post differently).  I did fear them so far as what would happen when I got out of line.  That did not, in any way, affect the love that I had/have for them. 

Of course, they never spanked me out of anger.  It was always done out of love.  I believe this.  They always sat me down and explained to me what I had done that warranted the punishment before administering it.  I didn't like it, but I understood it.  At the time, I was not of the mind that it was helpful to me, but looking back now I see that their discipline is what helped make me into a responsible adult.

I respect your view.  I am not attempting to be argumentative.  I am just expressing my view of things, and as you said, we all have different experiences that shaped us.
UT Mom
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 09:11:57 EDT »

I know what my parents did to me for punishment, and how I punished our kids.
I did get a switch on my legs in the first grade.  It hurt , and stung, did leave small redness
For a few minutes.  But  I learned I didn't want it again.  When I was told to not do something
I didn't.
My four got spanked and are wonderful adults.  Would they have learned by me talking to them?  
I doubt it.  A famous man once said, " It never hurts to give a child a pat on the back occasionally
As long as it's low enough and hard enough".  

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 10:28:18 EDT »

I respect your view.  I am not attempting to be argumentative.  I am just expressing my view of things, and as you said, we all have different experiences that shaped us.

Same. One of the silver linings to bad things like this being in the news is that people like you and me get to hash it out and maybe understand the world and the rest of the people who inhabit it just a little better as a result.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 04:38:53 EDT »

My take is: Violence isn't the answer to discipline kids. In fact, in general, violence isn't the answer.

Peterson seems to have a problem - he's a 6'1 230 lb grown man beating a 4 year old with a switch. What he did is abuse. I don't take issue with a spanking on the butt, but I never do or did  it to my kids because I feel there are much better methods. It seems to have worked for us so far.

you sure are opinionated. I've beaten the crap out of my kids a time or two, and I would say they have turned out to be some of the best men to walk the earth. But what do I know.....

11B4PJ3F7
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 04:46:59 EDT »

So nike rightfully thinks it's wrong to strike a child.  But apparently working a child for 20 hours a day at 12 cents an hour is A-OK.

It's them furriners that's tryin' to sneak into our country and impose Sharia law and blow everthin' up, so who gives a shizzle?   

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 03:28:15 EDT »

you sure are opinionated. I've beaten the crap out of my kids a time or two, and I would say they have turned out to be some of the best men to walk the earth. But what do I know.....

Of course I am opinionated. That's mostly what we do here on these boards, discuss, give opinions, etc. Is that ok?

As for your statement, I'll take your word for it, but it doesn't sound like A Peterson getting beat by his folks helped him become such a great guy?  It's all statistics, I guess, some will turn out fine, many won't.

Here's the thing. If I went out, found some four year old and beat him with a switch, I'd be arrested for assault of a child and child abuse. People would hate me and I'd get a jail sentence. So why is it ok to do the same if it's your four year old? Abuse is abuse.

I've never hit my children beyond an occasional light slap on the butt. I believe there's a line between discipline and abuse. For my kids, other methods work much better.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: