VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 12:12:29 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A QB away...  (Read 1876 times)
Creek Walker
« on: September 28, 2014, 04:56:02 EDT »

Before the season started, the comment was made so many times that Tennessee is "a quarterback away from competing for the SEC championship in 2015." The implication there, obviously, was that Tennessee would sign a gifted QB this year and all the pieces of the puzzle would be in place for UT to be a contender next season.

How many can honestly say they thought we would be sitting here right now, four games into the season, thinking not about how we're a QB away from being a contender in the SEC next season but thinking about how much we're going to miss Justin Worley?

It was obvious during the Utah State game that Worley was night-and-day this season compared to last. But I seriously doubted his ability to throw downfield enough to win us SEC games. At this point, I'm inclined to think that UT is going to win a game it isn't supposed to win at some point this season, and when that happens, Worley is going to be a big reason why.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 05:07:23 EDT »

Whomever wins the job next year (I think it will be between Dobbs and Dormady), I don't expect a huge dropoff at QB, if only because the rest of the offense around him should be so much better- especially the OL.  Also, those guys' skill sets are better suited to this offense.

That's to take nothing away from Worley.  He's turning in the gutsiest season I can remember from a UT QB.  Guys like Dickey, Kelly, Clausen, and Crompton would also enter that discussion, but I don't think any of them faced the degree of difficulty that Worley has this year. 

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 11:42:19 EDT »

Before the season started, the comment was made so many times that Tennessee is "a quarterback away from competing for the SEC championship in 2015." The implication there, obviously, was that Tennessee would sign a gifted QB this year and all the pieces of the puzzle would be in place for UT to be a contender next season.

How many can honestly say they thought we would be sitting here right now, four games into the season, thinking not about how we're a QB away from being a contender in the SEC next season but thinking about how much we're going to miss Justin Worley?

It was obvious during the Utah State game that Worley was night-and-day this season compared to last. But I seriously doubted his ability to throw downfield enough to win us SEC games. At this point, I'm inclined to think that UT is going to win a game it isn't supposed to win at some point this season, and when that happens, Worley is going to be a big reason why.
Worley doesn't have the greatest of skills but he gives everything he has and seems to play his best in the clutch.  He is a lot like Andy Kelly in that he can frustrate earlier in the game but WOW you in the end.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: