VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 01:50:05 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So Florida is pretty much a must-win  (Read 4572 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2014, 09:24:12 EDT »

Do you agree?

Oh and hi.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 09:26:34 EDT »

Hey Boss. Nice to see you back on here. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:38:28 EDT »

Well when you say things like "must win" you need to define the alternative. What happens if we don't win? Fire Butch? Staff changes? Or do you just mean people will start losing hope?

If it's the last one, then in some ways I agree that it is a must win. The fans need this. But they'll be back when we do finally win a couple of big ones and go bowling, which could happen this year even if we don't beat UF.

If it's one of the first two, nuh uh. Not a must win in that sense.

And hi back, brother. I hope you and your ladies are doing well.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 09:39:16 EDT »

I know that to everyone outside of Vol Nation technically it's "just another SEC game", but we all know this one's different.  We know the psychological hurdle and the anxiety that started this morning when we got out of bed and thought "it's UF week".  No, Butch isn't on the hot seat if we lose.. and he will continue to rebuild.  But a win over UF makes it real.  In all honesty, if we don't beat UF this weekend I will be devastated.  I'm desperate for a win over UF.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 09:42:07 EDT »

Well when you say things like "must win" you need to define the alternative. What happens if we don't win? Fire Butch? Staff changes? Or do you just mean people will start losing hope?

If it's the last one, then in some ways I agree that it is a must win. The fans need this. But they'll be back when we do finally win a couple of big ones and go bowling, which could happen this year even if we don't beat UF.

If it's one of the first two, nuh uh. Not a must win in that sense.

And hi back, brother. I hope you and your ladies are doing well.

It's the latter with a smidge of the middle option, depending on how well the season goes. Not saying we have to make staff changes this week if we lose this week, but to me a loss would mean that we don't have the right staff in place unless we get off the mat and beat enough of SC, Ole Miss, Mizzou to get to a bowl game. Florida is badly coached and underwhelming pretty much everywhere except DL and one CB. It has to end this year.

Everybody is great, thanks for asking. Had one hell of a 40th birthday blowout for the Mrs back in August. Kids are middle school / high school now. Oldest just made midstate freshman honors women's chorus. Been in Dallas and Atlanta recently, headed to Vegas next week.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 09:42:53 EDT »

I know that to everyone outside of Vol Nation technically it's "just another SEC game", but we all know this one's different.  We know the psychological hurdle and the anxiety that started this morning when we got out of bed and thought "it's UF week".  No, Butch isn't on the hot seat if we lose.. and he will continue to rebuild.  But a win over UF makes it real.  In all honesty, if we don't beat UF this weekend I will be devastated.  I'm desperate for a win over UF.

Agree.

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 09:49:28 EDT »

a case of the fanbase being emotionally exhausted and really could use this one to re-energize the batteries and the soul. I think we get the Gators with us being at home and while they are favored I really like the way our guys are playing and feel we should be favored. I am in awe of the job of coaching these younguns up that our staff has done....we are going to make serious noise over the length of the reign of Butch Jones.      
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 09:50:05 EDT »

It's the latter with a smidge of the middle option, depending on how well the season goes. Not saying we have to make staff changes this week if we lose this week, but to me a loss would mean that we don't have the right staff in place unless we get off the mat and beat enough of SC, Ole Miss, Mizzou to get to a bowl game. Florida is badly coached and underwhelming pretty much everywhere except DL and one CB. It has to end this year.

We're probably not far apart on that, and I agree that losing to UF and then failing to make a bowl certainly looks like a lack of progress (though 5-7 wasn't exactly an unlikely outcome heading into the season).

Florida's defensive front scares me but otherwise their talent (which is still good) has to overcome a whole lot of bad coaching. If we don't make the really big mistakes then I think we win-- so I'm quite glad Worley wasn't hurt worse than he was. He's taken pretty good care of the football.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Flea
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 04:45:56 EDT »

Hell yes it's a must win! Oh, you mean for y'all.  No. You can still have a good year with a loss to UF. You could still win out except for Bama. And if you do that, everyone in Vollywood will be ecstatic. So no, not a must win. FOR Y'ALL.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 01:29:02 EDT »

No, not a must win. There won't be any of those until next year.  My expectations for this season were 5-7 and I am not budging from that.  I am optimistic that we will do better, but we are still a year or even two away from where I would expect us to compete for the SEC.  I would say one year, if not for the QB situation.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 01:29:41 EDT »

We know the psychological hurdle and the anxiety that started this morning when we got out of bed and thought "it's UF week".  

No we don't.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 01:50:51 EDT »

No we don't.   

Right.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: