VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 01:11:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God how I miss David Cutcliffe.***  (Read 2717 times)
VOLveeta
« on: October 19, 2014, 04:24:26 EDT »

nm
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 05:57:59 EDT »

Agreed

Go Big Orange.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 06:52:13 EDT »

So did Fulmer!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 08:28:35 EDT »

The funny thing is, there were a lot of people who hated him and thought he was too conservative.  Then there was the crowd that wanted nothing to do with any coaches from the Fulmer era.  Too bad, I guess.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 01:41:17 EDT »

The funny thing is, there were a lot of people who hated him and thought he was too conservative.  Then there was the crowd that wanted nothing to do with any coaches from the Fulmer era.  Too bad, I guess.

Yeah, I remember specifically when anyone suggested we hire Cut to follow Fulmer there were lots of Vol fans that shouted it down.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 09:03:14 EDT »

Yeah, I remember specifically when anyone suggested we hire Cut to follow Fulmer there were lots of Vol fans that shouted it down.   

Yep.  Not entirely sure he wanted it after Kiffin, but I had hoped Fulmer could eventually be eased out and Cut would be the obvious choice to replace.  Didn't happen though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 09:13:38 EDT »

IIRC, it was heavily rumored that Hammy offered Cut after Kiffin left, and he accepted on the condition that he be allowed to bring over his entire Duke staff en masse.  In hindsight, that would've been better than hiring Dooley for sure.  But it was certainly less than ideal.  We had already employed a couple of those guys (Roper, Luke), and knew that they brought absolutely nothing to the table.  So Hamilton passed, and I don't blame him.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 09:17:30 EDT »

IIRC, it was heavily rumored that Hammy offered Cut after Kiffin left, and he accepted on the condition that he be allowed to bring over his entire Duke staff en masse.  In hindsight, that would've been better than hiring Dooley for sure.  But it was certainly less than ideal.  We had already employed a couple of those guys (Roper, Luke), and knew that they brought absolutely nothing to the table.  So Hamilton passed, and I don't blame him.

He made it work at Dook, and so long as Cut is in charge I think he could overide those guys.  Not sure who his DC would be though, and that is what perhaps the weakness would have been.

I don't care who his staff is, the offense would at least be competent with Cut as HC (note how Roper is stinking it up at Florida and Dook has not missed a beat?).  IMO...

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 09:21:10 EDT »

He made it work at Dook, and so long as Cut is in charge I think he could overide those guys.  Not sure who his DC would be though, and that is what perhaps the weakness would have been.

I don't care who his staff is, the offense would at least be competent with Cut as HC (note how Roper is stinking it up at Florida and Dook has not missed a beat?).  IMO...

Well, keep in mind that at the time, he had gone 4-8 and 5-7 at Duke.  If he was having the success there that he is today, maybe we would have taken him.  But he wasn't yet setting the world on fire at that time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: