VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 02:56:56 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Report (Offense)  (Read 2077 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2014, 05:07:31 EDT »

OL: The OL had a terrible night.  Kerbyson had a night I'm sure he would like to forget.  Gilliam doesn't have the lateral mobility he needs after the knee injury.  Thomas had the best night of the DTs, don't know why he left the game.  BTW the sack was Worley's fault as Thomas was doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing.  Speaking of sacks, while the line was at ault, more often Worley had time to make throws and/or move around and did not.  I'd say 75% of the sacks were on Worley.  Sanders played, Pair played, Kendrick played, among others (starting in the 3rd quarter)

RB:  Hurd played well, the rest should have stayed on the bus.

WR:  Malone played very well, was getting open all night and caught what was within reach.  Pig probably the next best, but a drop off from MAlone.  The rest were inconsistent.  On one pass to Malone Von was wide open and a good pass could have been a TD, only a safety to beat.  TEs not a good night.  Blocking by WRs sucked all night.  IF we ever can get Smith and Malone on the field together there would be plenty of targets to throw to as they both can get separation/open.

QB:  Bad pass after bad pass, bad decision after bad decision.  Whatever mojo Worley had, it is gone.  There were a lot of  moments last night.  Consistent underthrows on deep balls, rushing screens and flares (it would be helpful to allow the OL to get out to block before dumping the ball off, especially when you have more time ...).  The question is, is there a valid alternative?  I'm not sure.  As someone said, next year's QB is not on campus yet.

Coaching:  Jake has a limited arsenal to work with, with a poor OL and QB pay that leaves a lot to be desire,  Still, we tend not to try quick passes, such as slants.  Hell, it got to where I was getting the play call right a lot more than I should. 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 05:10:50 EDT »

So what you're saying is...

ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 07:15:05 EDT »

Yep...looks about right.

Go Big Orange.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 09:08:18 EDT »

You know, it just occured to me last night to wonder this, as I heard that term not only on this board but the ESPN talking heads referred to the Tamu defense the same way, but...

...does that phrase originate with Kiffin leaving UT?  Did we start the tradition of calling football disasters "dumpster fires"?

LOL!  I think we did.  I don't recall hearing it prior to 2009.

What a dubious distinction if so.  Kind of funny though....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 09:12:14 EDT »

Agree that Malone was about the only guy to show up on offense.  I am not sure what's going on with North, but he dropped a long one that hit him in the mitts.  It was not the easiest catch, but he has made far tougher catches.

Worley was in fact part of the problem. Often did hold the ball too long.  There is a lot of talk about what the staff can and can't do with the OL limitations.  Well, Worley has a high completion percentage and a lot of sacks.  Tell him to THROW THE DAM BALL AWAY!  That should not be too tough.  INTs are much preferable to sacks.

I assume Lane is still injured?  I miss Rajion...he was closer to a power back then anything we have had lately (other than Hurd) and could probably grind a yard or two after contact.  Those would at least add up over the course of the game.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: