VTTW Board Index
April 24, 2024, 01:50:18 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listened to Doug Matthews today on  (Read 1893 times)
SmokeyJoe
« on: October 19, 2014, 07:49:53 EDT »

104.5. Have to agree with him. This O ain't very good at anything but why not put a fullback in there, and let this OL try to knock the heck out of the guy in front of him and run some play action??? One thing I hate is when coaches CANNOT or WILL NOT adapt the fizzleing scheme. Also, if they insist on the "read" option Worley simply must keep the fizzleing ball 6-7 times a game! That's probably on him though! God he had an awful game last night! Oh well. A beautiful day here in the midstate with family & friends.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 07:54:48 EDT »

Basically Matthews was saying drop back, shot gun passing ain't going to work. Try something else.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 08:10:42 EDT »

104.5. Have to agree with him. This O ain't very good at anything but why not put a fullback in there, and let this OL try to knock the heck out of the guy in front of him and run some play action??? One thing I hate is when coaches CANNOT or WILL NOT adapt the fizzleing scheme. Also, if they insist on the "read" option Worley simply must keep the fizzleing ball 6-7 times a game! That's probably on him though! God he had an awful game last night! Oh well. A beautiful day here in the midstate with family & friends.
Well, for one thing we have ZERO (0) full backs.  We do often run with an H-back, and usually have some success.
For another, the O-line has proven they cannot just knock the stuffing out of anybody.
For yet another, the O-line is built for zone blocking, which is evident that when we don't run left the TB Is looking for creases on the backside of the zone blocking scheme. 
Butch is right I that we really aren't running a zone read.  We run a lot of counters, especially to the left side. 

Jake HAS adapted.  Whatever effective running we have had this year is the result of a CHANGE to the offense, i.e. the counter action and the H-back crossing the LOS to block.

The problem is NOT scheme - it is piss poor execution at two levels of the offense.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 08:55:01 EDT »

In fairness Matthews didn't mention a fullback, that was me Just terrible execution. I agree. Or inability to execute against better players/teams.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 09:15:36 EDT »

Butch actually addressed that in the presser Vinnie linked below.  He said we don't have fullbacks, but the H Back on the side just behind the line is the equivalent of a fullback.  He also said it's typically a TE.

I think our frosh TEs are pass catchers and not blockers is another bit of it.  I think the guy from last year (Blair?) is the best blocking TE, so perhaps more of him would be good.  Though I have heard he is a lousy blocker...not sure that's true though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: