VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 07:08:43 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Report (Defense)  (Read 1856 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2014, 06:12:14 EDT »

DL:  probably played the best of the three units.  We had three DTs get hurt.  Barnett got nicked up.  It was a war on the front lines   No real pressure on the QB all night, and no containment.

LB:  most of the game a non factor. The first play was a variation of a play we have not covered well all year.  Most of the time it is to AJ's side.  Tonight it was to R-M's side.  Twice the lBs couldn't get to the edge that led to rushing TDs.

DB:  worst game of the year by the group.  Williams had 2-3 plays in a row where he essentially didn't cover his man.  Moseley played the rest of the game.  Sutton got burned for a TD.  McNeil got toasted for what should have been a TD and TK played at least the next two series.

Coaching:  Lane outcoached our DC.  Kept us off balance all night.  We could not get off the field on 3rd down.  Worst game, by far for the defense this year.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 07:06:27 EDT »

Agree it was their worst performance...but I thought they did a good job recovering after the first 20 minutes.  For about the last 20 minutes of the game, we held them to 7.  Yes, bammer was definitely trying to run clock from the middle of the third on, but there were plenty of good plays by our D also, including a bunch of hurries on Sims, one sack, a couple good deflections and so forth.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 07:35:22 EDT »

we tried to outcoach ourselves by playing zone early and it bit us in the a$$. By the time we adjusted the game was pretty over. Coaching cost us big time on defense the first half.

I lost a little faith in our defense last night....shades of 2012 and 2013 returned.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 10:51:47 EDT »

we tried to outcoach ourselves by playing zone early and it bit us in the a$$. By the time we adjusted the game was pretty over. Coaching cost us big time on defense the first half.

I lost a little faith in our defense last night....shades of 2012 and 2013 returned.
One game does not a season make.
I questioned the scheme at Oregon last year (yeah I know) because primarily how we were playing the safeties - we seemed to walk up the weak side safety and it burned us at least a half dozen times.  We did the same thing the next game but then it went away.

BTW, the two big TDs by Cooper were against Man defense - the 2nd Sutton just got beat, fell hook, line and sinker to the in fake.  Did he expect safety help over the top, I don't know but that was McNeil's side of the defense.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 06:00:21 EDT »

One game does not a season make.
I questioned the scheme at Oregon last year (yeah I know) because primarily how we were playing the safeties - we seemed to walk up the weak side safety and it burned us at least a half dozen times.  We did the same thing the next game but then it went away.

BTW, the two big TDs by Cooper were against Man defense - the 2nd Sutton just got beat, fell hook, line and sinker to the in fake.  Did he expect safety help over the top, I don't know but that was McNeil's side of the defense.
Arkansas assigned a safety to always cover cooper and it worked like a charm.  He was held to 2 catches and about 20 yards and bammer only scored 14.  Kiffin is  a guy that at times over relies on one weapon.  He did it with a star reciever at USC also.  If that guy has a bad game, look out.

Granted bammer had two weeks to scheme around having cooper double teamed.  I wonder if the success of their run game last week scared our staff?  Bottom line...cooper should have been double teamed the entire game, IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: