VTTW Board Index
April 16, 2024, 04:31:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On paper, SC is a good matchup for us  (Read 3939 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2014, 02:43:58 EDT »

...their biggest weakness is their pass rush.  Well hallelujah.  I think every team we've played so far has had at least a couple guys who can get to the QB.  So that will be a refreshing change.  But is this team ready to win a road game against decent SEC competition?  It will be tough.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 02:48:32 EDT »

...their biggest weakness is their pass rush.  Well hallelujah.  I think every team we've played so far has had at least a couple guys who can get to the QB.  So that will be a refreshing change.  But is this team ready to win a road game against decent SEC competition?  It will be tough.
Come on man!  2001 and the funky chicken, 70K fans waving the white flag?
I will tell you one thing, there will be a large ORANGE contingent there as well.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 03:09:17 EDT »

On paper, I think USC should win. But, on paper, you're right - we match up better with the chickens than with any SEC team we've faced thus far. What a freakin' relief to play an average defense and a team that isn't ranked in the Top 10 in the nation.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 06:50:18 EDT »

On paper, I think USC should win. But, on paper, you're right - we match up better with the chickens than with any SEC team we've faced thus far. What a freakin' relief to play an average defense and a team that isn't ranked in the Top 10 in the nation.

Yep...about time we get a schedule break.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 08:04:36 EDT »

USCs offense has gotten better and the QB is playing well. Our DBs will need to be much better against them than they were against Bama to give us a chance.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 11:01:11 EDT »

USCs offense has gotten better and the QB is playing well. Our DBs will need to be much better against them than they were against Bama to give us a chance.
Our entire defense was out coached by Lane.  We couldn't get pressure, we couldn't get coverage (Williams got pulled because of it in favor of Mosely the rest of the night and McNeil was pulled in favor of TK for at least 2 series in the 2nd quarter (McNeil's man who caught the dying duck at the 2).  The LBs were a non-factor all night, for the first time all year, really out of position a LOT.  BTW, the first play was a variation on a play we have not covered well all year, starting with the OU game.  I give Sutton credit, after getting toasted he flat played well the rest of the night. 

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 03:17:05 EDT »

Rest assured the chickens will be fired up to play us after last year's game.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 06:39:38 EDT »

Our entire defense was out coached by Lane.  We couldn't get pressure, we couldn't get coverage (Williams got pulled because of it in favor of Mosely the rest of the night and McNeil was pulled in favor of TK for at least 2 series in the 2nd quarter (McNeil's man who caught the dying duck at the 2).  The LBs were a non-factor all night, for the first time all year, really out of position a LOT.  BTW, the first play was a variation on a play we have not covered well all year, starting with the OU game.  I give Sutton credit, after getting toasted he flat played well the rest of the night. 

Fortunately they don't have a WR like cooper.  Davis is a good back, but the combination of Yeldon and Henry is better.  I even give Sims the nod at QB.

Scoring D is only 100th in the country.  I like that.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
tngamecock
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 04:21:52 EDT »

Fortunately they don't have a WR like cooper.  Davis is a good back, but the combination of Yeldon and Henry is better.  I even give Sims the nod at QB.

Scoring D is only 100th in the country.  I like that.   

Question.......Is SC's scoring D as bad as UT's scoring O?  UT's offense not in the same ballpark as Auburn or UGA or KY or TAMU.  Actually, the SC defense is probably thanking the scheduling gods that UT is coming to town.  Now your defense is by far the strength of your team, and one of the tops in the league IMO.  So the match up against our offense will determine the outcome most likely.  Our O averages over 35 points a game and keeps getting better each week.  Our D is about like your offense. 

If your offensive coordinator would run something besides swing passes, you might have a few more W's this year.  If our D could stop junior high, we might have a few more as well.  This week should be interesting. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 04:39:46 EDT »

Question.......Is SC's scoring D as bad as UT's scoring O?  UT's offense not in the same ballpark as Auburn or UGA or KY or TAMU.  Actually, the SC defense is probably thanking the scheduling gods that UT is coming to town.  Now your defense is by far the strength of your team, and one of the tops in the league IMO.  So the match up against our offense will determine the outcome most likely.  Our O averages over 35 points a game and keeps getting better each week.  Our D is about like your offense.  

If your offensive coordinator would run something besides swing passes, you might have a few more W's this year.  If our D could stop junior high, we might have a few more as well.  This week should be interesting.  
Perhaps you didn't notice the wheel routes (North) or the deep ins (Howard) we completed Saturday night, or the TE seem routes (Wolfe) we ran three times, against a pretty good defense ....
Or our RB who gained (within a yard) of the total rushing yards per game the bamer defense had been allowing ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 06:28:36 EDT »

Question.......Is SC's scoring D as bad as UT's scoring O?  UT's offense not in the same ballpark as Auburn or UGA or KY or TAMU.  Actually, the SC defense is probably thanking the scheduling gods that UT is coming to town.  Now your defense is by far the strength of your team, and one of the tops in the league IMO.  So the match up against our offense will determine the outcome most likely.  Our O averages over 35 points a game and keeps getting better each week.  Our D is about like your offense. 

If your offensive coordinator would run something besides swing passes, you might have a few more W's this year.  If our D could stop junior high, we might have a few more as well.  This week should be interesting. 

We hung 32 on uga, and in less than 3 quarters with a change at QB we scored 20.  We have good talent at WR while your DBs are inexperienced.  I think our offense will do well...I expect our best offensive performance against an SEC opponent in fact. 

RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 04:28:18 EDT »

We did have only 10 yards less than the best offensive performance against Bama this year WVU 393 UT 383.
USCJr isn't Bama in any stretch of the imagination. Bama as a team only have 14 receptions. Granted 9 of them from Cooper but he's just a monster period. I think we have a good week and roll into the bye week with some confidence.

GO VOLS!!!   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: