VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 01:50:29 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IMO the keys to victory are as follows:  (Read 2688 times)
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2014, 02:53:59 EDT »

1. The defense must play much better than they did last week. SC can score points and IMO we can't get into a high scoring game.
2. Run effectively....SC has the SECs worst run D so if we have the same effort that we did last week there's no reason we shouldn't have a couple hundred rushing yards, this would take a lot of pressure off of Dobbs first start of the season and on the road at that.
3. Dobbs must not try to force passes....it's going to be cold and very windy, he needs to play calm and smart...run or throw it away but don't force it, we definitely don't need to overcome 2 or 3 INTs.

If Dobbs plays at least as good as he did last week, everyone stays healthy and the D returns to its former caliber of play, I think we have a decent shot at all of our remaining games.

GO BIG ORANGE!!!       
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 04:50:25 EDT »

I didn't know they had such a weak run D...that's encouraging.

Is Dobbs the starter?  I heard that Worley was still in the mix.

I agree with your last statement.  We are perfectly capable of going 4-0 down the stretch.

Last year's team played poorly to begin with, improved, and then regressed bigtime down the stretch.  This year's team started well and faltered.  A big sign of continuing improvement will be if they turn it around in the month of November, which is traditionally a strong month for Tennessee.

Go Vols!

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 04:55:36 EDT »

Worley will not be playing. There was some suggestion that Peterman will get some snaps but I doubt that's the case. I believe Saturday is Dobbs's show.

I think this is about two things: protecting the football and not having defensive busts like we had last week. Do that, and this is a game is a coin toss at worst. SC is so bad on D, and Thompson so prone to mistakes, that this is potentially a game where we could jump on them hard and fast and then play downhill the remainder of the game. Wouldn't that be a welcome change.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 09:47:11 EDT »

South Carolina does not have any receiver as good as Bama. UT got beat by one player alone.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 10:05:10 EDT »

South Carolina does not have any receiver as good as Bama. UT got beat by one player alone.

True they don't, and not many do, have a WR as good as Cooper but they do have 3 good WRs that are each integral parts of the passing game...they also have a good RB. SC has put up the points, not sure of their average but is seems it has to be around 30 per game, but their D is bad...this is why I think our Ds ability to slow their offense down well below their averages will be one of the keys...we can't get into a score fest with them. I think if we win the score will be around UT 24  SC 20....if we lose SC 34   UT 17.     
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 12:30:20 EDT »

They average 34.

About the "one receiver beating us".  The sad thing is, this is Kiffin's MO, an overdependance on one player.  He did it at SC also...they had some WR who was responsible for 40% of their offense.

Arkansas figured this out and also figured out a way to double Cooper without making it obvious who the second guy was.  Bammer kept thinking Cooper was in single coverage and had several near picks.  Whatever happened then, unfortunately bammer adjusted and we were not ready for it in the first half.

Of course, the first TD featured a really late sub by bammer that Jones complained about, and what to me was a blatant hold by a WR on our DB.   But so it goes....Cooper should not have been that open to begin with.

Satan himself broke down that play on "ESPN Film Room" this week.  They rolled Cooper in motion and we were not expecting it.

Still, I was at the stadium and saw our guys jumping all over the place.

I hope we show up better prepared tomorrow! 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 02:02:28 EDT »

To be honest, if this game were in Knoxville, I'd feel really confident.  I think it's a good matchup for us.  But this team hasn't won a roadgame against anyone with a pulse in...how long?  Seven years?  More? 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 04:30:44 EDT »

To be honest, if this game were in Knoxville, I'd feel really confident.  I think it's a good matchup for us.  But this team hasn't won a roadgame against anyone with a pulse in...how long?  Seven years?  More? 

Unless you count the neutral site win against NC State, which might even have been ranked at the time.

Thing is...does USC jr have a pulse?  I'm not sure....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: