VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 12:25:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm glad I left before the onsides kick fiasco  (Read 1871 times)
Creek Walker
« on: November 23, 2014, 03:28:45 EST »

I just watched that sequence this morning and it makes me furious even now. Not because the officials mangled the call (which they did) but because I'm viewing it in the spectrum of the way yesterday's game was officiated overall.

Let me say that I'm not excusing Tennessee's play or coaching. Execution was awful and playcalling was nearly as awful last night. This team was out-played and out-coached.

But I am sick and tired of SEC officials botching call after call in game after game every single week -- whether or not the game involves Tennessee. I've said it many times before and I'll say it again: The nation's premier football conference has the worst officiating of any of the power conferences. I realize UT benefited from a bad call or two last night, specifically the offensive pass interference (they made up for it with a phantom defensive holding call against UT on Missouri's 3rd quarter scoring drive). However, the Missouri O-line was holding almost every single time they went into pass protection. Derek Barnett was held on multiple occasions but Curt Maggitt was just molested by the right offensive tackle. On one second half drive I counted three straight plays where he was completely wrapped up. He broke through one to get a sack anyway. Only once all night was holding called when Maggitt was held, and that was because he acted and flailed his arms and forced the referee to throw a flag. People kept asking "Why does Missouri have all day to throw the ball?" Well, holding every time they drop back to pass certainly doesn't hurt.

Bad calls happen. It's part of the game. But holding on play after play, especially by the same player, is inexcusable. This conference's officials are terrible, and last night's crew flat-out sucked.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 07:32:01 EST »

Just wondering, how do you think the onside kick call was mangled? I hated it, but the call was right I thought.
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 07:34:34 EST »

Just wondering, how do you think the onside kick call was mangled? I hated it, but the call was right I thought.

It wasn't offsides. I haven't heard a single commentator who thinks otherwise...and obviously there are about 10,000 screenshots floating around the twitter verse that appear to show all players onsides as Medley's foot hit the ball.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 08:11:09 EST »

The only screeenshots I've seen are on RTI.  One of which is presented as definitive proof that we were robbed.  Problem is it looks like the camera was leaning at a 30 degree angle 10 yards upfield, which is hilarious.  What kind of crazy angle is that?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 08:26:03 EST »

I thought it was offsides last night...looking at it more closely just now, on the only angle they showed on TV, it was really close.  I think we got jobbed, but it was so close I can see how the officials blew it.  Suxes...but I am looking forward to pasting vandy and going to a bowl.  This would have been a huge win, but I was expecting 5-7, so....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: