VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 05:45:20 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you signed that petition to fire Cuonzo, you should be ashamed of yourself  (Read 15126 times)
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 04:44:21 EST »

Bandit, Your MNC-winning coach had become an after thought in the coaching community because he surrounded himself with mostly (not all) incompetent assistant coaches. He was not able to attract difference makers and the ones he could get never developed. Fulmer lost his eye for talent and they started going elsewhere.  As soon as Cutcliffe left for the last time, there went the actual head coach for the team. Fulmer's time passed and it was time for him to go. He just had to be pushed out the door because he did not realize that the people he had around him were going to cause his downfall. The game had passed him by. The game had evolved and Fulmer did not change. The real problems are in the top administration at UT. Hamilton was a fund raiser out of his league as AD and the Chancellor actually ran the department and probably still does. I do not think Hart makes any major policy or personnel decisions except with the approval of the UT administrator placed in his department. Hart is a figurehead in place to take all the blame if anything goes bad.

Yes I was one who thought Fulmer should have been replaced, but 3-4 years earlier. I thought Kiffiin was a desperate and bone-headed hire. Dooley was just beyond any classification in stupidity. Hamilton should have been fired for cause and given no money to leave. People still whining about Fulmer need to stop living in the past and past glories because the future is now.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 06:49:46 EST »

Bandit, Your MNC-winning coach had become an after thought in the coaching community because he surrounded himself with mostly (not all) incompetent assistant coaches. He was not able to attract difference makers and the ones he could get never developed. Fulmer lost his eye for talent and they started going elsewhere.  As soon as Cutcliffe left for the last time, there went the actual head coach for the team. Fulmer's time passed and it was time for him to go. He just had to be pushed out the door because he did not realize that the people he had around him were going to cause his downfall. The game had passed him by. The game had evolved and Fulmer did not change. The real problems are in the top administration at UT. Hamilton was a fund raiser out of his league as AD and the Chancellor actually ran the department and probably still does. I do not think Hart makes any major policy or personnel decisions except with the approval of the UT administrator placed in his department. Hart is a figurehead in place to take all the blame if anything goes bad.

Yes I was one who thought Fulmer should have been replaced, but 3-4 years earlier. I thought Kiffiin was a desperate and bone-headed hire. Dooley was just beyond any classification in stupidity. Hamilton should have been fired for cause and given no money to leave. People still whining about Fulmer need to stop living in the past and past glories because the future is now.

Yep. As I have stated before on this forum, firing Fulmer wasn't the mistake. It was time for him to go.  The mistake was in hiring an unproved and immature coach like Lane Kiffin, and then following him up with a smart assed rat bastard prick like Derek Dooley.  Mike Hamilton was way in over his head in making football hires. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 10:29:19 EST »

They created a situation where those two were hired.  Many of the most vocal critics of Fulmer were actually thrilled with Kiffin, and to this day state that they think he was doing a good job. 

As for Dooley, what coach would want to come to the dumpster fire Tennessee had become?  We ran off an MNC-winning coach and his idiot successor left just prior to signing day.  Less whining about the final Fulmer years and more patience would not have led to that situation.

I respect your opinion, but totally disagree.  The fans did not create that situation; the former head coach and AD did.  If the AD let the fans dictate his decisions, and I don't think he did, that's on him, not them.
Creek Walker
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 10:34:31 EST »

I had no real thoughts on Kiffin at the time. He thrilled me early with his brash attitude and his recruiting prowess. But I quickly became weary of his lame approach. He lost me completely with the gas-pumping comment. There's no doubt Kiffin was a good game day coach at Tennessee. There's also no doubt that he was good at getting highly-rated recruits to sign on the dotted line. (It's hard to call him a good recruiter, since the guys he pursued ultimately didn't pan out.) In hindsight, though, the bottom line is that Kiffin just was not a fit for Tennessee. Not culturally, not geographically, and not in any other manner. That has to be a part of it. Coaches have to "fit" their programs. That's a big part of why Kiffin ultimately jumped the first ship that sailed by the harbor, but it's also a big part of why he managed to alienate former players and a lot of other people around the program, because UT's tradition meant squat to him. It was a terrible hire by Hamilton. And, again, hindsight is a powerful tool to have, but it's hard to imagine that UT couldn't have made a better hire at that time. Despite two losing seasons in four years, Tennessee was still Tennessee.

The Kiffin train wreck likely would have made it impossible to hire a good coach the next year, but Hamilton managed to go even further when he hired Dooley. I liked Dooley because he said all the right things at his press conference. He had all the makings of a southern "gentleman," with good football pedigree and a rich tradition in SEC football. Plus he was not David Cutcliffe, who it had appeared just a couple of days earlier that UT was going to hire . . . a hire that I was opposed to (probably for all the wrong reasons). But the Dooley hire was a tremendous leap of faith for Hamilton. This is a guy who had a losing record at a mid-major. It was akin to Auburn's hire of Gene Chizik...that led to a national championship for Auburn, but only because he surrounded himself with the right people (namely, Gus Malzahn). Dooley lacked the competence to hire a staff that could cover up his shortcomings. He further deteriorated UT's already fragile relationship with high school coaches in the region, continued to alienate the football alumni, and his complete inability to recruit set the program back several seasons.

Hamilton was a numbers guy. That's what he was known for — improving the AD's bottom line. Much of that was due to his ability to fund-raise, but it was also partially due to his ability to manage budgets. I sincerely think that Hamilton hit a home run with the hire of Bruce Pearl and convinced himself that he could do the same thing in football...so he went after two bargain basement hires and struck out swinging on both of them. THAT is what set this program back...not the firing of Fulmer. I love Coach Fulmer and what he meant to Tennessee football for so many years, but if anything, the fact that he held on until the bitter end in '08 set the program back more than if he had retired in '07 or '05. Going through the doldrums of a transition was inevitable. Remember, many fans warned that UT might need a hire or two to get it right. It had happened to the SEC's biggest heavyweights over the preceding two decades. Sometimes a change results in temporary setback, even if it was the right thing to do. It was the right thing to do, but an incompetent athletics director was the biggest reason why we're still struggling to recover from that change.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 10:43:22 EST »

I had no real thoughts on Kiffin at the time. He thrilled me early with his brash attitude and his recruiting prowess. But I quickly became weary of his lame approach. He lost me completely with the gas-pumping comment. There's no doubt Kiffin was a good game day coach at Tennessee. There's also no doubt that he was good at getting highly-rated recruits to sign on the dotted line. (It's hard to call him a good recruiter, since the guys he pursued ultimately didn't pan out.) In hindsight, though, the bottom line is that Kiffin just was not a fit for Tennessee. Not culturally, not geographically, and not in any other manner. That has to be a part of it. Coaches have to "fit" their programs. That's a big part of why Kiffin ultimately jumped the first ship that sailed by the harbor, but it's also a big part of why he managed to alienate former players and a lot of other people around the program, because UT's tradition meant squat to him. It was a terrible hire by Hamilton. And, again, hindsight is a powerful tool to have, but it's hard to imagine that UT couldn't have made a better hire at that time. Despite two losing seasons in four years, Tennessee was still Tennessee.

The Kiffin train wreck likely would have made it impossible to hire a good coach the next year, but Hamilton managed to go even further when he hired Dooley. I liked Dooley because he said all the right things at his press conference. He had all the makings of a southern "gentleman," with good football pedigree and a rich tradition in SEC football. Plus he was not David Cutcliffe, who it had appeared just a couple of days earlier that UT was going to hire . . . a hire that I was opposed to (probably for all the wrong reasons). But the Dooley hire was a tremendous leap of faith for Hamilton. This is a guy who had a losing record at a mid-major. It was akin to Auburn's hire of Gene Chizik...that led to a national championship for Auburn, but only because he surrounded himself with the right people (namely, Gus Malzahn). Dooley lacked the competence to hire a staff that could cover up his shortcomings. He further deteriorated UT's already fragile relationship with high school coaches in the region, continued to alienate the football alumni, and his complete inability to recruit set the program back several seasons.

Hamilton was a numbers guy. That's what he was known for — improving the AD's bottom line. Much of that was due to his ability to fund-raise, but it was also partially due to his ability to manage budgets. I sincerely think that Hamilton hit a home run with the hire of Bruce Pearl and convinced himself that he could do the same thing in football...so he went after two bargain basement hires and struck out swinging on both of them. THAT is what set this program back...not the firing of Fulmer. I love Coach Fulmer and what he meant to Tennessee football for so many years, but if anything, the fact that he held on until the bitter end in '08 set the program back more than if he had retired in '07 or '05. Going through the doldrums of a transition was inevitable. Remember, many fans warned that UT might need a hire or two to get it right. It had happened to the SEC's biggest heavyweights over the preceding two decades. Sometimes a change results in temporary setback, even if it was the right thing to do. It was the right thing to do, but an incompetent athletics director was the biggest reason why we're still struggling to recover from that change.
Hammy screwed up the firing of Fulmer as well ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: