VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 05:16:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making the switch to Mac...  (Read 5118 times)
VOLveeta
« on: January 20, 2015, 03:52:03 EST »

I just ordered this machine... any of you Apple aficionado's got any suggestions about what surprises I might encounter?  Things I'll need that aren't included?

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display         

With the following configuration:
•    4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
•    32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
•    256GB Flash Storage
•    AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5
•    Apple Magic Mouse
•    Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
•    Accessory Kit

AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac - Auto-enroll         

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 04:03:55 EST »

Welcome to the best computer you've ever owned.  

That's the setup I use at work and it's a beastly machine that makes all my colleagues in this business (whose companies tend to shell out small money and leave them with computers that are 10 years behind times) drool when they see it.

I hesitate to say this because I know you've already considered it . . . but since I'm always surprised at people who don't consider it, you'll want a USB CD/DVD drive. I use the Apple SuperDrive. It gets poor reviews but it is cheap and has never let me down.

I also find Apple's trackpad useful. It's on standby on my desk and since I don't use it a lot, the batteries last for months without having to turn it off and on when needed.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 04:06:33 EST by Creek Walker » Logged
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 04:04:31 EST »

I just ordered this machine... any of you Apple aficionado's got any suggestions about what surprises I might encounter?  Things I'll need that aren't included?

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display         

With the following configuration:
•    4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
•    32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
•    256GB Flash Storage
•    AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5
•    Apple Magic Mouse
•    Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
•    Accessory Kit

AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac - Auto-enroll         

I don't even want to think about how much that hardware cost you in an iMac.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VOLveeta
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 04:08:04 EST »

Creekwalker, thanks.  I can't wait to get to work on that machine.  I did, BTW, get the cd drive.  I've been keeping a pc going for several years now that I had built.  I did a quicken query to see how much maintaining that machine has cost me these last seven years and the average annual cost has been around $225 (virus protection, repairs, etc.).  I am a Windows guy, I SO prefer the filing system and what I love about this machine is the option to run Parallel desktop with Windows 8.1.  I'm one of those weirdos who actually love Windows 8.1.  It's a great OS!

But the time I spend WAITING on this old machine, I spend more time waiting than working.  I'm SO excited about this new computer experience!!!  I'll run Photoshop in OSX, as well as most other photo programs... but some only work in windows and they are crucial to what I do. 

Clockwork... it wasn't cheap, that's for sure!
VOLveeta
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 04:20:20 EST »

I just realized, this machine will cost me $200 more than my first Dell cost me back in 1996: 233mhz processor, 2.3 gig hard drive!  hahahaha!
10EC
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 04:47:48 EST »

I just realized, this machine will cost me $200 more than my first Dell cost me back in 1996: 233mhz processor, 2.3 gig hard drive!  hahahaha!

It's the new way of doing things that will drive you crazy.

No CTRL+C to copy etc...

I HATE, HATE, HATE using my wife's mac because it takes me twice as long to do the same thing. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 04:57:45 EST »

I remember pricing computers for my dad once. I believe the going technology was a 486DX2 33 MHz processor with 256 Kb cache memory. Probably had 32 Mb RAM and a 200 Mb hard drive. I believe it ran MS-DOS 5.0.

$2500 or so, IIRC.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 06:51:50 EST »

If you only have 256K flash memory, you will need external storage, either USB or WiFi. The Apple Airport Time capsule will allow you to backup automatically and will work with any WiFi connected device. If you use iTunes for much of anything, you will fill up your flash memory quick. You will likely need a USB hard drive if you store any photos or videos.

I build all my computers from components and run the latest Windows versions (now 8.1). I do not have any of the problems you hear about because I make sure the hardware and software are compatible. None of my machines is slow. If you do high-end graphics in Windows 64, the only thing that will slow you down is the graphics card memory and system memory. That is a killer graphics card you got. Frankly I think the Macs are overrated for performance unless you are working on photos or videos. Then they dumb down the flexibility to insure everything works. Since most software only runs in Windows, you have to buy software to run Windows on Mac. If that does not bother you, you got a sweet machine that like all computers will be obsolete and out-of-date in 12 months if you listen to advertising. Unless you get hit with a power surge, I do not believe you can kill a Mac. Those motherboards are rugged.

As for viruses, hackers are now writing viruses to invade Macs also. That old story there are no viruses so you do not need anti-virus software may not be true.
dansavol1
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 07:45:04 EST »

agree with the external drive.  just had to replace my old time machine.  got a new time machine with 1TB storage and my wifi is faster than ever before.  you will love your mac,
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 07:51:05 EST »

I price out that configuration at a cool $3847 before tax or any extra installed software or peripherals.  I thought droner was the only one around here who could throw that kind of cheddar around.

I'm looking at getting a new iMac myself, but the 5K display is a luxury I can't afford.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 07:53:06 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 08:16:19 EST »

I price out that configuration at a cool $3847 before tax or any extra installed software or peripherals.  I thought droner was the only one around here who could throw that kind of cheddar around.

I'm looking at getting a new iMac myself, but the 5K display is a luxury I can't afford.

I can afford it, just not gonna.   

My most recent IT purchase is a $129 Acer tablet from Sams. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Live Orange
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 09:46:56 EST »

Congrats VOLvetta! I echo Creek's thoughts... the best machine you've ever owned. Once upon a time I swore I'd never own a Mac. Three years ago I made the switch and now I swear I'll never go back!

Pretty much everything you did on a PC you can do on a Mac. Copy/Paste on a Mac is Command C/Command V and you'll have to make some other adjustments but I swear give it two months and you'll never look back.

The only other hardware that I would consider right now is a SuperDrive if you have anything that would need to be installed from a disc, play DVDs, CDs etc. Also, consider an external hard drive or better yet a Time Capsule so Time Machine can keep all your stuff backed up.

Feel free to hit me up if you need anything. Oh and by the way, I believe you have a free year of One-to-One, which are free workshops for new Mac owners.

Enjoy! 
VOLveeta
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 01:14:28 EST »

Congrats VOLvetta! I echo Creek's thoughts... the best machine you've ever owned. Once upon a time I swore I'd never own a Mac. Three years ago I made the switch and now I swear I'll never go back!

Pretty much everything you did on a PC you can do on a Mac. Copy/Paste on a Mac is Command C/Command V and you'll have to make some other adjustments but I swear give it two months and you'll never look back.

The only other hardware that I would consider right now is a SuperDrive if you have anything that would need to be installed from a disc, play DVDs, CDs etc. Also, consider an external hard drive or better yet a Time Capsule so Time Machine can keep all your stuff backed up.

Feel free to hit me up if you need anything. Oh and by the way, I believe you have a free year of One-to-One, which are free workshops for new Mac owners.

Enjoy!  

Thanks buddy, I'm excited as heck.  Got shipment notification this morning.  I just didn't need to be told it's shipping directly from Shanghai.  :-(  Can't we make ANYTHING?!?!?!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: