VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 11:01:00 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Southern Miss bball saga continues  (Read 4497 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2015, 01:29:00 EST »

@GoodmanESPN: Southern Miss has now released a statement officially announcing that the school is self-imposing postseason ban for this year.

@ESPNAndyKatz: Southern Miss self-imposed post-season ban also includes no Conference USA tournament for Eagles.
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 01:38:00 EST »

Ouch. Not a good sign. Not at all.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 07:24:24 EST »

As long as we get treated the same way the ex-coach at Miami got treated, we should be fine.

Not holding my breath though....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 07:31:57 EST »

I'm not sure it's necessarily a bad sign. This tells you that USM is taking responsibility. This could mean their compliance office is at fault and that would take some heat off of Donnie.

I think it's still sort of a mystery how this ends up. Hopefully we hear something soon though.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 08:44:48 EST »

According to what I read, the So. Miss compliance department approved of some or all of what is alleged.
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 09:39:35 EST »

I'm not sure it's necessarily a bad sign. This tells you that USM is taking responsibility. This could mean their compliance office is at fault and that would take some heat off of Donnie.

I think it's still sort of a mystery how this ends up. Hopefully we hear something soon though.

That could be. I take it as a bad sign because it proves there's fire behind the smoke. Schools don't just levy relatively harsh self-sanctions like that without knowing they're in the wrong. I've seen the rumors posted on TOS that suggest Tyndall may not have had knowledge. I've also heard suggestions from a couple of folks in the know that the compliance department at USM is prepared to fall on its sword and spare Tyndall...that seems pretty unlikely to me. Schools are usually eager to shed as much blame as possible in order to lessen the NCAA's blow to them. If that scenario were to play out, USM would catch it squarely on the chin from the NCAA. I tend to think that if Tyndall is absolved, it's because he's truly innocent.

And hopefully that's the case. I love the coaching job he's doing here but I just can't justify UT keeping him if he's implicitly involved in the USM mess. A one-time screw-up, a la Bruce Pearl, is one thing, but if he ran afoul of the NCAA at BOTH of his former schools, that probably means he's going to eventually do it here, too. Then we'd have to fire him and we would wind up on probation and facing other sanctions. If he's guilty, better to just go ahead and cut ties now. But hopefully that won't have to happen.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 09:44:48 EST »

That could be. I take it as a bad sign because it proves there's fire behind the smoke. Schools don't just levy relatively harsh self-sanctions like that without knowing they're in the wrong. I've seen the rumors posted on TOS that suggest Tyndall may not have had knowledge. I've also heard suggestions from a couple of folks in the know that the compliance department at USM is prepared to fall on its sword and spare Tyndall...that seems pretty unlikely to me. Schools are usually eager to shed as much blame as possible in order to lessen the NCAA's blow to them. If that scenario were to play out, USM would catch it squarely on the chin from the NCAA. I tend to think that if Tyndall is absolved, it's because he's truly innocent.

And hopefully that's the case. I love the coaching job he's doing here but I just can't justify UT keeping him if he's implicitly involved in the USM mess. A one-time screw-up, a la Bruce Pearl, is one thing, but if he ran afoul of the NCAA at BOTH of his former schools, that probably means he's going to eventually do it here, too. Then we'd have to fire him and we would wind up on probation and facing other sanctions. If he's guilty, better to just go ahead and cut ties now. But hopefully that won't have to happen.

These sanctions aren't harsh though. USM has little chance of making any postseason tourney this year. They're currently #302 in the RPI.

Anything short of a show cause and we keep Tyndall, IMO. The damage from cutting him loose would be far worse than the damage of a suspension, recruiting restrictions, etc.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 09:52:57 EST »

These sanctions aren't harsh though. USM has little chance of making any postseason tourney this year. They're currently #302 in the RPI.

Anything short of a show cause and we keep Tyndall, IMO. The damage from cutting him loose would be far worse than the damage of a suspension, recruiting restrictions, etc.

I agree with that, at face value. We can easily survive a suspension or even recruiting restrictions, and obviously it's extremely unlikely that he's show-caused. I'm thinking more in terms of long-term potential damage. And maybe it's not fair to judge a guy on potential damage, but you only get so many chances to screw up in my book.

Frankly, I'm sick of the cesspool that college athletics is becoming, and the only way to clean it up is to start culling the contributors. Obviously Tyndall is a little tiny fish in a great big pond filled with a lot of big fish even if he's implicitly involved in the USM deal...but still.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 10:17:02 EST »

All of this and Calipari hasn't done anything wrong at UK. Not even a whimper. He is either good at what he does or he is teflon. I think he is a really good cheater.

volsboyinsodak
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 10:31:45 EST »

All of this and Calipari hasn't done anything wrong at UK. Not even a whimper. He is either good at what he does or he is teflon. I think he is a really good cheater.

He was a really good cheater for most of his career. Then he went to Kentucky, had already established himself as the one-and-done coach, and I simply don't think he has to cheat anymore. These guys flock to him and I can't blame them.

Giving credit where it's due, I think it's amazing that he's able to get a bunch of ego-driven freshman superstars to play tough defense, yet he manages this every year. He's a great coach in that respect. It can't be easy to get those guys to buy in.

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 02:04:48 EST »

Cal sells one thing and one thing only--'I'll get you to the league."  With the guys he recruits and the fact that he has indeed gotten the majority of his recruits to the league, he doesn't need to sell anything else.  That said, he is still a slimy, underhanded, egocentric, lying POS, but the kids that he recruits view that as a positive.

He was a really good cheater for most of his career. Then he went to Kentucky, had already established himself as the one-and-done coach, and I simply don't think he has to cheat anymore. These guys flock to him and I can't blame them.

Giving credit where it's due, I think it's amazing that he's able to get a bunch of ego-driven freshman superstars to play tough defense, yet he manages this every year. He's a great coach in that respect. It can't be easy to get those guys to buy in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: