VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 04:49:25 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody here like Van Halen. I see they are releasing a double live album with  (Read 3019 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2015, 07:49:24 EDT »

David Lee Roth as the frontman. It's about time. First concert I went to was Van Halen at Freedom Hall in Johnson City around '81. Still one of the best shows I have attended. The new album was recorded at the Tokyo Dome. I have been there when I was stationed in Japan. Saw Def Leppard there. Just excited for the live album with DLR. He is not a good singer, but he is a great frontman. He even said so himself.

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 02:27:46 EDT »

When I was a kid, VH was the biggest band in the world.  They were just a cut above the Motley Crues, Cinderellas, and all the other hair bands of the day.  Heck, even the first couple records with Sammy Hagar were pretty good.  

But for whatever reason, history has not been kind to them.  You don't hear them on classic rock stations as much as a lot of their contemporaries.  Even Eddie, who in his prime was regarded in some quarters as the greatest guitarist ever, is almost an afterthought today.  

Compare them to a band like Journey.  They got plenty of airplay in their day, but nobody I knew actually bought Journey records.  Nobody loved them, but nobody hated them either.  They were just sort of...there.  But now, 30 years later, you'd think they were the biggest act of the 80s based on all the play they get on TV and terrestrial radio.  
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:35:25 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:25:42 EDT »

When I was a kid, VH was the biggest band in the world.  They were just a cut above the Motley Crues, Cinderellas, and all the other hair bands of the day.  Heck, even the first couple records with Sammy Hagar were pretty good.  

But for whatever reason, history has not been kind to them.  You don't hear them on classic rock stations as much as a lot of their contemporaries.  Even Eddie, who in his prime was regarded in some quarters as the greatest guitarist ever, is almost an afterthought today.  

Compare them to a band like Journey.  They got plenty of airplay in their day, but nobody I knew actually bought Journey records.  Nobody loved them, but nobody hated them either.  They were just sort of...there.  But now, 30 years later, you'd think they were the biggest act of the 80s based on all the play they get on TV and terrestrial radio.  

That's a very keen observation.  I was pretty much the same way - not really into Journey BITD, but love to listen to them now.  I think Journey stole away with the "sound of the late 70s/early 80s" and nobody really noticed it until very recently.  I'd have to say this video from 2001 turned me on to Journey....

https://youtu.be/mGYevPjfxrM

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 06:34:43 EDT »

The new singer does a good job, but he is no Steve Perry. Just like Foreigner, the new singer is no Lou Gramm.

volsboyinsodak
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 09:40:49 EDT »

Last pictures I saw of David Lee Roth, time had not been his friend. DLR is not the pretty boy now under anybody's definition. Like most of us in their 60s, we are not the same size as 30 years ago. He has not aged well, but who really has without surgery.
RON
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 11:50:57 EDT »

Van Halen is my favorite band ever.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 04:22:43 EDT »

Dave is kind of a dork, and pens far more vacuous lyrics than Hagar, but he's a fine showman.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: