VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 04:45:54 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our search should extend about 100 miles  (Read 6458 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2015, 04:24:28 EDT »

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 04:37:25 EDT »

I like Volveeta as much as the next poster, but is he qualified?

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 04:40:45 EDT »

A Will Wade fan, I take it? I wouldn't complain with that hire.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 04:45:50 EDT »

Herb will stage a sit-in if that happens. I like the guy, but would rather go with a more proven guy.

I'd ask Brad Stevens if he likes the NBA. He probably does, but you gotta ask.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 07:03:16 EDT »

I like Volveeta as much as the next poster, but is he qualified?
He could act like he is ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 08:43:37 EDT »

FWIW, Wade just turned down Charlotte, after a pretty serious weeklong flirtation.  Perhaps he got an inkling of what was about to go down in Knoxville?

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 09:26:26 EDT »

FWIW, Wade just turned down Charlotte, after a pretty serious weeklong flirtation.  Perhaps he got an inkling of what was about to go down in Knoxville?

I've heard that from a couple of talking heads today.  And because UT will try to go cheap again, I fully expect Wade to be the next basketball coach at UT.  And that's not saying that I don't like Wade - he has a lot of potential, but at this point it is still just potential.

Ironically, former Pearl assistant Houston Fancher is likely going to join Mark Price's staff at Charlotte. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 09:37:50 EDT »

I've heard that from a couple of talking heads today.  And because UT will try to go cheap again, I fully expect Wade to be the next basketball coach at UT.  And that's not saying that I don't like Wade - he has a lot of potential, but at this point it is still just potential.

Ironically, former Pearl assistant Houston Fancher is likely going to join Mark Price's staff at Charlotte. 

I'd love to get someone more established, but I doubt that's even a possibility at this point.  What established coach is gong to want this job?

UTC choked hard in the SoCon tourney- otherwise, I doubt Wade would even be available right now.  And it may be harder to pull him away than we think.  He returns literally everyone from a 23 win team.  If they make the NCAAT and maybe even win a game or two next year, he's going to be in the running for much better jobs than UT.  I say get Wade if we can.  We're already pretty much at rock bottom, so it's not like we have much to lose.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 09:40:54 EDT »

Fancher to Charlotte is official now:

http://www.newportplaintalk.com/sports/article_d9a191ee-d426-11e4-af20-df65e31bd76f.html

Go Army - Beat Navy!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 09:42:45 EDT »

I'd love to get someone more established, but I doubt that's even a possibility at this point.  What established coach is gong to want this job?

UTC choked hard in the SoCon tourney- otherwise, I doubt Wade would even be available right now.  And it may be harder to pull him away than we think.  He returns literally everyone from a 23 win team.  If they make the NCAAT and maybe even win a game or two next year, he's going to be in the running for much better jobs than UT.  I say get Wade if we can.  We're already pretty much at rock bottom, so it's not like we have much to lose.

I don't think it would be any trouble at all getting him away from UTC.  He's likely making, what, $600K total package at UTC?  UT was paying Tyndal something like $1.3 million with a 5 year contract.  If Wade got those numbers at UT, and I don't see it being any less than that, it would be a no brainer for Wade at this point in his career.

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 10:29:40 EDT »

Just asking.....But what coach worth his salt would come to a dumpster fire of a program like UT is right now...from the top on down?

Some folks said when we fired Fulmer we sold our athletic soul to the Devil.....Damn if I'm not starting to believe it. Go back to 2008 until today, March 27th 2015 and just noodle that in your head what has happened in our athletic program(s). A total cluster-fook of epic proportions.

If Stephen King today decided to write a horror book on a snake bit athletic program he'd use UT as his script.
Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 10:43:25 EDT »

Wade's base salary at UTC is roughly $170k. If he's offered the UT job, I think he takes it. And unless there's a chance we reel in a bigger (unexpected) fish, I think we should offer. Wade needed just two seasons to turn Chattanooga around. Everyone in America thinks Shaka Smart is one of the sexiest names in the coaching business, and Wade was Shaka's right hand man.

I would like to see UT hire Michael White, but that isn't happening. Heck, I'd love to see us hire Bo Ryan if we're wishing. Once you wade through all the unlikelies and get to the guys who would probably take the job, Wade would be near the top of my list.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 11:17:36 EDT »

How about Peyton Manning?   
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 11:39:31 EDT »

Well, that's the only name I recognize in this thread, so....   
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 11:44:33 EDT »

He's busy making $15 million playing football this year.  Don't think he's a possibility.   

Perhaps you need another glass of wine to get your mind straight.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 11:45:35 EDT »

Oh, and scratch off Jon Gruden, too, even though he does own property in Jefferson or Sevier Counties - one or the other. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 06:00:36 EDT »

Oh, I think we could probably get him if we threw a million or two his way, but I don't think it would necessarily be a slam dunk.  There's more to think about than just money.  As I said, his UTC team is going to be a heavy favorite to win the Southern Conference and make the NCAAT next season.  If he fulfills those expectations, he's going to be in the running for a lot of bigger jobs a year from now- many of them probably better jobs than UT.  So does he jump at the UT opportunity now, or wait a year, and hope he does well enough for a better offer?

Coaches generally don't get a second chance to fail at a power 5 job.  And let's face it- our job has some serious challenges right now.  If Wade gets a UT offer, he's going to have a lot to think about.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 11:11:30 EDT »

How bout the guy from Dalton St?!?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: