VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 01:57:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So is there a Costco for basketball coaches?  (Read 8048 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2015, 02:30:58 EDT »

You know, some place where you can buy them in bulk?  Because we're going to need two.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 03:02:53 EDT »

I guess I don't get calling for Holly's job.  Did fans really expect Holly to just duplicate Pat's greatness?  Unrealistic, imo.
Epic comeback, btw.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 03:23:41 EDT »

And they may pull this out...they lost their best player and still making it to elite 8?  Think its way too early to say Holly needs to be replaced!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 03:26:31 EDT »

Well, I'm happy to see that my reverse hoops mojo works both ways.

I stand by my opinion on Holly, though.  If she can beat Maryland on Monday night, maybe I'll rethink things.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:28:39 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 03:29:09 EDT »

Well, I'm happy to see that my reverse hoops mojo works both ways.

You got enough left for this UK game? 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 03:32:06 EDT »

You got enough left for this UK game? 

Only one way to find out....

ND sucks.  This is a fluke.  They're not man enough.  UK is just toying with them.  Rudy was a little girl.

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 03:40:34 EDT »

I stand by my opinion on Holly, though.  If she can beat Maryland on Monday night, maybe I'll rethink things.

We'll never have a coach who comes close to Pat, and unless she does much worse, probably not one who will do better than Holly has so far.  Fans are down on her this season and the team has a 30-5 record, a share of the regular season SEC championship, and an Elite 8 appearance (after losing their best player to injury).  Talk about being spoiled.  
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 03:52:02 EDT »

We'll never have a coach who comes close to Pat, and unless she does much worse, probably not one who will do better than Holly has so far.  Fans are down on her this season and the team has a 30-5 record, a share of the regular season SEC championship, and an Elite 8 appearance (after losing their best player to injury).  Talk about being spoiled.  

No one expects her to duplicate Pat's career.  But this is year three (actually year four, because Pat wasn't doing any coaching in her last official season), and there doesn't seem to be any upward trajectory.  And as was pointed out last week, Holly's recruiting has dropped off a cliff the past two classes, so that will probably begin to show itself starting next year.  It's probably just going to get worse. 

I hate to play the gender card, but it sure seems to apply here.  If this were a mens' sport, do you think this fanbase would be as forgiving?  I mean, Cuonzo Martin underachieved for 2 1/2 seasons, and most of us were ready to run him out of town before they went on a run at the end of last year.  Why are we holding Holly to a different standard?

For a program like ours, I don't think a Final Four every three years and a NC every decade is asking too much.  I don't think Holly can do that.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 04:29:29 EDT »

With UT being the Gold Standard in women's BB we should be in the mix 8 out of 10 years. This team isn't that well coached, especially on offense. We were making the same mistakes tonight we were making in December

Great win and great comeback and the kids willed this win.....but folks, we were playing Gonzaga, a 11 seed and we have a team full of McDonald All-Americans.
tngamecock
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 04:37:17 EDT »

You know, some place where you can buy them in bulk?  Because we're going to need two.

I've seen it all now.  Your team is in the Elite 8 and you're calling for a coach to be fired.   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 05:12:51 EDT »

I've seen it all now.  Your team is in the Elite 8 and you're calling for a coach to be fired.   

It's called expectations.  We're going on 7 years without even making a Final Four.  What's SC's strongest program- baseball?  Let's see them miss out on going to Omaha 7 years in a row and then see if Holbrook isn't feeling some heat. 

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 03:37:41 EDT »

No one expects her to duplicate Pat's career.  But this is year three (actually year four, because Pat wasn't doing any coaching in her last official season), and there doesn't seem to be any upward trajectory.  And as was pointed out last week, Holly's recruiting has dropped off a cliff the past two classes, so that will probably begin to show itself starting next year.  It's probably just going to get worse. 

I hate to play the gender card, but it sure seems to apply here.  If this were a mens' sport, do you think this fanbase would be as forgiving?  I mean, Cuonzo Martin underachieved for 2 1/2 seasons, and most of us were ready to run him out of town before they went on a run at the end of last year.  Why are we holding Holly to a different standard?

For a program like ours, I don't think a Final Four every three years and a NC every decade is asking too much.  I don't think Holly can do that.

Ok, year 4:

3 Elite 8s
1 Sweet 16
1 SEC Tournament Championship
2 SEC Conference Regular Season Campionships

Pat's 3 seasons prior:1 NCAA First Round

1 Elite 8
1Sweet 16
2 SEC Conference Conference Regular Season and Tournament Championships

They may make the Final 4 this season.  I guess giving her a decade is out of the question. 

As for the sex card played, I see my expectations as the same as for Butch; play hard, never give up, and play for championships.  If that doesn't happen, then perhaps a change is needed.  But, I don't see anyone coming in and doing better.  This isn't THE program in women's college basketball any longer, and I doubt it ever will be again.  I hope I'm wrong.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 05:53:46 EDT »

Ok, year 4:

3 Elite 8s
1 Sweet 16
1 SEC Tournament Championship
2 SEC Conference Regular Season Campionships

Pat's 3 seasons prior:1 NCAA First Round

1 Elite 8
1Sweet 16
2 SEC Conference Conference Regular Season and Tournament Championships

They may make the Final 4 this season.  I guess giving her a decade is out of the question. 

As for the sex card played, I see my expectations as the same as for Butch; play hard, never give up, and play for championships.  If that doesn't happen, then perhaps a change is needed.  But, I don't see anyone coming in and doing better.  This isn't THE program in women's college basketball any longer, and I doubt it ever will be again.  I hope I'm wrong.

Well, we had a thread nearly identical to this one last year and I still stand by my posts from then, so I won't repeat them here.  If you care to read it, here you go:

http://volstothewall.com/board/index.php?topic=30325.0

I will say this:  Another E8 is wonderful, but we've beaten a 15 seed, 10 seed, and 11 seed to get here, and haven't looked very good against any of them.  Maryland is typical of the opponent that has been bouncing us out of the tourney lately.  They're typical of the opponent that we haven't even been competitive against in a long, long time.  Holly can show me something by beating them tommorrow.

Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 08:47:15 EDT »

In response to Gamecock's post, let's point out that BDV's original post was made while the Lady Vols were down big to Gonzaga. And I'll admit that when someone told me the score (I was at my son's basketball tournament and wasn't keeping up) when it was a 16-point lead for the Zags late in the game, my very reply was, "Holly always seems to blow one every season just like that." If I were calling the shots, I certainly wouldn't fire her at this point...for some of the very same reasons you all have already posted. But as I've said in the past, I just can't shake my feeling that she ain't got it. I suspect that at the end of the day, BDV is right.
Be-the-Vol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 09:12:58 EDT »

I think she's doing fine given that there is no more mystique about the program, and highly sought after recruits are going elsewhere (which started under Pat).  Even more than kentucky in the men's game, there's one team in the women's game and then the rest of those fighting to be second best (and being a great deal behind).  However, when she losses to a 12 seed in the first round, I might reconsider.    
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:26:38 EDT by Be-the-Vol » Logged
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 11:22:47 EDT »

But as I've said in the past, I just can't shake my feeling that she ain't got it. I suspect that at the end of the day, BDV is right.

She very well may not have it.  I just don't see any coach coming in and doing much better.  I'll be pleasantly surprised to see the Lady Vols ever win another basketball championship.  The rest of the collegiate women's basketball world caught up years ago, and I don't see another game changer like Pat miraculously appearing.  I don't follow recruiting in any sport, so I will concede to popular sentiment on that.  But, like I said when Fulmer was fired (and I didn't disagree with that decision), be careful what you ask for.  We're all decrying no stability, but we practically beg for instability at times.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 11:56:37 EDT »

To win another championship we will have to have that dominant player like we use to have in championship years. A player who can take over games. Notre Dame, UConn, Baylor have had those players every year the last several years. We haven't had one since Candice Parker....not even close.
tngamecock
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 03:01:31 EDT »

It's called expectations.  We're going on 7 years without even making a Final Four.  What's SC's strongest program- baseball?  Let's see them miss out on going to Omaha 7 years in a row and then see if Holbrook isn't feeling some heat. 

I get the expectations part.  And your analogy with the SC baseball team is correct as well.  My point is simple.................Holly is not a 7 year problem as Pat was there until a few years ago.  Warlick has you with a chance at the final four so I dare say everyone at UT should be happy with that.  If Holbrook gets us to the final four in baseball, then I'll consider him a success.  JMO
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 07:22:17 EDT »

UConn will beat them by 20 at least. Until she recruits better talent she will not win any titles. We expect titles. No reason not to get the top talent every year.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 07:29:29 EDT »

With UT being the Gold Standard in women's BB we should be in the mix 8 out of 10 years. This team isn't that well coached, especially on offense. We were making the same mistakes tonight we were making in December

Great win and great comeback and the kids willed this win.....but folks, we were playing Gonzaga, a 11 seed and we have a team full of McDonald All-Americans.
As much as I hate the program, UConn is now the gold standard, by far. Geno gets more talent. Plain and simple.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 09:20:14 EDT »

As much as I hate the program, UConn is now the gold standard, by far. Geno gets more talent. Plain and simple.

Yes, they are now. I was referring to what Women's BB is today is because in large part of UT and PHS.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 10:38:09 EDT »

No reason not to get the top talent every year.

I disagree.  There are now a lot of schools for top talent to consider, and THE school to go to is now up in CT.  A Tennessee coach may be able to land good talent, but I doubt we'll ever again see the days of top recruits fighting for a place at UT.  As I said before, I hope I'm wrong.  Time will tell.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: