VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 03:20:05 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So apparently Barnes is happening.  (Read 4289 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2015, 12:36:05 EDT »

If he could just go ahead and recruit us another Kevin Durant, Lamarcus Aldridge, and DJ Augustine, that'd be great.

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 02:25:16 EDT »

So this just cracked me up: Dave Hart told us at the press conference on Friday that he was employing a search firm for one reason — because it could help UT keep the candidates it's looking at secret from the media and provide the confidentiality that the university cannot maintain on its own. I don't know how much those search firms cost, but they're not cheap.

Seventy-two hours later (and less than 24 hours after hiring said search firm), UT sends Hart & Co. to Austin on a booster's plane that is easily trackable and recognizable. 
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 02:29:56 EDT »

The apparent speed in which this seems to be happening tells me that somebody other than Hart is driving this train. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 02:38:16 EDT »

So this just cracked me up: Dave Hart told us at the press conference on Friday that he was employing a search firm for one reason — because it could help UT keep the candidates it's looking at secret from the media and provide the confidentiality that the university cannot maintain on its own. I don't know how much those search firms cost, but they're not cheap.

Seventy-two hours later (and less than 24 hours after hiring said search firm), UT sends Hart & Co. to Austin on a booster's plane that is easily trackable and recognizable. 

Well, in Hart's defense, I don't think he expected Barnes to fall in his lap when he said that.

Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 03:56:57 EDT »

Well, in Hart's defense, I don't think he expected Barnes to fall in his lap when he said that.

Perhaps not, but he DID hire the search firm AFTER Barnes became available. Also, there's some media speculation now that Barnes and UT had conversations before either Barnes or Tyndall were fired. Don't forget Barnes little smirk at his farewell press conference when he was asked if he would coach again and answered "sooner than you think."
JBuck
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 01:43:03 EDT »

My friend, Russ Springmann, is the assistant who recruited KD to Texas.  We need to hope Coach Barnes brings him to K-town.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 05:05:46 EDT »

Perhaps not, but he DID hire the search firm AFTER Barnes became available. Also, there's some media speculation now that Barnes and UT had conversations before either Barnes or Tyndall were fired. Don't forget Barnes little smirk at his farewell press conference when he was asked if he would coach again and answered "sooner than you think."

Is it possible Donnie was fired partly b/c Barnes was becoming available?  I know he had all the NCAA baggage, but just wondering.

Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 05:09:44 EDT »

Is it possible Donnie was fired partly b/c Barnes was becoming available?  I know he had all the NCAA baggage, but just wondering.

I don't know if I would go that far. But I do think it's safe to say that Hart pressed the NCAA to deliver its verdict on Tyndall to Tennessee, the NCAA did that, and Tennessee was able to move forward. Hart deserves a lot more credit for the way he orchestrated all of this than he'll get.

I'm probably one of the most skeptical UT fans there are re: Barnes (except the nutwing segment of the fan base who is only skeptical of Barnes because he isn't Bruce Pearl), but from where I'm sitting, Hart came out of all of this smelling like roses.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 07:18:14 EDT »

I don't know if I would go that far. But I do think it's safe to say that Hart pressed the NCAA to deliver its verdict on Tyndall to Tennessee, the NCAA did that, and Tennessee was able to move forward. Hart deserves a lot more credit for the way he orchestrated all of this than he'll get.

I'm probably one of the most skeptical UT fans there are re: Barnes (except the nutwing segment of the fan base who is only skeptical of Barnes because he isn't Bruce Pearl), but from where I'm sitting, Hart came out of all of this smelling like roses.

I thought Donnie was a helluva coach, I would luv to have Bruce back as our coach, but I am happy to have Barnes as our coach, considering all we have been through.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 12:48:52 EDT »

Is this the best hire for UT?  Debateable.  But it's certainly the best hire for Hart.  He was looking at group of low floor/high ceiling guys vs. Barnes, a high floor/low(er) ceiling guy.  Given that he admittedly flubbed the last hire, he couldn't assume any risk this time.  And while there are no sure things in sports, Barnes is about as close as it gets.  If UT determines success as making the tourney most years and winning a game or two, then Barnes will most certainly be successful.  Will he win championships here?  Probably not.  But there's no guarntee that the Wades or Underwoods would have, either.  And any of those guys may also have failed spectacularly, and I don't see that as a possibility with Barnes.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 07:10:02 EDT »

agree

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: