VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 03:41:18 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Until Holly can recruit better players, she will not win a title. Her X's and  (Read 3403 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2015, 04:59:13 EDT »

O's leave something to be desired too. So do we keep her and be happy with elite 8's every year or do we want to be in the title hunt and find someone new? No guts no glory. Geno has taken over the sport. He took over while Pat was still coaching. She couldn't compete with him her last few years. When and why did UConn take over as the golden program. Anybody got any opinions or was it just something nice to have going for us in the football offseason. Plus that haircut Holly has is just blatant. Yes I said it.  However, it has zero significance to her coaching ability. We crucified Griner for the same thing. WOW! This could be a controversial post.

volsboyinsodak
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 05:50:15 EDT »

So who would you suggest we get?

I posted on another board a long topic about this, but I am curious to hear your reactions.

To me, Holly gets to much blame for only being in her 3rd year as coach and following a once in a lifetime coach like Summit.  It took Summit several years to break through to win her first national championship, now you expect Holly to do it in 3 years when the sport is much more even leveled and has many more programs that are good?  I just don't get that.  In her 3 years as coach, Holly has won the SEC regular season or tournament championship each season.  She was a #1 seed once and a #2 seed twice.  She has gone to the elite 8 twice  all the while not having a full bench of players because of injuries.  I just don't get why people  want her gone after her first three years and what she has accomplished in those 3 years.  It isn't like summit was getting us to the final four each year either.  Next year, she will have 6'5 Russell back, Jones back, DeSheilds will be able to play, along with cooper who is a great PG. 

So again, I will ask, who do you want as a coach?
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 06:29:30 EDT »

So who would you suggest we get?

I posted on another board a long topic about this, but I am curious to hear your reactions.

To me, Holly gets to much blame for only being in her 3rd year as coach and following a once in a lifetime coach like Summit.  It took Summit several years to break through to win her first national championship, now you expect Holly to do it in 3 years when the sport is much more even leveled and has many more programs that are good?  I just don't get that.  In her 3 years as coach, Holly has won the SEC regular season or tournament championship each season.  She was a #1 seed once and a #2 seed twice.  She has gone to the elite 8 twice  all the while not having a full bench of players because of injuries.  I just don't get why people  want her gone after her first three years and what she has accomplished in those 3 years.  It isn't like summit was getting us to the final four each year either.  Next year, she will have 6'5 Russell back, Jones back, DeSheilds will be able to play, along with cooper who is a great PG. 

So again, I will ask, who do you want as a coach?
Summit created the program as it is now. In her final seasons, Geno was out recruiting and out coaching her. So this is nothing new. This program is not on the level of UConn's, like it or not. As for who should be the next coach, I haven't a clue. The biggest problem with most folks, me included, is that it is just womens basketball. Who cares? But we are going as far as we are ever going to go with the current staff. We aren't even the best team in the SEC anymore. Until Geno retires this is what we have. You figure it out.

volsboyinsodak
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 08:04:55 EDT »

UConn is a success because they win and Geno recruits the best players. Pat stopped winning because her assistant coaches were mediocre and recruiting fell off. Pat still recruited players to match her style and the game passed her by. She also signed a lot of players that blew out knees in high school and never were as good.

I think Holly needs an upgrade in her assistants and a recruiting coordinator that can actually identify players with skill. Right now there is no one on staff that can convince premier players to come to Tennessee. And for heaven's sake, sign players that can dribble and pass and can shoot 12 feet and out without throwing up bricks.

Since 2009, these teams have choked under pressure in NCAA tourney. The proof is in the results and not in living in the past glories.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:24:36 EDT »

Summit created the program as it is now. In her final seasons, Geno was out recruiting and out coaching her. So this is nothing new. This program is not on the level of UConn's, like it or not. As for who should be the next coach, I haven't a clue. The biggest problem with most folks, me included, is that it is just womens basketball. Who cares? But we are going as far as we are ever going to go with the current staff. We aren't even the best team in the SEC anymore. Until Geno retires this is what we have. You figure it out.

LOL, typical response from you.  you always want to start a conversation but when someone's asks you a question, you dodge it.  You asked a question, I answered and asked you one, and you dodged it and said for me to figure it out.  Geez.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 11:30:48 EDT »

LOL, typical response from you.  you always want to start a conversation but when someone's asks you a question, you dodge it.  You asked a question, I answered and asked you one, and you dodged it and said for me to figure it out.  Geez.
Like I noted in the other thread, he is 0-0 answering questions ...
It's idea of answering questions is to insult the questioner for not being a one track negative ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 11:45:51 EDT »

Holly needs some coaches to coach offense.....like Pat she knows nothing much about offense in todays game. If you are weak in a certain area as a head coach you need to fix it. This goes back to the last 2-3 years when CPS was coaching too. Defense is fine...but if you hold Maryland 20 points below their average and still get beat 10, defense doesn't matter much.

Comparing Pats first few years to Holly is moot IMO.....back then women's BB was coached in large part by gym teachers playing in front of 200 fans. Schools spent little money on women's bb. Today it's a major sport and schools spend a lot of money....Apples and Oranges to Pat's first several years. Holly has some issues on her staff and she needs to fix it. If you sit down and look at it....year and year out there are only about 10-12 schools that really have a chance to make the Final Four.....Now way, no how should UT go 7 years and not get to the Final 4 with the resources they are given. JMHO.

If Holly fails...it will her being to loyal to her asst.'s and recruiting for todays game.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 12:17:24 EDT »

LOL, typical response from you.  you always want to start a conversation but when someone's asks you a question, you dodge it.  You asked a question, I answered and asked you one, and you dodged it and said for me to figure it out.  Geez.
I have no clue who to get as a coach. It doesn't matter. It starts with recruiting. If they can recruit the best players, Holly would probably be as good as any. If they get a good recruiter they would be okay with her. I guess I don't notice how I deflect your questions when I post. That would be aggravating to me as well. Sorry about that. I will try to correct that crap.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:31:48 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: