VTTW Board Index
April 23, 2024, 06:15:15 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barnes is the new UT coach. Why did he get fired again? Underacheiving? Yes  (Read 18819 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2015, 06:53:47 EDT »

we need more underachieving coaches. Well, at least he's at the real UT. This school really pisses a person off sometimes. What is he supposed to do here that he didn't do at Texas. Dumbassed school admin we have.

volsboyinsodak
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 07:03:31 EDT »

volsboy, I'd like to issue you a challenge: name 5 things that you like about UT.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 07:04:09 EDT »

I'm not overly enamored with the hire myself, but I think if we step back and look in the mirror, we'll realize that posts like these are why everyone outside Tennessee laughs at us for being unrealistic. I mean, the guy HAS won 600+ games, he HAS been to 22 NCAA Tournaments (we've only been to 20 as a program in the entire history of the school), and he was the Big 12 Coach of the Year just last year. Every national basketball pundit is wowed by this hire. I don't want to put too much stock into their opinions, but it's clear that almost everyone considers this a win except the actual fans...which is really weird.

I would've preferred Will Wade myself, but I'll also admit that while I fully expect Wade to be winning championships at a Power 5 school someday in the not too distant future, there's also a pretty significant risk with Wade. The ceiling may not be as high with Barnes as it is with some of the younger guys, but the risk is significantly less and, let's face it, we can't afford to swing and miss on a coach right now. Barnes' track record suggests it's a given he'll be able to recruit guys here and get us to the NCAAT. Then, in a few years, when he's ready to retire, hopefully the program will be in a position where we can go out and steal coaches other schools want instead of just making futile wish lists of coaches that are out of our league. It's a safe hire, and that's hard to argue with.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 07:14:19 EDT »

volsboy, I'd like to issue you a challenge: name 5 things that you like about UT.
Why can't anyone say anything negative about UT? That is BS. Why do you just want to be a sheep and be okay with everything this school does. I want competitive teams nothing more. i don't live in Tennessee  so I can see how the locals dismiss all negative postings from a distance. What is he supposed to do better here than he did at Texas? If it ain't a championship, then we need better. Why participate in a sport unless to win it all. There is a lot to like about UT. I am just voicing my opinion about some of these ridiculous hires every one tries to sugar coat. Like Tyndall. Out of all coaches out there, why did the powers that be choose him? I knew it was a bad hire. wWhy didn't they?

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 07:15:02 EDT »

Also, after putting some more thought into the theory of "if he couldn't win championships at Texas he certainly won't win them at Tennessee," I'm not so sure that's fair. It's easy to think of Texas as a basketball powerhouse now, but where was it before Barnes? The Longhorns made a string of NCAAT appearances in the early '90s, but never achieved national prominence until Barnes arrived on the scene. The facilities there are okay, but just okay. Fan support there is okay, but just okay. He'll enjoy better facilities and better fan support in Knoxville, and he's in a conference that might not be considered better than the Big 12 right now but one that certainly seems poised to become much better. This might just be the perfect marriage.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 07:16:07 EDT »

Why don't you give me 5 reason's this is the best hire possible. That's fair.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 07:17:10 EDT »

I note the dodge ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 07:18:29 EDT »

I knew it was a bad hire. wWhy didn't they?

Wait. Why was the Donnie Tyndall hire a bad one? I mean, in retrospect it was obviously a terrible hire. But at the time, why should it have obviously been a bad hire?
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 07:19:24 EDT »

Wait. Why was the Donnie Tyndall hire a bad one? I mean, in retrospect it was obviously a terrible hire. But at the time, why should it have obviously been a bad hire?
He was under an investigation we lied knowing about. How bad of a hire is that. But that's totally on the Vol administration.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:50:52 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 07:20:54 EDT »

George Mason
Providence
rat bastards
Texas
ACADEMICS

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 07:43:32 EDT »

Why can't anyone say anything negative about UT? That is BS. Why do you just want to be a sheep and be okay with everything this school does. I want competitive teams nothing more. i don't live in Tennessee  so I can see how the locals dismiss all negative postings from a distance. What is he supposed to do better here than he did at Texas? If it ain't a championship, then we need better. Why participate in a sport unless to win it all. There is a lot to like about UT. I am just voicing my opinion about some of these ridiculous hires every one tries to sugar coat. Like Tyndall. Out of all coaches out there, why did the powers that be choose him? I knew it was a bad hire. wWhy didn't they?

I say plenty of negative things about UT, and so does everyone else who has posted in this thread. I challenged you because every thread you start is negative. All of them. And then you wonder why they elicit a strong negative reaction.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 07:49:47 EDT »

Here's two:

* He's taken more teams to final fours than the entire history of UT basketball
* He's had more players drafted in the 1st round than the entire history of UT basketball

And then three more. Upon his hiring, Barnes is (among active coaches):

* 1st in the SEC in all time wins
* 1st in the SEC in NCAA tournament appearances
* 1st in the SEC in APR history (perfect for going on 10 years).

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 07:54:55 EDT »

Given our current situation, I consider this a home run hire. As was mentioned, he may not get us to where we ultimately want to be, but I think it is safe to say he will provide the much needed stability we need while cultivating the program back to legitimacy.

Also, just because he "underachieved" at Texas does not mean he can't do even better here.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 08:08:04 EDT »

Barnes got fired because the AD told him to fire some or all the assistant coaches and he refused. So he was fired or allowed to quit.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 08:35:43 EDT »

I don't have problem with this hire, especially considering the circumstances. He's a proven coach and he'll provide stability at a time when we need it. Quite frankly I'm amazed that someone with his credentials would want to step into this mess.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 09:10:28 EDT »

I'm not overly enamored with the hire myself, but I think if we step back and look in the mirror, we'll realize that posts like these are why everyone outside Tennessee laughs at us for being unrealistic. I mean, the guy HAS won 600+ games, he HAS been to 22 NCAA Tournaments (we've only been to 20 as a program in the entire history of the school), and he was the Big 12 Coach of the Year just last year. Every national basketball pundit is wowed by this hire. I don't want to put too much stock into their opinions, but it's clear that almost everyone considers this a win except the actual fans...which is really weird.

I would've preferred Will Wade myself, but I'll also admit that while I fully expect Wade to be winning championships at a Power 5 school someday in the not too distant future, there's also a pretty significant risk with Wade. The ceiling may not be as high with Barnes as it is with some of the younger guys, but the risk is significantly less and, let's face it, we can't afford to swing and miss on a coach right now. Barnes' track record suggests it's a given he'll be able to recruit guys here and get us to the NCAAT. Then, in a few years, when he's ready to retire, hopefully the program will be in a position where we can go out and steal coaches other schools want instead of just making futile wish lists of coaches that are out of our league. It's a safe hire, and that's hard to argue with.
Totally agree

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 10:07:18 EDT »

Why cant you ever see anything positive about the program?  u sound like Joevols. 
Just my opinion and observation and in no way reflects the opinions and values of this board, this station or any of its affiliates. 

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 10:44:42 EDT »

Why cant you ever see anything positive about the program?  u sound like Joevols. 
Just my opinion and observation and in no way reflects the opinions and values of this board, this station or any of its affiliates. 
i can appreciate that. I am just tired of all these fixes for dumpster fires just making the flames bigger. I still think Tyndall would have been a great coach, especially X's and O's but he had all the baggage. That's the real shame.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 10:47:05 EDT »

Barnes got fired because the AD told him to fire some or all the assistant coaches and he refused. So he was fired or allowed to quit.
Is that truth or rumor? I guess it doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things.

volsboyinsodak
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 10:58:19 EDT »

I would have preferred a couple of other candidates, but think Barnes is a solid hire. We'll whine about a few things he does, but he'll run a clean, competitive program. The positives will outweigh negatives.

We could have done way worse.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 11:00:23 EDT »

I just leave all the butt-kissing to everyone else. I've been away long enough not to be blinded by Orange colored glasses as much as most here. I just don't understand everyone's let's find another excuse to like these coaches posts. Don't question my loyalty?

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 11:02:26 EDT »

Here's two:

* He's taken more teams to final fours than the entire history of UT basketball
* He's had more players drafted in the 1st round than the entire history of UT basketball

And then three more. Upon his hiring, Barnes is (among active coaches):

* 1st in the SEC in all time wins
* 1st in the SEC in NCAA tournament appearances
* 1st in the SEC in APR history (perfect for going on 10 years).

He ain't done diddly for the Vols. He is 0-0 in the SEC if you ask me.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 11:23:09 EDT »

He ain't done diddly for the Vols. He is 0-0 in the SEC if you ask me.
so he is about the same as you
as far as answering questions ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 11:26:20 EDT »

Volsboy, Barnes himself said he was told by the AD that staff changes had to occur. So if the fired coach says so, I believe him that it is not a rumor.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 11:27:34 EDT »

I just leave all the butt-kissing to everyone else. I've been away long enough not to be blinded by Orange colored glasses as much as most here. I just don't understand everyone's let's find another excuse to like these coaches posts. Don't question my loyalty?

Blah, blah, blah.  A familiar refrain by the self-proclaimed "voices of reason" who believe their negativity equates to objectivity.  It doesn't, any more than positivity equates to butt kissing.  And your use of that pejorative characterization says a lot more about you than those you intend to insult.  Nice job.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: