VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 10:50:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barnes is the new UT coach. Why did he get fired again? Underacheiving? Yes  (Read 18586 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 11:28:38 EDT »

Volsboy, Barnes himself said he was told by the AD that staff changes had to occur. So if the fired coach says so, I believe him that it is not a rumor.
It can't handle the truth!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 11:33:47 EDT »

Is that truth or rumor? I guess it doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things.
Truth, which apparently you have a difficult time dealing with ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 11:34:51 EDT »

Fact......repeat FACT. Barnes would still be the coach at Texas if he had done what the AD wanted and fired a couple of asst. coaches. He was just COY last season in the Big 12.

As far as resume's, Barnes is the best hire based on resume that UT has hired in my 60 plus years of being a UT fan. Only Johnny Majors marching home can compete with it. Been to the dance more that we have in school history TOTAL. Our program needs a coach like him after the turmoil we've had over the past 5 years.....Barnes will recruit and I'll be surprised when he gets some players if we aren't in the dance most years. Yeah...we really needed to hire one of those young-guns that hasn't proved much....that would be the ticket....LOL. As stated, if we had hired Barnes 2 days after CCM left, most fans moaning right now would be leading the cheers for Barnes.

Also, we all want to win a championship...but noodle this. Post NIT, in the Modern NCAA era, there is only 34 different schools that have won a NCAA national championship....Hell, right now....I hope Barnes just gets us in position to win a SEC championship.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 11:35:18 EDT »

Volsboy, Barnes himself said he was told by the AD that staff changes had to occur. So if the fired coach says so, I believe him that it is not a rumor.

Yep.  Actually, he confirmed the information after it had previously been leaked:

"Barnes confirmed Patterson told him a few days ago he had to fire staff or be fired himself. That ultimatum was leaked to the media Thursday, publicly turning up the pressure on Barnes and his assistants. Barnes blamed the leaks on the athletic department but didn't name any individuals behind them."

Of course, I know only what I've read.  I have absolutely no knowledge of Barnes or his coaching abilities (or lack thereof).  
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 12:34:07 EDT »

What is he supposed to do better here than he did at Texas? If it ain't a championship, then we need better.

So the hiring criteria should be coaches who have won championships?  Small pool.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2015, 12:44:13 EDT »

Blah, blah, blah.  A familiar refrain by the self-proclaimed "voices of reason" who believe their negativity equates to objectivity.  It doesn't, any more than positivity equates to butt kissing.  And your use of that pejorative characterization says a lot more about you than those you intend to insult.  Nice job.
  I guess I should just be happy at making the dance. If being one of 64 is something to hang your hat on. I'm just saying these coaches get a pass for sub-par performances. He is no doubt a good coach. But what happened the last few seasons to make them want him gone? He is still captain on the ship and all the results point back to him. They don't let people go for excelling.

volsboyinsodak
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2015, 12:57:15 EDT »

I guess I should just be happy at making the dance. If being one of 64 is something to hang your hat on. I'm just saying these coaches get a pass for sub-par performances. He is no doubt a good coach. But what happened the last few seasons to make them want him gone? He is still captain on the ship and all the results point back to him. They don't let people go for excelling.

And that has exactly zero to do with my post.  You seem to excel at that.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2015, 01:28:44 EDT »

Would like some cheese????

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2015, 01:34:32 EDT »

And that has exactly zero to do with my post.  You seem to excel at that.
I went back and read the posts. You are right. I do sound like Debbie Downer. Don't mean to always sound negative, but it seems like I am more times than not. It is noted.

volsboyinsodak
generic name here
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2015, 01:40:22 EDT »

I have to tell you, volsboy, you are wasting your time here trying to argue the merits of a coach at Tennessee with this board. These same posters were all behind Derek Dooley, Sal Sunseri, Cuonzo Martin, Mike Bajakian, and Donnie Tyndall. Everyone of those coaches had plenty of negatives to point to, but it didn't matter until they were no longer employed by Tennessee (or clearly about to be fired, a la Dooley in his last season), then suddenly it was okay to less than pleased with them. That's just the way it is here. You will not be allowed to disagree.

Now that I have said that, perhaps you are jumping the gun a little with all this anger. Rick Barnes is as good as it is going to get right now. Save some of that annoyance for later when Tennessee is in a position to be pickier regarding coaching hires.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2015, 01:43:12 EDT »

I have to tell you, volsboy, you are wasting your time here trying to argue the merits of a coach at Tennessee with this board. These same posters were all behind Derek Dooley, Sal Sunseri, Cuonzo Martin, Mike Bajakian, and Donnie Tyndall. Everyone of those coaches had plenty of negatives to point to, but it didn't matter until they were no longer employed by Tennessee (or clearly about to be fired, a la Dooley in his last season), then suddenly it was okay to less than pleased with them. That's just the way it is here. You will not be allowed to disagree.

Now that I have said that, perhaps you are jumping the gun a little with all this anger. Rick Barnes is as good as it is going to get right now. Save some of that annoyance for later when Tennessee is in a position to be pickier regarding coaching hires.
That's just it, he isn't arguing the merits, just the opposite.  HE can not, will not accept FACTS. period. dot.  However, he does like to whine.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2015, 01:50:22 EDT »

You will not be allowed to disagree.

So if others disagree with your disagreement, that somehow means you're not allowed to disagree?!  Funny, but I don't see any censorship of posts of disagreement.  It seems to me that's just discourse.  The real issue is the assertions by those disagreeing with the majority that somehow they are the only objective or realistic fans/posters.  That's simply absurd.
generic name here
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2015, 02:20:06 EDT »

So if others disagree with your disagreement, that somehow means you're not allowed to disagree?!  Funny, but I don't see any censorship of posts of disagreement.  It seems to me that's just discourse.  The real issue is the assertions by those disagreeing with the majority that somehow they are the only objective or realistic fans/posters.  That's simply absurd.

I actually typed out a post that tried to reasonably state my opinion of the way things work here and why I believe it happens, but I know that no one truly cares and it would just perpetuate the animosity and harshness of interactions between myself and people around here. So, forget whatever adult response I had in mind. I'll leave you all to it.
10EC
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 02:33:53 EDT »

So if others disagree with your disagreement, that somehow means you're not allowed to disagree?!  Funny, but I don't see any censorship of posts of disagreement.  It seems to me that's just discourse.  The real issue is the assertions by those disagreeing with the majority that somehow they are the only objective or realistic fans/posters.  That's simply absurd.

I can tell you are a lawyer.  I had to read one of those sentences about 5 times.  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:02:49 EDT by 10EC » Logged
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2015, 03:20:58 EDT »

I think Barnes is a good hire,considering all the mess that UT basketball has been in since Pearl gate and what choices are out there...Barnes has a proven track record and will bring stability to the program..IMO
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2015, 07:05:25 EDT »

He ain't done diddly for the Vols. He is 0-0 in the SEC if you ask me.

Yes.  That is literally true.  Pat yourself on the back.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2015, 07:08:31 EDT »

Given where our program is, it's a fantastic hire.  I don't expect us to be any good for a season or two, but if he even gets us to the NCAA in 3 years I am happy that we are back on the right path.  If things don't look up much after that, another change can be made.

I am confident he can lead us to the NCAA tournament. 

Given how beaten down our program is, expectations of anything else are overblown, to make a major understatement.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: