VTTW Board Index
April 24, 2024, 06:14:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did I read this correctly?.......  (Read 6984 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2015, 05:41:03 EDT »

Butch wants the fans in the stadium to recite Neyland's Maxims before each game?

I don't think that will go over like he thinks.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 06:03:41 EDT »

Yeah, he might be overplaying his hand a bit with that one. 

I'll make you a deal, Coach.  Win the East this year, and next year I'll recite anything you want before the games.  If you want me to recite the lyrics to "Afternoon Delight", I'm all in.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 06:53:17 EDT »

JMO...but I wish Butch would worry about winning some big games and leave the Barnum and Bailey stuff to someone else.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 07:17:40 EDT »

Until he beats UF and Bama in the same year he needs to shut up and coach. A lot of folks aren't sold on his x's and o's coaching yet. But if he keeps recruiting top 5 classes he will be able to out-talent other teams. I want to see him out-coach Saban, Richt and all the other SEC coaches.

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 08:48:46 EDT »

That has already been tried during Fulmer's tenure.  It didn't work then, either. 

I would be really happy if Butch would just be concerned about winning and losing football games.  Winning is what will make Neyland "Neylandesque" again.  Gimmicks are just that - gimmicks - and they don't sustain themselves over the long run. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 09:33:16 EDT »

Meh . . . tried before, pretty dull. But these comments have me laughing:

I wish Butch would worry about winning some big games and leave the Barnum and Bailey stuff to someone else.

Until he beats UF and Bama in the same year he needs to shut up and coach.

I would be really happy if Butch would just be concerned about winning and losing football games.

As if Butch doesn't know that winning football games is what he's paid to do. 

Some of this stuff is pretty cheesy but if you don't see that Butch is playing a bigger game here then you just aren't paying attention. On the contrary, he's doing everything possible to promote Tennessee and sell it to whoever will listen as part of a ground-up rebuild of a trashed football program. The brand is damaged and he's doing what he can to bring it back, and that matters-- it sells the program to recruits, gets us in the media, and puts butts into seats and dollars into donations.

Come on, guys. Butch is doing everything he can to win and with whatever energy he has left he's trying to get UT football back on the map in terms of brand recognition and fan support. How he can be criticized for that effort is beyond me.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 09:59:37 EDT »

Some of this stuff is pretty cheesy but if you don't see that Butch is playing a bigger game here then you just aren't paying attention. On the contrary, he's doing everything possible to promote Tennessee and sell it to whoever will listen as part of a ground-up rebuild of a trashed football program. The brand is damaged and he's doing what he can to bring it back, and that matters-- it sells the program to recruits, gets us in the media, and puts butts into seats and dollars into donations.

Come on, guys. Butch is doing everything he can to win and with whatever energy he has left he's trying to get UT football back on the map in terms of brand recognition and fan support. How he can be criticized for that effort is beyond me.

No, reciting the maxims in pre game HAS been tried before and it went over like a lead balloon.  Is it going to be a hit this time just because Butch is doing it? 

Just because I'm "old" in your eyes, CO, doesn't mean that I don't understand what today's recruits like. I'm around it - and damned close to some kids whom Butch and his staff are on pretty heavily. 

Bottom line - winning - dot - period - is what will build the "brand" at this point.  All of the other bullshizzle really doesn't make a tinker's damn. 

And exactly where did I criticize him?  I simply stated an opinion that I would like to see him worry more about coaching the team than trying to be Barnum and/or Bailey at this point.  Have we gotten so damned politically correct that offering an opinion is "criticism"? 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 10:09:38 EDT »

No, reciting the maxims in pre game HAS been tried before and it went over like a lead balloon.  Is it going to be a hit this time just because Butch is doing it?  

Yeah, I said as much.

Just because I'm "old" in your eyes, CO, doesn't mean that I don't understand what today's recruits like. I'm around it - and damned close to some kids whom Butch and his staff are on pretty heavily.  

You are putting words in my mouth.

Bottom line - winning - dot - period - is what will build the "brand" at this point.  All of the other bullshizzle really doesn't make a tinker's damn.

Yeah, I disagree here. Everything you do around the program can help accelerate the process. Putting up 10 wins takes time, and if you can get recruits, publicity, and fans BEFORE that, you'll probably get there faster.

And exactly where did I criticize him?  I simply stated an opinion that I would like to see him worry more about coaching the team than trying to be Barnum and/or Bailey at this point.  Have we gotten so damned politically correct that offering an opinion is "criticism"?  

Come on Herb, what the hell does this have to do with PC? You have the right to your assessment of Butch's methods even if it amounts to criticism, and I have the right to my opinion of said assessment-- which I have now voiced.

But . . . you clearly think Butch's priorities aren't optimal or there would be no need to tell him what he ought to focus on. Is that not what you're saying? How is that NOT a criticism?

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 10:29:46 EDT »

I agree with you to a point. If he keeps recruiting like he does they will win. You can't fake having or not having talent. All these cheesy things would be more tolerable after a 10-2 season. Until then, they are just that, cheesy. I just want some swagger back in the team. Even Kiffin had that.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 11:07:13 EDT »

Win some big games.....beat somebody other than USCe, beat a Florida more than once in 10 years, beat Bama once in a while ....get ranked in the top 15.....and UT fans will come up with more traditions than you can shake a stick at.

If you can back up all this cheesy stuff, fine. If not it makes you look stupid and just gives folks something to laugh at.
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 04:30:46 EDT »

I agree completely with CO. I mean, c'mon, yesterday everyone was all excited over the Sweet Home Alabama video…which was completely staged. It's all about salesmanship. And Butch Jones is pretty good at it.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 04:43:30 EDT »

I agree completely with CO. I mean, c'mon, yesterday everyone was all excited over the Sweet Home Alabama video…which was completely staged. It's all about salesmanship. And Butch Jones is pretty good at it.

If the Maxims were to replace the cheerleaders' on-field pregame routine, I'd sign on right now.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 12:19:09 EDT »

I am pulling for Butch, but there are times he appears to be Houston Nutt with better organizational skills. If he avoids strategic and tactical blunders, he can hold forth on anything he likes.

We'll see how it goes.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 07:37:49 EDT »

Well said!

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 11:25:28 EDT »

That sums it up for me.  Ditto.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: