VTTW Board Index
April 23, 2024, 05:49:58 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: US Open host Chambers Bay  (Read 4421 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2015, 08:32:25 EDT »

Anyone seen and/or played it?  Just from TV, it looks to me like a slightly flatter version of Whistling Straits- which I don't like as a major host.  If you're going to build a links style course you can't put those scrub areas in, thus taking the bump and run out of play.  I guess if the wind is calm, it might work.  It is undeniably beautiful.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 01:08:59 EDT »

Love the look of Chambers Bay......Gonna be a good ride for the next 4 days. Hard and fast and huge greens. American golfers have been spoiled with green and soft courses. Hope 10 over wins the thing.

Wish they would build more courses here like this.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 01:42:12 EDT »

I haven't seen the forecast, but over any given four day period in Tacoma, you're bound to get some rain.  Maybe a LOT of rain.  So it remains to be seen if the course will stay fast.  Between Chambers Bay, St. Andrews, and Whistling Straits, the next three majors are going to give me my fill of links golf. 

I just hope that the USGA doesn't overcompensate in their setup again.  The last time the Open was played at a muni (Bethpage), they made it so tough, and set the tees so far back that many of the pros couldn't even reach the fairway.  I don't mind a tough layout, but it needs to be fair.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 02:16:46 EDT »

I don't mind a tough layout, but it needs to be fair.

The only time I care about "fair" is with the greens. I think a good shot should stay on the green and not roll off because the greens are mounded and very firm.

The rest of the time I want these pampered sons of guns tortured. Let's see somebody cry like a little girl. 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 04:14:23 EDT »

Make missing the fairway a punishment......and a bunker torture.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 04:19:50 EDT »

Sure, but a perfectly straight 260 yard drive should not land in the scrub short of the fairway, either, as happened at Bethpage.  They basically set up that course so that only the huge hitters had a chance.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 04:20:12 EDT »

Make missing the fairway a punishment.......

Needs to be very much a graduated rough, in my opinion.  It's not equitable to penalize the guy who misses an 18 yard wide fairway by a yard the same as the guy who misses it by 20 yards.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 05:55:20 EDT »

From what I've seen and read.....the fairways are pretty wide at Chambers Bay. The premium is going to be iron shots into greens and being able to hit spots even if it's away from the pins.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 07:55:57 EDT »

From what I've seen and read.....the fairways are pretty wide at Chambers Bay. The premium is going to be iron shots into greens and being able to hit spots even if it's away from the pins.
The fairways are wide, except in the landing areas, where they are very narrow

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 01:01:21 EDT »

Unlike Hazeltine National in Chaska, MN, which I played the week following the 91 US Open when I was there on business and one of the guys I was working with was a member.   The membership decided to keep it as close to open conditions for a couple of weeks following the Open.  Toughest golf course I have every played.  Landing areas were tight (a couple about 14 yards in width) and the greens were like putting on glass.  It was really humbling, and that was the time in my life that I was playing the best golf I have ever played.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 01:46:48 EDT »

The fairways are wide, except in the landing areas, where they are very narrow

Only if your are trying to BOMB it to the narrow parts....in which case you get what you deserve. It's why most aren't using their drivers very much and going with 3 woods. As a US Open goes, these are about as wide of fairways you will ever see.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 01:57:49 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 03:48:10 EDT »

If one of those trains that run past the 15th green were to de-rail and crash into the Puget Sound, it wouldn't be any bigger of a trainwreck than Tiger's game right now.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 04:28:22 EDT »

If one of those trains that run past the 15th green were to de-rail and crash into the Puget Sound, it wouldn't be any bigger of a trainwreck than Tiger's game right now.

Hate to say (not really)....but it's fun to watch. Hope he misses the cut by 20 strokes so he can take another 4 weeks off before he plays again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: