VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 04:42:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussion of Chavis' late game D while at LSU  (Read 5690 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2015, 11:43:08 EDT »

Nothing new here, but he apparently has not yet learned how to handle a lead late 

http://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/addressing-the-attacking-style-chavis-defense-claims---gulf-war-edition/57507647/

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 12:07:09 EDT »

For all the complaining I did about Chief while he was here, I'd take him over anyone we've had since he left.  Even Jancek.  He looks to have us on the right track, and now that he has some talent at his disposal, he may yet prove to be better.  But Chavis is a proven quantity.  He's coordinated one NC winning defense, and several more of that caliber that probably could have won a NC had their teams been better in the other phases of the game.  

If Jancek can approach that kind of production, we're in for some very fun times in the near future.  He's shown a lot of potential with limited talent, so now it's time to see what he can do with some All-SEC caliber guys.  
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 12:13:55 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 03:00:48 EDT »

I'm encouraged by Jancek and think he will end up better than Chavis.  Spurrier was notorious for exploiting Chavis.  Chavis also had no clue how to stop a running quarterback.  He did do a lot of good but I think Jancek is going to be better.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 03:13:19 EDT »

I'm encouraged by Jancek and think he will end up better than Chavis.  Spurrier was notorious for exploiting Chavis.  Chavis also had no clue how to stop a running quarterback.  He did do a lot of good but I think Jancek is going to be better.

Well to be fair, Spurrier exploited everyone back in the day.  And when Chavis finally had elite talent from about '97 on, he held UF's offense down as well as anyone.  

Likewise, running QBs are a problem for pretty much every DC right now.  Especially when they have good players around them.  Even Saban and Smart, who many think is the greatest defensive braintrust in the history of the world, have had their problems with mobile QBs.  See Newton, Manziel, Marshall, and what's-his-face from OSU.  Even Dobbs was able to give them problems last year.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 03:49:48 EDT »

I'm encouraged by Jancek and think he will end up better than Chavis.  Spurrier was notorious for exploiting Chavis.  Chavis also had no clue how to stop a running quarterback.  He did do a lot of good but I think Jancek is going to be better.

OK, i'll bite - for what reasons do you believe that Jancek will even be on a level with Chavis, much less better? 

And I am not trying to be confrontational at all - I am just trying to understand your line of thinking.  I've seen nothing from Jancek at this point to think that he will ever be on that level.  Under Jancek, even in the bigger wins we've given up a lot of points, and we've also given up a lot of points to teams that weren't necessarily offensive powers in other games. 

Just don't see Jancek's body of work being one that leaves anybody with that kind of warm fuzzies.  Were he the DC at any other school I don't think anybody would be speaking of him as a potential Chavis caliber DC. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 04:26:32 EDT »

OK, i'll bite - for what reasons do you believe that Jancek will even be on a level with Chavis, much less better?  

And I am not trying to be confrontational at all - I am just trying to understand your line of thinking.  I've seen nothing from Jancek at this point to think that he will ever be on that level.  Under Jancek, even in the bigger wins we've given up a lot of points, and we've also given up a lot of points to teams that weren't necessarily offensive powers in other games.  

Just don't see Jancek's body of work being one that leaves anybody with that kind of warm fuzzies.  Were he the DC at any other school I don't think anybody would be speaking of him as a potential Chavis caliber DC.  

Personally, I'm on the fence with this one.  Jancek showed a lot of improvement between years one and two, even with limited talent and depth.  Even with an offense that repeatedly turned the ball over, put them in poor field position, and left them on the field way too long.  With some more pieces in place on both sides of the ball, it's not unreasonable to think that he can be a very, very good SEC coordinator.  

But it's also presumptive to think that he will better a guy who has a proven track record of leading championship caliber defenses.

That said, he may not have to.  With the proliferation of hurry up offenses and rules changes designed to protect the ball carrier, we're in an offensive age of CFB.  You're not going to see defenses giving up single digit points and under 200 yards per game anymore.  At least not at this level.  If we're to win another national title, it will be won primarily on the offensive side of the ball.  The defense need only hold them up enough for us to outscore them.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 04:28:42 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 06:38:52 EDT »

Well for the record I have always liked Chief, and hated to see him go to LSU.  I was just

surprised at how much he collapsed late in games at LSU.  It was far more than I thought.

I agree he would have been better than pretty much anyone since, though i am sure we all would have been disappointed with late game collapses with, as the link says, players playing 15 yards off the ball pre-snap. 

As for Jancek, all I will say is that I was pleasantly surprised by our D last year.  They were far from perfect, but much, much better than I expected them to be.  Given the talent we have coming back, I expect good things this year.  The DEs will be the strength of the team and the LBs should be solid in spite of the loss of AJ.  We all know DT is a bit soft and we really struggled at DB at times last year.  If we can have a couple more DBs step up and shore up the DTs, this could be a really good year defensively.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 07:11:18 EDT »

Interesting in that most of the long pass plays last year were against one player.  Even Mosley, who was beat a couple of times early (the pass over his head at SC was one) improved significantly later in the year.

I think we upgrade at Nickel for sure and we are deep at Safety with 4 who could play every down.  I think that will lead to a more aggressive defense that Jancek wants to play.

Even at DT we have seriously upgraded the level of player though we are not as deep as I'd like to be (same at corner).

Biggest hole/issue with the defense going into practice is Mike.  We need somebody to step up.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 01:59:20 EDT »

D of comparable talent, Chavis had some great talent. I loved Chavis because he was a Tennessee boy but I can't forgive him for blowing the SECCG against LSU....we put Davies out and Toefield (wasn't that the RB?) and he allowed a freshman white boy come in and run on us and leave us with pie on our face....that was inexcusable! I be damned if I'd let him run on us, force him to throw but don't just drop back and wait for him to peel of 8-12 yrds over and over again.     
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 03:58:23 EDT »

D of comparable talent, Chavis had some great talent. I loved Chavis because he was a Tennessee boy but I can't forgive him for blowing the SECCG against LSU....we put Davies out and Toefield (wasn't that the RB?) and he allowed a freshman white boy come in and run on us and leave us with pie on our face....that was inexcusable! I be damned if I'd let him run on us, force him to throw but don't just drop back and wait for him to peel of 8-12 yrds over and over again.     

I don't think any of us were happy with the "Third and Chavis" plays that happened way too often.  And I am not singing praises of Chavis as the greatest defensive coordinators ever. 

My point is that Janzek hasn't even put himself in the conversation on a level with Chavis yet.  Any comparison there one way or the other is way too premature. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 04:15:33 EDT »

I don't think any of us were happy with the "Third and Chavis" plays that happened way too often.  And I am not singing praises of Chavis as the greatest defensive coordinators ever. 

My point is that Janzek hasn't even put himself in the conversation on a level with Chavis yet.  Any comparison there one way or the other is way too premature. 

I agree with this. Still, I was quite pleased with what he was able to do with a thin, young defense last year. We won't know if he's a championship DC until he has championship talent, but that time is coming soon. We are not far from being stacked on D.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 04:33:33 EDT »

I had a lot of concern about Jancek after year one. After year two, I'm hopefully. I think he can be a very good defensive coordinator in this conference.

As for Chavis, I would be lying if I said I was disappointed to see him go. I would also be lying if I said I wouldn't be happy to see him come back.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 05:25:42 EDT »

I had a lot of concern about Jancek after year one. After year two, I'm hopefully. I think he can be a very good defensive coordinator in this conference.

As for Chavis, I would be lying if I said I was disappointed to see him go. I would also be lying if I said I wouldn't be happy to see him come back.
dittos
Some of the schemes in year 1 were just weird to bad.  The Oregon game comes to mind.  We used a similar scheme to the one used at Oregon later in the year to similar results.  We were doing weird things with the safeties and it was repeatedly putting us out of position and Oregon exploited the heck out of it.  ,out of their big plays were against that defensive formation/scheme

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: