VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 08:57:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I a Bad Fan? (Nike)  (Read 4745 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2015, 05:52:36 EDT »

I am wholly ambivalent about Nike becoming our new partner. Admittedly, I am not hip, I am not cool, and I do not care, but should I be excited?

Obviously I'm all for the athletic department getting the best support possible. 

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 05:54:30 EDT »

I am wholly ambivalent about Nike becoming our new partner. Admittedly, I am not hip, I am not cool, and I do not care, but should I be excited?

Obviously I'm all for the athletic department getting the best support possible. 

I think it helps the brand and helps in basketball recruiting in particular. Otherwise I wouldn't care much either.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 06:23:45 EDT »

You people are going to hate Nike when UT takes the field or court in pajama-inspired and colored uniforms. It is going to happen. The players have already voted on and worn gray. What makes you think if Nike designs something the players love, but the fans hate, that the players do not win?  With the money Nike is giving UT, what makes anyone on this board believe Hart will say no? Maybe not this year, but a couple years down the road, you can almost bet the player are wearing a patterned UT orange jersey so Nike can market it. When you sell your soul to corporate America, you lose the ability to say no. It is going to happen.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 06:31:52 EDT »

Unfortunately it's probably a necessary evil.
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 07:19:51 EDT »

I despise Nike, but mostly I just like giving people heck who are Nike fanboys. The Lady Vols name-change debacle aside, it's not a huge deal either way to me, so long as they leave our uniforms alone. But I'm amazed at the absolute giddiness of many UT fans...as if a brand change is suddenly going to return our program to national prominence. I made a sarcastic tweet about Nike on Twitter this morning as part of a ribbing exchange between a friend and myself and you should've seen the barrage of insults, cursing and just general, all-around meanness that was unleashed on me. Pretty incredible...and amusing. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 08:02:03 EDT »

I despise Nike, but mostly I just like giving people heck who are Nike fanboys. The Lady Vols name-change debacle aside, it's not a huge deal either way to me, so long as they leave our uniforms alone. But I'm amazed at the absolute giddiness of many UT fans...as if a brand change is suddenly going to return our program to national prominence. I made a sarcastic tweet about Nike on Twitter this morning as part of a ribbing exchange between a friend and myself and you should've seen the barrage of insults, cursing and just general, all-around meanness that was unleashed on me. Pretty incredible...and amusing. 
nike = :bird:otherwise, no opinion ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 08:41:26 EDT »

Beat Bama and they can take the field with bras and panties painted on for all I care.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 09:34:33 EDT »

I didn't think about hoops camps. That makes sense. I'll say for this for adidas.

A) We were as good as anyone when we signed on, and aside from Nebraska, perhaps their only big name.

B) They put out some cool print ads then with us.

I buy store brand stuff from Academy and Cabela's, so I am the barometer for nothing fashion-related. I'm typing this while wearing a free golf shirt from a former employer (not a competitor of current employer).

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 09:43:34 EDT »

Agree most with CO and Droner.

Don't think there will be much affect on football.  We were likely going to see the alternate uni combos no matter whether we were an adidas, Nike, Under Armor, or Buster Brown school. 

Basketball is a different animal, however, and it now dominated in AAU and high school basketball by Nike.  It's the hip shoe/apparel company in that sport. 

And as Droner said, it's a necessary evil to keep up with the Joneses, no pun intended. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 11:21:34 EDT »

I really liked the Addidas products. However, Nike will have a larger selection of Vols stuff. I like Addidas shoes better than Nike though.

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 01:29:23 EDT »

Yes.  You're a horrible fan.  If you're not on the swoosh train, then we don't need you.  Go cheer for bammer.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 02:14:42 EDT »

Nike will do a great job marketing wise....much better than Adidas has done over the last several years.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 03:55:02 EDT »

Thank you BDV! Perhaps my fandom would curse them. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: