VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 02:34:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting article on the VP case...  (Read 7973 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2015, 04:32:56 EDT »

http://blanknews.com/2015/08/limbo-strange-case-von-pearson/
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 06:02:16 EDT »

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 09:00:24 EDT »

I'm beginning to believe that he's done at UT.  If it's gone this long and he's not back, I don't think he'll be back. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 10:21:00 EDT »

Welcome to the world of the SJWs, where reality is rejected outright

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 02:57:01 EDT »

I don't know what SJW means but my impression is that the case against him must be pretty serious for the university to re-suspend him. Hopefully some clarity will come soon.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 05:02:08 EDT »

I don't know what SJW means but my impression is that the case against him must be pretty serious for the university to re-suspend him. Hopefully some clarity will come soon.
Social Justice Warriors
They do not give a DAMN about the truth, just the cause.  Example, see the absolute FALSE Rolling Stone article on a claimed rape in a UVA frat that was written to prove a fact known not to be true.
The re-suspension smacks of a SJW vendetta.  The no associated rationale is a key factor as SJW's need no facts or rationale as they know more than the law or due process.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 06:48:42 EDT »

I wonder if it has anything to do with keeping up appearances for the Title IX investigators...

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 06:51:23 EDT »

Social Justice Warriors
They do not give a DAMN about the truth, just the cause.  Example, see the absolute FALSE Rolling Stone article on a claimed rape in a UVA frat that was written to prove a fact known not to be true.
The re-suspension smacks of a SJW vendetta.  The no associated rationale is a key factor as SJW's need no facts or rationale as they know more than the law or due process.

Got it. You may be right. Then again maybe he really did do something. 

Either way I do think the university should explain it's stance.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 12:34:02 EDT »

I wonder if it has anything to do with keeping up appearances for the Title IX investigators...

I think that has a whole lot to do with....JMO.

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 04:11:26 EDT »

Right now UT is running scared because of the sexual abuse claim and Federal investigation of their response and training. So to be safe, UT suspended VP so the Federal authorities could not claim UT was ignoring a sexual charge. UT has NEVER had to have any facts before punishing someone. They do not need proof, just suspicion to act against everyone but an administrator.
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 07:36:45 EDT »

Hyams just tweeted that Pearson will not be prosecuted.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 07:42:43 EDT »

Reading this article again:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/investigations/2015/07/16/feds-launch-sexual-violence-investigation-ut/30251729/

I notice that at the top the investigation was based on a single complaint.  Reading through it the first time, I thought there had been multiple complaints.  The article does not state any details about the complaint that led to the investigation.

I also think it's unfair for the Tennessean to tack on all the accounts of football players, when it's not even clear that the complaint was about a football player!  It could have been anyone.

But...thinking about it a bit more, what I suspect is that the complaint was about the Von Pearson case, and the Tennessean knew that, but could not report it, so instead strongly implied it.

If my guess is correct, then it might well explain the University's behavior.  If the complaint was specifically about Von Pearson then the caution may well be warranted.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 07:54:30 EDT »

Hyams just tweeted that Pearson will not be prosecuted.

So he's in the clear as far as the law goes, but he still has to be reinstated into school.  And given our "special guests" who are on campus right now, that might not be a given.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 08:14:06 EDT »

So he's in the clear as far as the law goes, but he still has to be reinstated into school.  And given our "special guests" who are on campus right now, that might not be a given.

I agree that we're not necessarily out of the woods yet, but how on earth could UT justifying keeping him suspended if there's not enough evidence to even file charges?

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 08:25:06 EDT »

I agree that we're not necessarily out of the woods yet, but how on earth could UT justifying keeping him suspended if there's not enough evidence to even file charges?

At the very least, it would be a PR nightmare for the top brass at the university. UT fans will demand his reinstatement now...and probably should.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 08:30:44 EDT »

At the very least, it would be a PR nightmare for the top brass at the university. UT fans will demand his reinstatement now...and probably should.

Yeah, really they are in a position where something could be iffy from a PR standpoint (clearing someone who was accused of a crime that's under tight scrutiny right now) or could be a disaster from a PR standpoint or even a lawsuit if they refuse to reinstate him. It may make them nervous to clear him because of the federal investigation but it's far better than the alternative.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 09:25:20 EDT »

reinstate him now that he's not going to be charged...I understand they may be uncomfortable with it, but how can they refuse? If there wasn't enough to charge him then what is there to be concerned about?           
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 10:17:00 EDT »

reinstate him now that he's not going to be charged...I understand they may be uncomfortable with it, but how can they refuse? If there wasn't enough to charge him then what is there to be concerned about?           

Not to be all lawyer like, but it's somewhat similar to allowing a civil suit after an acquittal in a criminal trial -- different standards of proof.  There may not be enough evidence for a district attorney to bring criminal charges, but school officials may feel they have enough evidence to uphold a suspension or expulsion.  One doesn't necessarily preclude the other.  I have no idea if that is what is happening in this situation, but it could be.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 10:35:54 EDT »

Not to be all lawyer like, but it's somewhat similar to allowing a civil suit after an acquittal in a criminal trial -- different standards of proof.  There may not be enough evidence for a district attorney to bring criminal charges, but school officials may feel they have enough evidence to uphold a suspension or expulsion.  One doesn't necessarily preclude the other.  I have no idea if that is what is happening in this situation, but it could be.

It would be hard for them to make that argument when Michael Williams is still allowed to take classes at the university when he was actually charged with a crime. I mean, I know they technically can, but it would be very hard to justify. It seems like they'd be opening themselves up to some terrible PR and maybe a lawsuit if they don't lift his suspension.

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 11:22:53 EDT »

It would be hard for them to make that argument when Michael Williams is still allowed to take classes at the university when he was actually charged with a crime. I mean, I know they technically can, but it would be very hard to justify. It seems like they'd be opening themselves up to some terrible PR and maybe a lawsuit if they don't lift his suspension.

I have read about a few male students removed from colleges/universities for alleged sexual assault who have never been charged and who are now suing, but I haven't heard about success.  There is a real due process issue in many of these cases because accusations are being accepted by schools as fact -- "prove your innocence" to some extent.  It seems schools would prefer to err on that side than the other.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: