VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 10:16:02 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are neutral site games losing their luster?  (Read 4004 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2015, 03:20:01 EDT »

I read today that there are almost 9000 unsold tickets to our opener in Nashville.  I would hope that we could sell out a 67K seat stadium in the opener for our most anticipated season in over a decade, but the fact that they're charging a premium for an OOC tomato can opponent, as well as it coming a week before one of if not THE hottest OOC ticket in Neyland Stadium history, makes it somewhat understandable. 

What's harder to understand is the bammer/Wiscy game in Dallas.  It was reported today that over 30,000 tickets remain for that one.  That's a whole lot of empty seats for a primetime ABC game.  Is that bammer bandwagon starting to empty? 

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 03:33:26 EDT »

Are neutral site games losing their luster?

God, I hope so.

I understand the concept of exposure in terms of recruiting, but I think it's a relatively small effect -- ESPECIALLY a UT game in Nashville.

The Bristol game will be an exception, but I think the run-of-the-mill neutral-site games are just that . . . run of the mill. I'd much rather those games be played at Neyland Stadium.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 03:47:21 EDT »

Are neutral site games losing their luster?

God, I hope so.

I understand the concept of exposure in terms of recruiting, but I think it's a relatively small effect -- ESPECIALLY a UT game in Nashville.

The Bristol game will be an exception, but I think the run-of-the-mill neutral-site games are just that . . . run of the mill. I'd much rather those games be played at Neyland Stadium.

I would hope that slowing ticket sales will bring this neutral site fad to and end.  But it's not happening any time soon.  Starting next season, we'll be playing them for the next three years.  Bristol, Atlanta, then Charlotte (aside: are we playing our own NASCAR circuit or what?).  And we haven't played in Dallas yet, so I wouldn't be surprised if they make a run at us soon.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 02:27:20 EDT »

They'd fare better (no oun intended ) with lower prices. The UNC/SC game in Charlotte is outrageous. All ticket prices gotta come down.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 03:19:05 EDT »

They'd fare better (no oun intended ) with lower prices. The UNC/SC game in Charlotte is outrageous. All ticket prices gotta come down.

Ticket prices is an interesting conundrum across the board. As college football has become such an expensive arms race, schools have footed a not-insignificant part of the cost on the fans' backs. Now, with constantly improving televisions and telecast quality, not to mention every single game being televised, it's becoming more lucrative for fans to stay home. And just wait until 3D HDTV becomes mainstream. It'll be interesting to see what the response to that is in the next 5-10 years WRT ticket prices.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 03:52:14 EDT »

Ticket prices is an interesting conundrum across the board. As college football has become such an expensive arms race, schools have footed a not-insignificant part of the cost on the fans' backs. Now, with constantly improving televisions and telecast quality, not to mention every single game being televised, it's becoming more lucrative for fans to stay home. And just wait until 3D HDTV becomes mainstream. It'll be interesting to see what the response to that is in the next 5-10 years WRT ticket prices.

3D is actually dying in TVs.  Most of the new top models don't even have it, and 3D blu-ray releases have been cut in half in the past couple years.  The only way 3D can make a comeback in TVs is do it without glasses, and we're still a long ways from being able to do that at a reasonable cost.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 04:34:19 EDT »

3D is actually dying in TVs.  Most of the new top models don't even have it, and 3D blu-ray releases have been cut in half in the past couple years.  The only way 3D can make a comeback in TVs is do it without glasses, and we're still a long ways from being able to do that at a reasonable cost.

Good. I have no idea why anyone was ever interested in 3DTV. I deliberately avoided it.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 04:42:50 EDT »

If you are going to do a neutral site game, the opponent needs to be better.

Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 05:11:43 EDT »

I think 3D TV will be back. As BDV says, the only viable option is without glasses required...but at the rate technology is increasing, I wouldn't bet on anything past 4-5 years. I've never seen in-home 3D but I went to a few movies that were 3D and they were spectacular. I can only imagine what sports would look like in 3D if/when we get to that day where it's in our living room.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 08:30:37 EDT »

I think 3D TV will be back. As BDV says, the only viable option is without glasses required...but at the rate technology is increasing, I wouldn't bet on anything past 4-5 years. I've never seen in-home 3D but I went to a few movies that were 3D and they were spectacular. I can only imagine what sports would look like in 3D if/when we get to that day where it's in our living room.

I'd go with 3d if it was a True virtual reality type of experience. The 3rd that is out now looks too fake

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 09:40:49 EDT »

My new-ish TV that I got last year has 3D.  I tried it a few times when I first got it, and haven't used it since.  IMO, there are two things (aside from the glasses) holding home 3D back:

1.  It cuts your resolution in half.  The 3D effect is achieved by offsetting every other line of resolution, effectively cutting a 1080P image to 540P.  It is VERY noticeable in a 1080P set (such as mine); not so much on a 4K set.  The only problem there is that there is very little 4K content out there right now, and only a fraction of that is in 3D. 

2.  But the biggest problem is that the 3D effect is limited by the borders of your screen.  I'm sure most get 3D expecting a movie-theater like experience in their home.  But unless they get a really, REALLY huge screen that goes into and beyond their peripheral vision, that just isn't the case.  Rather than the all-encompassing experience you get at a theater, I would describe it as looking into a fish bowl.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 08:27:36 EDT »

Well....given what I am hearing about the next two years of in-state talent, I'd make an exception for this game.  It wasn't that long ago we struggled to get players out of anywhere but Knoxville.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: