VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 06:25:51 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The decision on Butch should be based on evidence  (Read 2292 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2015, 03:45:30 EDT »

not a lot of emotional reactions or some rumors floating around about altercations with certain O Linemen (unless there is evidence of it)

Always base your views on evidence I say, but you have to see the total evidence over a fair amount of time. Butch has been the coach for 2 1/2 years. In that time he has done some good things. Evidence:

- Recruiting exceptionally well, even though we have been down
 - Marketing the program well, before the season started many recruits called UT a program on the rise, as well as national pundits
 - Won a bowl game

However, there is evidence that he has some shortcomings:

- Multiple in game decisions have been poor to bad, some leading to losses
 - Very conservative playcalling, has not created a killer instinct in the team
 - Utilization of receivers is baffling
 - Dubious hire - See Debord
 - Seems to have "bunker" mentality right now. Stubborn.

We will see by end of this season, likely, what we have in Butch, but he should get one more year. Can he turn this thing around or does the season go to shizzle? Does he get rid of underperforming staff and make some splash hires? Does he continue to recruit well?

He will have one more year to prove he learns from his mistakes. By end of 2016 we will have a complete body of evidence, and then we'll either be happy, or starting over again. I hope he is successful - because if he isn't, UT as a program will continue to suck for a while.
SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 06:03:23 EDT »

Maybe not continue to suck for a while without him. I hope he succeeds but the right coach could hit the ground running. A big "IF" I know, but possible.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 02:14:05 EDT »

I generally agree with your POV Nut.  My opinion is that by far the biggest shortcoming of Butch is what you call the "failure to cultivate a killer instinct".  I sensed a huge letdown in energy and motivation towards the end of the second quarter of the OU game, and it worried me.  Unfortunately my instinct was spot on.  Against Florida I didn't see anything like that but at the very end of the game I think we got a bit tentative on D and it killed us.  The worst was Arkansas.  The D on their second TD drive was Sunseri-like. Jabari Greer called them out for it on SEC Network.

When a good team used to winning is ahead 14 points in the second quarter, they know it's time to pour on just a bit more steam and finish off the opponent.  Not let up and become sloppy and complacent.  It's the coaches job to recognize the mood of the team and keep them focused the entire game.

As for our WRs, I agree that they have underachieved, but I have a more nuanced view than I did.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 06:50:09 EDT »

Everyone points toward DeBord’s offense as the issue and it does have its shortcomings, but the issue IMO is the defense. Comparative stats:

2014 Total Off      371
2015 Total Off      418 or +13%

2014 Scoring Off   29
2015 Scoring Off   37 or +28%

2014 Total Def      365
2015 Total Def      414 or -13%

2014 Scoring Def   24
2015 Scoring Def   25, or -4%

I understand that the 37 points per game average will float downward over the coming weeks, but we have only averaged over 30 ppg 4 times since 2000. The defense needs to step up, specifically with the pass defense and more specifically with the pass rush to help out our secondary.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 07:01:17 EDT »

Everyone points toward DeBord’s offense as the issue and it does have its shortcomings, but the issue IMO is the defense. Comparative stats:

2014 Total Off      371
2015 Total Off      418 or +13%

2014 Scoring Off   29
2015 Scoring Off   37 or +28%

2014 Total Def      365
2015 Total Def      414 or -13%

2014 Scoring Def   24
2015 Scoring Def   25, or -4%

I understand that the 37 points per game average will float downward over the coming weeks, but we have only averaged over 30 ppg 4 times since 2000. The defense needs to step up, specifically with the pass defense and more specifically with the pass rush to help out our secondary.

It's a good point. Our defense has issues at LB and we're too slow at safety.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: