VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 03:01:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mizzou players plan boycott?  (Read 53133 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2015, 12:14:40 EST »

Here's my problem with this mentality: We (white people) are supposed to admit (as was demanded of the Mizzou president) that we have privileges that black people don't have. Then so many (not you, just speaking generally) expect us to act apologetic for having these perceived privileges that are exclusive to the white race.

My question is what privileges do I have that any other American -- regardless of their skin color -- doesn't have? If not being born into an inner-city neighborhood where crime runs rampant is a privilege, I'll admit that one, but I would also argue that there are just as few privileges and crime is just as rampant (maybe not violent crime, but certainly drug-related crime) for white people in the redneck ghettos of eastern Kentucky's Appalachian region and even some areas here in East Tennessee.

Besides that, though, where are my privileges? I was born into a poor white family in rural East Tennessee. My father worked in the coal-mining industry when I was a kid. When the mines played out, he was laid off from his job as an errands-runner. We were poor before he was laid off, and we were certainly poor after he was laid off. We relied on food stamps, as much as it shamed him to accept them, but the amount our family received was pretty meager considering there were six mouths to feed. Going to McDonald's was a treat when I was a young kid; I remember going maybe 3-4 times. We certainly didn't go to any restaurant that was higher up the ladder. We ate what we grew in the garden. My mom used to joke that we would have potatoes, beans and cornbread one night, and the next night we would change it up by having beans, cornbread and potatoes. During summer vacation, when we weren't in school, the leftover potatoes from one night's meal would be turned into potato cakes for the next afternoon's lunch. I remember one time when I was hungry and snuck into the kitchen for a piece of bread and got in trouble because it meant there wouldn't be enough bread for the evening meal.

But because America is the land of opportunity, my father recognized that no one is limited to their current limitations. He scraped together enough money to purchase some books on electrical wiring, which he used to teach himself the trade of an electrician. He parlayed that into a job that took him out of the unemployment line and spent long hours away from his family every day, working every overtime hour he could get his hands on so that he could generate favor with his supervisors. He climbed the ladder to eventually become a quality control inspector, a shift supervisor and, eventually, plant manager.

When I was ready to go graduate high school, no one offered me anything. I didn't receive any scholarship money. And even though we had grown up poorer than dirt, my father was by that time working as plant manager and our family income was too great for me to receive financial aid. I began working as a bag boy at a grocery store in high school to save up money for college, then continued to work my way through school after graduation. I would leave school Friday morning, drive home and immediately go to work, work all day Saturday and Sunday, then arrive back on campus late Sunday night just in time to hit the hay for the next morning's 8 a.m. class.

Today I still live in an area where poverty runs rampant. My wife and I live on a modest income; she's an elementary school teacher and I'm a newspaper publisher. We're fortunate for our area, but many of my friends aren't as fortunate. Our unemployment rate here was 23% as recently as four years ago. It was one of the highest in the nation then, and it remains one of the highest in the state today.

Where are my privileges? I've worked my ass off for anything I've accomplished in life, just like my father worked his ass off when I was still a wet-behind-the-ears kid.

Am I privileged because I've never been accosted by a police officer? Well, maybe. But here's the thing: I've been stopped for traffic violations, and I've been respectful. I've even been stopped for weapons violations (unintentional), and I've been respectful. All of these incidents like Ferguson have one thing in common: the cops in question may or may not have acted too aggressively (the Ferguson officer certainly wasn't, but the Charleston cop certainly was), but it all started because the victim broke the law and was being a thug. Every. Single. Time.

Sore subject? Yeah, it kinda is for me. When some people talk about a lack of privilege for minorities in America, what they're really talking about is an excuse for the lack of personal responsibility. If the dude in Ferguson doesn't rob a convenience store, he's alive and well today. Period. If the guy in Charleston doesn't run from a cop, he's alive and well today. The fact of the matter is that sometimes cops act over-aggressively. They should be held criminally liable and punished. But that doesn't excuse lawlessness on the other side. In August, an unarmed white teen was killed by a white cop in Seneca, S.C. The cop acted wrongly. But the teen was involved in drug trafficking and was attempting to flee. The cop should be liable, but the teen bears plenty of responsibility for his own death. That's life, and it has nothing to do with skin color.

I can't imagine what it was like to be a black American in the first half of the 20th Century, especially in the Deep South. White Americans committed atrocities on black Americans for many years through the institution of slavery, and that continued right on through the end of the Civil Rights movement in the '60s before we finally came to our senses. It's sobering to me that the world's greatest nation -- and brightest beacon of freedom -- felt that some people weren't worthy of drinking the same water they drank or sitting in the same restaurant they sat in, simply because of the color of their skin, as recently as 50 years ago. But we are never going to move past that era if we don't shelf this idea that white Americans are supposed to be apologetic for being white and realize that racism is racism is racism, regardless of which shade of skin its cloaked in. I see white racism all around me. I also see black racism all around me.

What I don't see are some sort of privileges that are exclusive to me as a white American.
Amen
Agree 1,000%

BTW, you should look into writing as a profession 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2015, 01:24:00 EST »

I am ridiculously privileged. Period. I did not ask to be born when and where I was.

However,  a few things should be noted, even if the following is not as enlightening as Creek or Volveeta's takes.

1) Around 1999, I was on a spring break mission trip to St. Louis. While doing some work with the homeless, a cop stopped and told us to leave the neighborhood. Our race (white) made us targets. We didn't leave, but the point stands. White skin can be detrimental to your health in many parts of this country.

2) There has never been a better time and place to be black. I've done business in a few African countries, and they're lawless dumps. Colonialism was evil, but I'm not sure it's worse than what it replaced. Slavery is abominable, but the descendants of American slaves are in a far better place than they would be. No one goes back.

3) We live in a fallen world. Everyone reading this has gotten lousy service at a restaurant, been cut off in traffic, been mistreated at work, and had the plummer show up late. That's because we're human, not because we self-identify with "x" race. Everything bad can't be ascribed to race.

My grandfather from Chattanooga said more people will be in Hell because they didn't like the color of a man's skin than anything else. He was born in 1898. That may have been true in his time, but thankfully it's not now.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2015, 05:20:49 EST »

Here is my two cents on the situation, which is worth about a penny.  If you ask me these universities are getting what they deserve. I do not feel sorry for the president who just resigned. They brought it on themselves. So many universities are pushing a liberal agenda. They preach about diversity. Well diversity is more than just about skin color. The same folks who want to push diversity down our throats, forget that diversity includes ideas as well. If my beliefs and ideas are different, they don't want to hear that. Sure racism exists and it is wrong. But nowhere in the constitution does it say that you have the right to not be offended. It is only going to get worse. This is just the start. Where will it end? I see they wanted the statue of Thomas Jefferson removed from the Mizzou campus. It was plastered with sticky notes that read racist, rapist and all kinds of offensive things. But that is okay. Get ready for an even worse PC world friends. The Mizzou president is one of many scapegoats to come.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2015, 06:45:07 EST »

Here's my problem with this mentality: We (white people) are supposed to admit (as was demanded of the Mizzou president) that we have privileges that black people don't have. Then so many (not you, just speaking generally) expect us to act apologetic for having these perceived privileges that are exclusive to the white race.

My question is what privileges do I have that any other American -- regardless of their skin color -- doesn't have? If not being born into an inner-city neighborhood where crime runs rampant is a privilege, I'll admit that one, but I would also argue that there are just as few privileges and crime is just as rampant (maybe not violent crime, but certainly drug-related crime) for white people in the redneck ghettos of eastern Kentucky's Appalachian region and even some areas here in East Tennessee.

Besides that, though, where are my privileges? I was born into a poor white family in rural East Tennessee. My father worked in the coal-mining industry when I was a kid. When the mines played out, he was laid off from his job as an errands-runner. We were poor before he was laid off, and we were certainly poor after he was laid off. We relied on food stamps, as much as it shamed him to accept them, but the amount our family received was pretty meager considering there were six mouths to feed. Going to McDonald's was a treat when I was a young kid; I remember going maybe 3-4 times. We certainly didn't go to any restaurant that was higher up the ladder. We ate what we grew in the garden. My mom used to joke that we would have potatoes, beans and cornbread one night, and the next night we would change it up by having beans, cornbread and potatoes. During summer vacation, when we weren't in school, the leftover potatoes from one night's meal would be turned into potato cakes for the next afternoon's lunch. I remember one time when I was hungry and snuck into the kitchen for a piece of bread and got in trouble because it meant there wouldn't be enough bread for the evening meal.

But because America is the land of opportunity, my father recognized that no one is limited to their current limitations. He scraped together enough money to purchase some books on electrical wiring, which he used to teach himself the trade of an electrician. He parlayed that into a job that took him out of the unemployment line and spent long hours away from his family every day, working every overtime hour he could get his hands on so that he could generate favor with his supervisors. He climbed the ladder to eventually become a quality control inspector, a shift supervisor and, eventually, plant manager.

When I was ready to go graduate high school, no one offered me anything. I didn't receive any scholarship money. And even though we had grown up poorer than dirt, my father was by that time working as plant manager and our family income was too great for me to receive financial aid. I began working as a bag boy at a grocery store in high school to save up money for college, then continued to work my way through school after graduation. I would leave school Friday morning, drive home and immediately go to work, work all day Saturday and Sunday, then arrive back on campus late Sunday night just in time to hit the hay for the next morning's 8 a.m. class.

Today I still live in an area where poverty runs rampant. My wife and I live on a modest income; she's an elementary school teacher and I'm a newspaper publisher. We're fortunate for our area, but many of my friends aren't as fortunate. Our unemployment rate here was 23% as recently as four years ago. It was one of the highest in the nation then, and it remains one of the highest in the state today.

Where are my privileges? I've worked my ass off for anything I've accomplished in life, just like my father worked his ass off when I was still a wet-behind-the-ears kid.

Am I privileged because I've never been accosted by a police officer? Well, maybe. But here's the thing: I've been stopped for traffic violations, and I've been respectful. I've even been stopped for weapons violations (unintentional), and I've been respectful. All of these incidents like Ferguson have one thing in common: the cops in question may or may not have acted too aggressively (the Ferguson officer certainly wasn't, but the Charleston cop certainly was), but it all started because the victim broke the law and was being a thug. Every. Single. Time.

Sore subject? Yeah, it kinda is for me. When some people talk about a lack of privilege for minorities in America, what they're really talking about is an excuse for the lack of personal responsibility. If the dude in Ferguson doesn't rob a convenience store, he's alive and well today. Period. If the guy in Charleston doesn't run from a cop, he's alive and well today. The fact of the matter is that sometimes cops act over-aggressively. They should be held criminally liable and punished. But that doesn't excuse lawlessness on the other side. In August, an unarmed white teen was killed by a white cop in Seneca, S.C. The cop acted wrongly. But the teen was involved in drug trafficking and was attempting to flee. The cop should be liable, but the teen bears plenty of responsibility for his own death. That's life, and it has nothing to do with skin color.

I can't imagine what it was like to be a black American in the first half of the 20th Century, especially in the Deep South. White Americans committed atrocities on black Americans for many years through the institution of slavery, and that continued right on through the end of the Civil Rights movement in the '60s before we finally came to our senses. It's sobering to me that the world's greatest nation -- and brightest beacon of freedom -- felt that some people weren't worthy of drinking the same water they drank or sitting in the same restaurant they sat in, simply because of the color of their skin, as recently as 50 years ago. But we are never going to move past that era if we don't shelf this idea that white Americans are supposed to be apologetic for being white and realize that racism is racism is racism, regardless of which shade of skin its cloaked in. I see white racism all around me. I also see black racism all around me.

What I don't see are some sort of privileges that are exclusive to me as a white American.
Damn Creek, that is some powerful stuff. And correct. Nice post.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2015, 06:53:28 EST »

I agree with you.  I have absolutely no problem with the phrase.  I'm honestly not sure I understand what is going on in this country.  I'm going to be careful here and limit what I say but... being black in America today is not the same as being white.  I know for a fact there is NO way I can possibly understand what it is like to be black and I take no offense in realizing that.  I take no offense in learning that I will never stop learning... and I have no qualm with the suggestion that I have certain privileges that most black folks don't... seems obvious to me.  I just don't get why the phrase is so offensive.  We have a loooooonnnnng way to go in this country.  I have no problem admitting that.
I have a big problem with the blacklivesmatter BS. They obviously don't care when it is black on black inner city crime. The week of the Baltimore riots, I recall 17 blacks were killed by other blacks. Why were they not out looting and rioting over that. So black lives matter only when they are killed by a white. They need to take care of their own house. They kill each other a hundred times more than cops do.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2015, 11:53:47 EST »

The phrase is doubly racist.  Besides the non-inclusive part, it more importantly implies that white people do not think that black lives matter.  It implies white people are racist.  That seems pretty 'racist' to me, in this day and age.  Yeah, there were a lot more racists out there 50 yrs ago, but - come on - that was 50 freaking yrs ago.  I just don't see anywhere near that level of racism around here these days.  If some one (anyone) physically challenges a LEO, they are due for a beatdown - I view that as just a basic fact of life, NOT racism.

I see your point, and it's a valid one.  However, I don't see it as "all white people are racist", but only that certain police mistreat certain blacks.  That's my interpretation, so it doesn't bother me.

Now, if one of those people using the phrase implies that it applies to me, personally, without having any basis for that opinion, I would definitely be offended and that would be racism on the part of the other person.   No question.

Also agree with your point on LEO...stupid to physically assault someone with a gun, who is OFFICIALLY SANCTIONED TO USE LETHAL VIOLENCE!  And the state will ALWAYS err on their side, not the victim's side.  Common sense and judgment do matter.   It's just like saying that as a pedestrian in a cross walk I have the right of way, so there is a semi tractor trailer breaking the law and bearing down on me, but I am going to stand my ground because I am right.  That doesn't work very well....and neither does attacking and scaring an armed person who can LEGALLY KILL YOU.  
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:59:33 EST by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2015, 12:12:37 EST »

The Charleston cop did way more than "act aggressively", he committed a major crime and betrayed his badge.  He's the bad cop that unfortunately makes many people dislike cops.

I take major exception to your final statement (bolded above).  As it turns out, the guy in North Charleston was stopped for a broken tail light.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-is-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html?_r=0

The shooting unfolded after Officer Slager stopped the driver of a Mercedes-Benz with a broken taillight, according to police reports. Mr. Scott ran away, and Officer Slager chased him into a grassy lot that abuts a muffler shop. He fired his Taser, an electronic stun gun, but it did not stop Mr. Scott, according to police reports.

How is having a broken tail light being a thug?  Is it okay that this man got killed for having a broken tail light?  I mean, really dude.  And you wonder why the other side gets exasperated.

The guy did run, but who is to say the cop wasn't being a complete #badword# and scared him?  Given that he shot him in the back and then planted a weapon on him, it's entirely possible!

Having said that, it could happen to a white person do, and probably does.  But does it happen more frequently to blacks?  I honestly don't know, but I would not be at all surprised if it did.

But also on topic, I saw an author on a talk show that wrote a book about a friend of his that was shot and killed by police in Baltimore years before the recent incidents.  He was mistaken for a criminal, and when they approached him he fled and they shot him dead.  He didn't do anything!

The bottom line is that it is very unwise to provoke the police because they can and sometimes do kill people who absolutely don't deserve it.

So should we just accept that or promote accountability?  I think promoting accountability is wise, actually.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2015, 12:43:43 EST »

I have a big problem with the blacklivesmatter BS. They obviously don't care when it is black on black inner city crime. The week of the Baltimore riots, I recall 17 blacks were killed by other blacks. Why were they not out looting and rioting over that. So black lives matter only when they are killed by a white. They need to take care of their own house. They kill each other a hundred times more than cops do.

black on black violence is crime, and they do have a problem with that, but .... it's crime

Their issue, and it's a valid one, is that POLICE ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO COMMIT CRIME.  I would think that last statement is obvious, but with you I never know.

Newsflash...the big event earlier this year in Baltimore that led to riots led to the indictment of 6 police officers.   THREE OF THEM WERE BLACK!!!

Go figure...

I don't think the protestors in Baltimore cared what race the cops were.  They have all been indicted. 

Creek Walker
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2015, 01:44:35 EST »

The Charleston cop did way more than "act aggressively", he committed a major crime and betrayed his badge.  He's the bad cop that unfortunately makes many people dislike cops.

I take major exception to your final statement (bolded above).  As it turns out, the guy in North Charleston was stopped for a broken tail light.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-is-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html?_r=0

The shooting unfolded after Officer Slager stopped the driver of a Mercedes-Benz with a broken taillight, according to police reports. Mr. Scott ran away, and Officer Slager chased him into a grassy lot that abuts a muffler shop. He fired his Taser, an electronic stun gun, but it did not stop Mr. Scott, according to police reports.

How is having a broken tail light being a thug?  Is it okay that this man got killed for having a broken tail light?  I mean, really dude.  And you wonder why the other side gets exasperated.

The guy did run, but who is to say the cop wasn't being a complete #badword# and scared him?  Given that he shot him in the back and then planted a weapon on him, it's entirely possible!

Having said that, it could happen to a white person do, and probably does.  But does it happen more frequently to blacks?  I honestly don't know, but I would not be at all surprised if it did.

But also on topic, I saw an author on a talk show that wrote a book about a friend of his that was shot and killed by police in Baltimore years before the recent incidents.  He was mistaken for a criminal, and when they approached him he fled and they shot him dead.  He didn't do anything!

The bottom line is that it is very unwise to provoke the police because they can and sometimes do kill people who absolutely don't deserve it.

So should we just accept that or promote accountability?  I think promoting accountability is wise, actually.   

I guess you missed the part where Scott ran from the cop? That's called evading, and it's a felony. So, yeah, I'd say the thug tag applies.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2015, 06:49:44 EST »

I guess you missed the part where Scott ran from the cop? That's called evading, and it's a felony. So, yeah, I'd say the thug tag applies.

So running makes you a "thug"?  And shooting the runner in the back is "acting aggressively". 

And you wonder why the other side gets pissed....unreal.   

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 06:54:44 EST by BanditVol » Logged

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2015, 05:32:40 EST »

Just in case anyone does want to read it, the Ferguson transcript is only about 4500 pages long

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2014/11/24/ferguson-assets/grand-jury-testimony.pdf

Creek Walker
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2015, 07:16:09 EST »

So running makes you a "thug"?  And shooting the runner in the back is "acting aggressively". 

And you wonder why the other side gets pissed....unreal.   

Typical of you to try to twist and mangle someone's word. I was using the "acting aggressively" as a blanket statement for all situations involving the use of force by cops and said. I think my post made that clear. My post also pointed out that the Charleston cop deserves the consequences for his actions -- which is to say he belongs in prison.

But as to your first question, absolutely. He was obviously a lawbreaker, or he wouldn't have had reason to run in the first place. But running in and of itself is a serious crime. Lawless felons are, in my book, thugs. You want to coddle them? Hey, that's you. I'll call a spade a spade.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2015, 08:43:53 EST »

Link to Professor Click's bio.  Three words:  Bat. shizzle. Crazy. 

https://communication.missouri.edu/faculty/click

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2015, 10:35:16 EST »

Typical of you to try to twist and mangle someone's word. I was using the "acting aggressively" as a blanket statement for all situations involving the use of force by cops and said. I think my post made that clear. My post also pointed out that the Charleston cop deserves the consequences for his actions -- which is to say he belongs in prison.

But as to your first question, absolutely. He was obviously a lawbreaker, or he wouldn't have had reason to run in the first place. But running in and of itself is a serious crime. Lawless felons are, in my book, thugs. You want to coddle them? Hey, that's you. I'll call a spade a spade.

I'm not sure why the guy ran, but he was stopped for a broken tail light, and no one should have to die for that.  You "law and order over common sense" types wanna stick your noses up the arses of law enforcement and overlook their excesses, but that's not the principle this country was founded on and is downright un-American.  It says in the Constitution that we are not to be subject to "unreasonable search and seizure".  I'm no legal scholar, but shooting an unarmed man in the back while he is fleeing is pretty dam unreasonable.

The cop in question was held accountable, thank God.  But how many other instances have occurred where there was no video available?  Should we, as Americans, sit back and let our "law enforcement" (using the term loosely in this case) officers get away with whatever they want to do?

Like I said, that's un-American.  Travel back in time and move to the Stalin-era USSR or Nazi Germany if you want to take that attitude.  Their police never had to answer to anyone.   

But for me, I prefer to keep law enforcement answerable to the Constitution. 

If in fact, blacks have been subject to such behavior over and over again in certain municipalities, then they have a right to be upset.  If it's become routine in certain jurisdictions to ignore routine police misconduct, I would expect people to become upset.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2015, 10:37:29 EST »

Just curious why you would use that phrase?

that's a very interesting choice of words, to say the least.   

Creek Walker
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2015, 11:35:06 EST »

Just curious why you would use that phrase?

that's a very interesting choice of words, to say the least.   

Because it is a very common cliche. You are the one attempting to infer racial overtones.
Creek Walker
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2015, 11:36:59 EST »

I'm not sure why the guy ran, but he was stopped for a broken tail light, and no one should have to die for that.  You "law and order over common sense" types wanna stick your noses up the arses of law enforcement and overlook their excesses, but that's not the principle this country was founded on and is downright un-American. 

How many times have I said the cop in question should be held accountable? It's all here in black and white. Every time you insinuate that I said anything else you make yourself look foolish.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2015, 02:52:06 EST »

Not a huge fan of Clay Travis, but he nails it here.  There is just no evidence that the whole sordid affair at Mizzou has an credibility, and in fact it is beginning to look downright bogus. 

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/is-the-entire-mizzou-protest-based-on-lies-111115

Go Army - Beat Navy!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2015, 03:34:07 EST »

And yet another example of how this bogus situation has gotten completely out of control.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/outrageous-look-what-mizzou-rotc-members-were-told-to-do-on-veterans-day/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=TPNNPages&utm_content=2015-11-11&utm_campaign=manualpost

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2015, 10:04:34 EST »

How many times have I said the cop in question should be held accountable? It's all here in black and white. Every time you insinuate that I said anything else you make yourself look foolish.

Then why is it so hard to understand that, if a certain group feels they are consistently mistreated and nothing is done, they would get upset?

Whether they are actually mistreated or not is of course an important item, and I don't have the data, but simply based on what I know of our legal system it doesn't seem unreasonable.

"money walks and bs talks", or so goes a commonly stated phrase about our legal system. 

I do think the racial part of it is somewhat misplaced, as IMO it's the poor who get screwed.  Many of them are black, but .... so was OJ. 

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2015, 10:08:13 EST »

Not a huge fan of Clay Travis, but he nails it here.  There is just no evidence that the whole sordid affair at Mizzou has an credibility, and in fact it is beginning to look downright bogus. 

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/is-the-entire-mizzou-protest-based-on-lies-111115
it typically does
Yes there are issues but all too often the SJWs act long before any FACTS are available, even if they did give a damn about facts, which they don't
See Ferguson, we the Duke BS, see ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2015, 10:12:46 EST »

I like the faculty journalism witch who called for heavy
Force to remove a journalist doing his job LEGALLY in a PUBLIC area feeling "aggressed upon" because her ILLEGAL and UNAMERICAN actions were called out.  fizzle HER and her fellow #badword#S who want to trash the Constitution and TRAMPLE other'r rights in the name of (their) "justice"

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Creek Walker
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2015, 03:22:59 EST »

Then why is it so hard to understand that, if a certain group feels they are consistently mistreated and nothing is done, they would get upset?

That's the problem: Things ARE done. The cop in Charleston was arrested and indicted on felony homicide charges, as he should've been. Google the words "cop arrested" and you'll see story after story of cops who were fired, arrested or both because of their misdeeds. But we have race-baiters, and they're white and black alike, who are trying to paint this picture that all cops are bad and that it's all racially motivated. Both of which are nonsense.

The problem, meanwhile, isn't white cops vs. black suspects and racist tendencies. The problem is an all too common mindset in general among a civilian police force that is becoming alarmingly militarized. Are there some racist cops out there? Sure. It would be blind ignorance to suggest there aren't. But is it a prevailing problem? I've seen nothing to suggest that it is. There may very well be a disproportionate number of cases of police brutality that involve black victims than white victims. I haven't seen the numbers. But what I do know is that there are plenty of cases of police brutality that involve white victims. And the fact that these go unreported by the mainstream media tells me that we aren't having a fair and balanced discourse about the issue.

The case from South Carolina a few months ago where the white police officer shot the unarmed white teenager as he attempted to flee in his car was alarming just like the other incident in North Charleston. The only difference was the cop in question didn't attempt to plant evidence on the body of his dead victim. But hardly anyone reported on it. Why? If we're truly interested in stopping police brutality, why aren't we casting a spotlight on all these cases? The answer is because the people who are perpetuating the outrage aren't interested in stopping police brutality. They're interested in attempting to craft an image of racial injustice. And what's the end game? I don't know what their intention is, but I know what the result is going to be if we aren't careful. There's a greater wedge driven between the black and white races right now than at any point since the end of the Civil Rights era. And back then we didn't have social media where folks could communicate with one another in an instant. If we aren't careful, this nation is headed for a full-blown race war.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2015, 03:58:47 EST »

The whining crybully SJW and (only) black lives matter movement has their panties up in a wad because ACTUAL terrorism is taking the spotlight off their terroristic activities
(only) Black Lives Matter and Mizzou tweets fell broadly into two categories of stupid last night:
1) (only) black lives matter: Paris and Mizzou are equivalent: both represent “terrorism.”
2) racial grievance fueled SJWs:  White people are “erasing black lives” by focusing on Paris

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2015, 04:14:16 EST »

The problem isn't only at #Missouri:  http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2015/11/protesters-demand-firing-of-tenured-vanderbilt-law-professor-over-publication-of-op-ed.html

Apparently the protesters are unable to read and comprehend, or the professor committed a micro-aggresion

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: