VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 12:08:58 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm not that high on UT basketball the next few years  (Read 4645 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2015, 05:16:07 EST »

I know barnes has done a lot, but it seems to me like he's a coach in the twilight of his career, and I am not sure he's a rebuild kind of guy. To rebuild you need good recruiting, and so far I have been less than impressed with that part. He is signing a lot of projects (Fulkerson, G Williams) - a lot of not really highly recruited players.  I hope I am wrong but I expect hoops to be pretty weak the next few years.

The good news is that we should be strong in football.

SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 07:16:06 EST »

Hoops has usually sucked when football is good.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 07:46:36 EST »

I think Barnes will do a solid but unspectacular job, and run a clean program. When we replace him in 5-7 years the next guy won't have to deal with the kind of clusterfizzle that Barnes is inheriting.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 08:13:38 EST »

CO what's your definition of solid? I don't expect NCAAT appearances, so I would say less than solid.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 08:23:36 EST »

CO what's your definition of solid? I don't expect NCAAT appearances, so I would say less than solid.

Where has he coached teams that didn't make the NCAA tournament? He won't this year, and maybe not next. But thereafter I'd be surprised if we don't make an annual showing.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 09:01:24 EST »

Where has he coached teams that didn't make the NCAA tournament? He won't this year, and maybe not next. But thereafter I'd be surprised if we don't make an annual showing.

He did very well at TX no doubt, but that was at the prime of his career.

Like I said, he has a great record, but he's recruited blue chip guys to Texas in his many years there, but now he is not recruiting to TX though, and he's getting mostly project guys - not highly rated - to UT. Is that what it will take to rebuild UT? Maybe his strategy is to recruit scorers that will stay 4 years. I'd be great with what he did at Clemson, or even Providence. I'd not highly optimistic though.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 09:16:58 EST »

He did very well at TX no doubt, but that was at the prime of his career.

Like I said, he has a great record, but he's recruited blue chip guys to Texas in his many years there, but now he is not recruiting to TX though, and he's getting mostly project guys - not highly rated - to UT. Is that what it will take to rebuild UT? Maybe his strategy is to recruit scorers that will stay 4 years. I'd be great with what he did at Clemson, or even Providence. I'd not highly optimistic though.

I just don't think there's any reason to believe he suddenly won't be able to recruit. Barnes will bring talent here but we shouldn't be surprised that he's not going gangbusters just yet. Tennessee basketball hasn't just been bad or irrelevant . . . it has had three consecutive really bad black eyes, publicly. It wasn't going to be fixed overnight.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 10:03:04 EST »

Tennessee basketball has pretty much been BAD since I have watched them (82-present), except for the Pearl years, and an occasional year here and there. We're not really a basketball mecca. That's why I don't have my hopes up.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 11:23:51 EST »

I've heard a couple of different semi-insiders make the comment that Barnes and his staff are "changing their recruiting philosophy and are no longer interested in potential one and done types like they made a living on recruiting at Texas, and are going more for the 3 star types.  If that's true, then UT was sold a bill of goods with his hire.  

Honestly, I never really have been able to get on the Barnes bandwagon.  I hope he works out, but I really would have liked to have seen them hire an up and comer more than somebody on the downside of his career.  I see Barnes as just playing out the string until retirement.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 11:26:42 EST »

He has to play the hand dealt. I am cautiously optimistic for middle of the pack teams for now. What is going on with Kasongo? We need him this year.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 11:31:01 EST »

I've heard a couple of different semi-insiders make the comment that Barnes and his staff are "changing their recruiting philosophy and are no longer interested in potential one and done types like they made a living on recruiting at Texas, and are going more for the 3 star types.  If that's true, then UT was sold a bill of goods with his hire. 

Honestly, I never really have been able to get on the Barnes bandwagon.  I hope he works out, but I really would have liked to have seen them hire an up and comer more than somebody on the downside of his career.  I see Barnes as just playing out the string until retirement. 
I've seen that said too. Program cannot catch a break. Pitiful. I am disappointed with recent signees but was pleased with Alexander, Kasongo, Turner. I also note Vandy is ranked #18. I doubt they have loaded up on 5 stars. So I remain hopeful.

SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 11:37:16 EST »

After Don Devoe, Wade Houston, Kevin O'Neill, Buzz Peterson, Jerry Green, Cuonzo Martin, and Donnie Tyndall I don't know why I would have any faith though lol

Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 12:43:03 EST »

I've heard a couple of different semi-insiders make the comment that Barnes and his staff are "changing their recruiting philosophy and are no longer interested in potential one and done types like they made a living on recruiting at Texas, and are going more for the 3 star types.  If that's true, then UT was sold a bill of goods with his hire.  

Honestly, I never really have been able to get on the Barnes bandwagon.  I hope he works out, but I really would have liked to have seen them hire an up and comer more than somebody on the downside of his career.  I see Barnes as just playing out the string until retirement.  

I would've much preferred to have seen Hart make a 45 minute drive south on 75 to get his coach. I'll support Barnes, but I'm very much in a wait and see mode.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 12:47:35 EST »

If Barnes can beat UK once this season I will be on his bandwagon and give him a mulligan for the losses. All that we may have.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: