VTTW Board Index
April 23, 2024, 12:05:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apparently we are not the only defense that can't get Mayfield on the ground  (Read 6104 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2015, 05:38:27 EST »

I think I read War & Peace while he was waiting to throw that TD pass

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 05:39:21 EST »

And a lineman downfield that would have been called on us.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 05:40:26 EST »

And a lineman downfield that would have been called on us.
True that

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 03:04:53 EST »

So the four single digit losses that UT had this year consists of..

1.UF who won the SEC East
2.Bama who if they haven't already,will wrap up the SEC West
3.Oklahoma who just beat up number 6 Baylor at Baylor
4.Arky who just smacked down LSU at LSU..

Not too bad after all   
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 03:16:31 EST by crockettman » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 03:24:50 EST »

So the four single digit losses that UT had this year consists of..

1.UF who won the SEC East
2.Bama who if they haven't already,will wrap up the SEC West
3.Oklahoma who just beat up number 6 Baylor at Baylor
4.Arky who just smacked down LSU at LSU..

Not too bad after all   

All true, but I'm not going to fall into that trap.  We were the better team in at least two of those games, and what has transpired since has not change my mind on that.  To his credit, Butch seems to have learned from his early-season mistakes, so it's forgiven (by me, anyway).  But NOT forgotten. 

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 03:30:59 EST »

All true, but I'm not going to fall into that trap.  We were the better team in at least two of those games, and what has transpired since has not change my mind on that.  To his credit, Butch seems to have learned from his early-season mistakes, so it's forgiven (by me, anyway).  But NOT forgotten. 

I have zero confidence that the Vols will win either of the last two games.  I'll be pleasantly surprised if they win one of them.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 04:18:54 EST »

I have zero confidence that the Vols will win either of the last two games.  I'll be pleasantly surprised if they win one of them.
I disagree
I have not attended the last two games and you have seen the results
I attended the previous three games and you saw those results
Therefore I am confident

MO:
Defense:
We match up well.
We will stack to prevent the run and force the FR QB to beat us (similar to the bamer defensive scheme), which don't think he can.  Our DL/LB are better than BYU's and they were getting after him on occasion.  Their only real offensive weapon is the RB.  Bottle him up and they don't mover the ball.

Offense:
Depends on which Dobbs shows up.  If he can move then we should be able to move the ball on them.  They lost a good lineman last night.
If Dobbs has time and is reasonably accurate then our receivers should be able to get open as their secondary is not that good.  With Pearson and Smith  performing well, Wolf, Johnson and possibly Williams back we should have weapons.
We essentially gave Hurd the game off yesterday and he should be fresh.
17-10 VOLS

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 05:04:17 EST »

I disagree
I have not attended the last two games and you have seen the results
I attended the previous three games and you saw those results
Therefore I am confident

MO:
Defense:
We match up well.
We will stack to prevent the run and force the FR QB to beat us (similar to the bamer defensive scheme), which don't think he can.  Our DL/LB are better than BYU's and they were getting after him on occasion.  Their only real offensive weapon is the RB.  Bottle him up and they don't mover the ball.

Offense:
Depends on which Dobbs shows up.  If he can move then we should be able to move the ball on them.  They lost a good lineman last night.
If Dobbs has time and is reasonably accurate then our receivers should be able to get open as their secondary is not that good.  With Pearson and Smith  performing well, Wolf, Johnson and possibly Williams back we should have weapons.
We essentially gave Hurd the game off yesterday and he should be fresh.
17-10 VOLS

Big ifs.  I've seen nothing this season that gives me any confidence.  Heaven forbid they get an early lead!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 05:11:22 EST »

Big ifs.  I've seen nothing this season that gives me any confidence.  Heaven forbid they get an early lead!
So, we are to ignore the good things done (moving the ball, good defense in the losses and in the UGA, bamer, and KY games?
I think yesterday was the result of a) an easy opponent and b) the team being just a bit weary, banged up and c) the staff's insistence on playing Crowder (he must be a hell of a practice player)

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 05:45:50 EST »

So, we are to ignore the good things done (moving the ball, good defense in the losses and in the UGA, bamer, and KY games?
I think yesterday was the result of a) an easy opponent and b) the team being just a bit weary, banged up and c) the staff's insistence on playing Crowder (he must be a hell of a practice player)

Of course not.  But, this team consistently plays to the level of the competition, and plays very poorly with a lead.  They easily could have been 9-1 right now, but also easily could have been 4-6.  I have seen nothing to indicate they will break the established patterns over the next two games.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 05:31:39 EST »

we can win both games if we let Dobbs run the ball 10-15 times and generally let him loose.

If we try to play Dobbs like we did vs N Texas, Arkansas, and the second half of the SCe game, both games will be dogfights and we could lose both
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 01:46:17 EST »

schizophrenic ....I don't understand how we can play so well against the likes of OU, Bama and Ga and struggle against SC and one of the worst teams in the nation N Texas (24 points was a struggle and they moved the ball up and down the field almost at will).    Our offense is anemic against some terrible defenses recently which doesn't inspire me to anticipate great performances for these last 2 games. Dobbs is not improved at all as a passer and he's seemed timid running the ball the past 2 games and if he's throwing poorly (pray no int's) and not running effectively we are toast.   
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 10:55:52 EST »

schizophrenic ....I don't understand how we can play so well against the likes of OU, Bama and Ga and struggle against SC and one of the worst teams in the nation N Texas (24 points was a struggle and they moved the ball up and down the field almost at will).    Our offense is anemic against some terrible defenses recently which doesn't inspire me to anticipate great performances for these last 2 games. Dobbs is not improved at all as a passer and he's seemed timid running the ball the past 2 games and if he's throwing poorly (pray no int's) and not running effectively we are toast.   

Not just to pick on you VOLMAN because I've seen other posts on the subject as well, but I thought the D played outstanding. Pitched a shutout and held NTU to 199 yards (according to ESPN stats). Other stats, NTU had 2.9 yards per rush (though one of their backs did gain 44 yards on only 4 carries), were 2-12 on third downs 0-2 on fourth and didn't even  get close enough to attempt a field goal, their deepest penetration was the UT 45 if I read the play-by-play chart right. OK we may have missed some tackles and blew a few assignments hear and there, and the competition wasn't the best in the world, but I'll take a defensive effort like that every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I won't argue with yours and others assessment of the offense.
JDBVOL
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 06:42:14 EST »

My biggest concerns:

1. Senior Night
2. CGP's last home game

I believe Miz will get a lead and hold it to the half, we will make adjustments and they will not be as wired as they were at the start and we break them down and win a close one in the 4th qtr.  that said it seems to be the story of this year.  in every game and comes down to a few players making a few plays.

both our last two games are going to be challenges and I honestly believe it will take full 4 qtrs to decide them both.  hope it is KY like but feel like it will be more UGA/FL like.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 04:45:50 EST »

Color me pleasantly surprised; the Vols got an early lead and held onto it.    I'll be in Neyland Stadium again next week cheering them on, and my wife and younger kids should be there.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 06:07:22 EST »

Color me pleasantly surprised; the Vols got an early lead and held onto it.    I'll be in Neyland Stadium again next week cheering them on, and my wife and younger kids should be there.
TRO family tailgate?

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 06:20:15 EST »

TRO family tailgate?

As far as I know, yes!   Crossing my fingers that the weather stays dry, but the forecast isn't giving me warm fuzzies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: