VTTW Board Index
April 23, 2024, 07:05:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our university has become a laughingstock  (Read 13411 times)
Creek Walker
« on: December 04, 2015, 02:55:24 EST »

Who in the hell is over this Office of Diversity & Inclusion anyway? It's like they sit around thinking up the most boneheaded stunts they can pull.

If it leads to Cheek's resignation, as some state lawmakers are now calling for, that'll be good...but I'll not hold my breath.
VOLveeta
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 03:22:14 EST »

Could we please leave politics to the political board?  Please?
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 03:23:18 EST »

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local-news/duncan-slams-uts-holiday-party-advisory-as-extremist_17564772

I know of 2 huge UT donors that have given the university hell over this....
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 09:10:52 EST »

The diversity women is...outta control!

Im tellin ya

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 04:32:31 EST »

I was on board with criticizing that gender-neutral pronoun email from months ago. That was silly.

But there's not a thing wrong with this message and it's an important reminder that UT is a state entity and must act accordingly when it comes to the promotion and preference of religion. Legislators calling for Cheek's resignation are wasting the time and money of the state and the institution, which now has to spend actual man-hours responding to this stupidity. Hours that it could spend doing things like, you know, running a university.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 04:55:25 EST »

I was on board with criticizing that gender-neutral pronoun email from months ago. That was silly.

But there's not a thing wrong with this message and it's an important reminder that UT is a state entity and must act accordingly when it comes to the promotion and preference of religion. Legislators calling for Cheek's resignation are wasting the time and money of the state and the institution, which now has to spend actual man-hours responding to this stupidity. Hours that it could spend doing things like, you know, running a university.

It's over the top and silly and unecessary.  IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
10EC
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 05:46:18 EST »

The stupidity is in trying to push an agenda on something that has not caused anyone any harm since 1796....  What a freaking waste of time.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 06:10:42 EST »

Is having a Christmas party on the state dime really equal to the "establishment of a religion" ???  really???  It is absurd.  It would not surprise me if you could trace this whole thing back to hatred of religion/hatred of Christianity. 

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 07:08:49 EST »

Is having a Christmas party on the state dime really equal to the "establishment of a religion" ???  really???  It is absurd.  It would not surprise me if you could trace this whole thing back to hatred of religion/hatred of Christianity. 
Correct
It is freedom OF religion, not freedom from religion

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 02:57:56 EST »

Complete and utter nonsense. Remember that some of the folks the Office Of Diversity is lecturing is STUDENTS. Don't lose sight of that fact. They're lecturing students not to have "Christmas" parties or allow cultural/religious symbolism to infiltrate their parties — never mind the fact that the VAST majority of these parties don't have a bit of religious symbolism or references to Christianity, and many if not most of those in attendance at the parties are not practicing Christians. Not one damn time has ANY judge or ANY court said that a Christmas party is violating the constitution. And don't even give me the junk about state legislators wasting the university's resources to defend itself. Are you aware of how many MILLIONS of dollars our university wastes on staff to sit around and think up this nonsense? As for running a university, five million a year for foolishness like this is really a sign of good stewardship of taxpayer dollars and student tuition fees? Not in the real world.

Are legislators really wasting their time? This current General Assembly might just be dumb enough to actually cut UT's funding. And, frankly, part of me wishes it would. When it happened once, it could be chalked up to a bit of silliness that you roll your eyes at, admonish, and move on. When it happens twice, especially after the chancellor gave state lawmakers his assurance that it wouldn't happen again, it's time for talk to stop and action to start. Regardless of how much Christianity-hating atheists who make up a fringe in American politics applaud things like this, UT is the subject of scorn nationwide because of nonsensical stunts like this.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 03:03:11 EST by Creek Walker » Logged
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 07:14:26 EST »

Maybe Cheek took Ron Ramsey seriously?

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2015/12/08/ut-removes-inclusive-holiday-post/76973454/?hootPostID=3ca8972a2e28b5abc8aa078627604e36&from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 02:23:50 EST »

Complete and utter nonsense. Remember that some of the folks the Office Of Diversity is lecturing is STUDENTS. Don't lose sight of that fact. They're lecturing students not to have "Christmas" parties or allow cultural/religious symbolism to infiltrate their parties — never mind the fact that the VAST majority of these parties don't have a bit of religious symbolism or references to Christianity, and many if not most of those in attendance at the parties are not practicing Christians. Not one damn time has ANY judge or ANY court said that a Christmas party is violating the constitution. And don't even give me the junk about state legislators wasting the university's resources to defend itself. Are you aware of how many MILLIONS of dollars our university wastes on staff to sit around and think up this nonsense? As for running a university, five million a year for foolishness like this is really a sign of good stewardship of taxpayer dollars and student tuition fees? Not in the real world.

Are legislators really wasting their time? This current General Assembly might just be dumb enough to actually cut UT's funding. And, frankly, part of me wishes it would. When it happened once, it could be chalked up to a bit of silliness that you roll your eyes at, admonish, and move on. When it happens twice, especially after the chancellor gave state lawmakers his assurance that it wouldn't happen again, it's time for talk to stop and action to start. Regardless of how much Christianity-hating atheists who make up a fringe in American politics applaud things like this, UT is the subject of scorn nationwide because of nonsensical stunts like this.

I only want to respond to one bit of this because you and I will never agree on the rest.

They're lecturing students not to have "Christmas" parties or allow cultural/religious symbolism to infiltrate their parties

This message was targeted, to my knowledge, to university units and entities-- departments, offices, colleges, and sponsored student groups. I don't think it in any way intended to tell students how to run private parties.

Most of the departments in my college put on a party in December and it is important that they are not "Christmas" parties. The message was worded awkwardly in places but I stand by a reminder that we are not promoting one religious celebration or another at this time of year.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 07:32:59 EDT »

Most of you have probably seen this. I actually got an email on it from the chancellor a month ago. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2016/05/20/university-tennessee-diversity-funding-bill-allowed-become-law/84650208/

So I guess it was a bit too much for the legislature.  Not sure I like them closing the office, but it was being pretty silly. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 07:34:52 EDT »

Bans UT from spending state funds "to promote the use of gender-neutral pronouns, to promote or inhibit the celebration of religious holidays, or to fund or support Sex Week," most of which had already occurred

From the above...ah, what the heck. Given the reign of PC terror on most American campuses, I am going to go ahead and say this is funny.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: