VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 11:26:27 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few thoughts on our class  (Read 9107 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2016, 11:29:13 EST »

-Anyone who thought this class would measure up to our last two was fooling themselves.  As has repeatedly been mentioned, we didn't have 30+ scholarships to give this year.  We also didn't have very much early playing time to sell, compared to the past two years.  Other than Warrior and the jucos, I don't see anyone being able to contribute right away in anything other than special teams.  Also, this was a particularly weak year in-state, even by Tennessee standards. 

-The good news is that none of those obstacles will be in place next year.  Besides all the seniors, we figure to at least lose Hurd, Kamara, and Barnett early.  Maybe some others too if they have strong seasons.  There should be plenty of room and plenty of opportunity for early playing time.  And it's a good thing, too, because the in-state class is set to bounce back in a big way.  Look for anywhere from 4-7 TN guys to show up on top 100 lists, with lots of depth behind them.  We should hopefully get back to our top-5 ways next year.  Heck, we might even compete for the #2 class (which is the best anyone can hope for as long as Saban is doing...whatever he does at bammer).

-But even with this being a "down" year, it's still a consensus top 15 class, and it's still better than Dooley's best class.  So there's that.

-I would guess that if you pinned Butch down, he'd tell you that he regrets reaching for so many "project" players so early.  As great as today's close was, it probably could've been even better if we had more open slots.  It was kind of a sinking feeling seeing all these big names showing interest late and knowing we couldn't take most of them.  Be more selective early in the process, Coach.  Especially when your numbers are limited.  Lesson learned, hopefully.

-I haven't taken a good look at our roster, but I'm guessing we'll have to go hard after LBs, RBs, and DL next year, right?

Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 02:10:29 EST »

Good summary.  I only take exception with this.

I would guess that if you pinned Butch down, he'd tell you that he regrets reaching for so many "project" players so early.  As great as today's close was, it probably could've been even better if we had more open slots.  It was kind of a sinking feeling seeing all these big names showing interest late and knowing we couldn't take most of them.  Be more selective early in the process, Coach.  Especially when your numbers are limited.  Lesson learned, hopefully.

A bird in the hand is worth one in the bush.  How many of these projects should we have foregone in hopes of giving a slot to a late arriving big name?  What if we did that and we lost a bunch of them like the Crocs did?  Would Butch have learned a lesson from that?  No offense, but I'm going to trust Butch with these kind of decisions until he's shown me that he is not worthy of that trust.  I'm not doubting him from the start.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 02:38:16 EST »

Good summary.  I only take exception with this.

I would guess that if you pinned Butch down, he'd tell you that he regrets reaching for so many "project" players so early.  As great as today's close was, it probably could've been even better if we had more open slots.  It was kind of a sinking feeling seeing all these big names showing interest late and knowing we couldn't take most of them.  Be more selective early in the process, Coach.  Especially when your numbers are limited.  Lesson learned, hopefully.

A bird in the hand is worth one in the bush.  How many of these projects should we have foregone in hopes of giving a slot to a late arriving big name?  What if we did that and we lost a bunch of them like the Crocs did?  Would Butch have learned a lesson from that?  No offense, but I'm going to trust Butch with these kind of decisions until he's shown me that he is not worthy of that trust.  I'm not doubting him from the start.

Well to be clear, I'm not mad.  As I re-read my original post, it does come off as a bit negative, and that was not my intent.  I'm very satisfied with this class.  I think we filled our needs very well given the limitations we had this year.  And we might have as many as a half-dozen signees who could turn into bonafide superstars. 

Maybe I'm still in that frustrated mindset of the Dooley era, when we would recruit scared and take second and third tier prospects because we didn't want to get beaten out by the "big boys".  I know that's not what's happening right now, but that's what I think of when I seem them take a reach, especially early.  I think Butch and staff are great recruiters, and I think they're selling themselves short when they do that. 

I'd like to see them reach the point where they're able to hold off the "projects" until the end, to fill out the class when they've missed on their main targets.  One of our commits today fits that descrption, and yet I think he'll be a big contributor for us in a couple years (I'm not naming any names, but I'm sure you know who I'm talking about).

At any rate, I'm looking forward to getting started on the 2017 class.  I think it's going to be a great one.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 02:54:21 EST »

Also, correct me if I'm wrong- but through 4 classes now, I don't think Butch has lost a single commit on signing day.  In fact, I think most of the commits he HAS lost came earlier in the process, and most were asked to look around.  I know we go into this day every year hoping we can hold on to all of our guys, but Butch's history says that most of these guys, once they commit, stay committed.  

For example, when we picked up Guarantano's commitment last spring, coming off a year when we had already signed THREE highly rated QBs, I thought that we would be lucky to hold on to him.  I kept waiting for OSU and UF, among others, to make a run at him.  But he stayed solid and never even looked around.  

It's pretty refreshing to not have to worry about losing guys at the last minute (but we all worry about it anyway ).

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 03:22:45 EST »

Only thing I would have liked is a couple of High School D linemen and a power RB. We don't have anyone in Hurd's mold and he'll be gone after next season most likely. Got to have some D linemen next class and probably a couple of JUCOs.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 04:03:50 EST »

Only thing I would have liked is a couple of High School D linemen and a power RB. We don't have anyone in Hurd's mold and he'll be gone after next season most likely. Got to have some D linemen next class and probably a couple of JUCOs.

They tried to get in on several power RBs, but most of the good ones committed elsewhere early on and never waivered.  The good news is that there are a couple in TN for 2017 will fit the bill.  And Fils-Aime looks like a Kamara clone, so at least they have that half of the equation.

On the DL, they're good to go at DE.  Even after they lose Vereen and Barnett, they'll still have Kongbo (he has 3 years of eligibilty left, BTW), Phillips, Taylor, Butcher, etc.  They probably don't need more than 1-2 DE in this next class.  DT is a different story.  Beyond Mac and Tuttle (and maybe Alexis Johnson), there doesn't appear to be much quality depth after 2016.  Whiffing on Derrick Brown hurt.  We'll need to load up on the interior in this next class. 

On the OL, it looks like we can finally afford to be selctive.  We only lose Wiesman and Blair after this year.  Today we signed three undersized tackles with great potential who will all have the luxury of redshirting this next year.  This past season they redshirted Richmond and Boulware.  2015 signee Zac Stewart will also be joining the team after taking the year off following the death of his mother.  This OL, finally, is talented, deep, and experienced- and yet they're still young.  The current group should remain largely intact for the next couple years.  I wouldn't sign more than 1-2 in 2017, and the ones they do sign had better be really, really good.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 04:39:33 EST »

I would agree that someone like Brown and a Hurd sized RB would have been great but the athleticism and speed of this class is an overall increase from previous classes.  If nothing else Special Teams will get better.  If they can be coached up the skill players can really help. 

I also think we may have our QB for 2017 and beyond.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 04:41:48 EST »

I would agree that someone like Brown and a Hurd sized RB would have been great but the athleticism and speed of this class is an overall increase from previous classes.  If nothing else Special Teams will get better.  If they can be coached up the skill players can really help. 

I also think we may have our QB for 2017 and beyond.
We needed guys with weird names, and we got them....

11B4PJ3F7
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 04:46:54 EST »

We needed guys with weird names, and we got them....
We even got one with Go Big Orange in his name

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 04:09:19 EST »

The way I see it, the only thing we really missed out on is a bigger running back, but next year is a great year for running backs, and especially in state. 

Otherwise, I thought Butch and Staff put together a good group of individuals who will be able to contribute in critical, just critical, areas of need. 

I do expect next year's class to be another top 5-7 class, however.

Go Army - Beat Navy!
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 07:01:07 EST »

We even got one with Go Big Orange in his name
LOL, true indeed 

11B4PJ3F7
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 04:33:12 EST »

I do expect next year's class to be another top 5-7 class, however.

I don't because we'll still likely be in a numbers crunch next year. There are only 12 seniors and even accounting for early entries and defections it's hard to see us signing a full class. I think we'll be signing 20-22 again and with those numbers it would take a really phenomenal group to get it into the top 5-7 discussion.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 09:14:20 EST »

They tried to get in on several power RBs, but most of the good ones committed elsewhere early on and never waivered.  The good news is that there are a couple in TN for 2017 will fit the bill.  And Fils-Aime looks like a Kamara clone, so at least they have that half of the equation.

On the DL, they're good to go at DE.  Even after they lose Vereen and Barnett, they'll still have Kongbo (he has 3 years of eligibilty left, BTW), Phillips, Taylor, Butcher, etc.  They probably don't need more than 1-2 DE in this next class.  DT is a different story.  Beyond Mac and Tuttle (and maybe Alexis Johnson), there doesn't appear to be much quality depth after 2016.  Whiffing on Derrick Brown hurt.  We'll need to load up on the interior in this next class.  

On the OL, it looks like we can finally afford to be selctive.  We only lose Wiesman and Blair after this year.  Today we signed three undersized tackles with great potential who will all have the luxury of redshirting this next year.  This past season they redshirted Richmond and Boulware.  2015 signee Zac Stewart will also be joining the team after taking the year off following the death of his mother.  This OL, finally, is talented, deep, and experienced- and yet they're still young.  The current group should remain largely intact for the next couple years.  I wouldn't sign more than 1-2 in 2017, and the ones they do sign had better be really, really good.
I think Zac Stewart gave up football.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 09:33:44 EST »

I think Zac Stewart gave up football.

No, he has not

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 09:41:58 EST »

No, he has not

That is correct. Zach said last night he will be enrolled and joining the team for fall camp.
SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 10:08:46 EST »

Terrific news

RON
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 10:13:38 EST »

2 backs in Tennessee could fit UT's needs. Very impressed with Ty Chandler and Cordarian Richardson. Also Chase Hayden could grow into a RB.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 10:17:27 EST »

I don't because we'll still likely be in a numbers crunch next year. There are only 12 seniors and even accounting for early entries and defections it's hard to see us signing a full class. I think we'll be signing 20-22 again and with those numbers it would take a really phenomenal group to get it into the top 5-7 discussion.

I expect several current scholarship players to "move on" after the spring - guys who haven't panned out for whatever reason.  I'd be surprised if we don't have a full 25 to work with in the 2017 signing class. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
dansavol1
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 10:41:43 EST »

I generally agree with your comments, but there is one comment that bothers me And I've heard it numerous times.  It seems that our signing class was not ranked higher is because we did not sign 25 or 30 players.  I believe we signed 21, which is the same number that bummer, Uga, a and some other sec teams.

Don't get me wrong, because I'm thrilled with this class and believe bUTch got the players to fill the needs and to address need for speed. But it seems our ranking is based more on the average rating of the players rather than the number of players.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 10:56:13 EST »

I generally agree with your comments, but there is one comment that bothers me And I've heard it numerous times.  It seems that our signing class was not ranked higher is because we did not sign 25 or 30 players.  I believe we signed 21, which is the same number that bummer, Uga, a and some other sec teams.

Don't get me wrong, because I'm thrilled with this class and believe bUTch got the players to fill the needs and to address need for speed. But it seems our ranking is based more on the average rating of the players rather than the number of players.

Bammer signed 24 (unlike everyone else in America, they never, ever, EVER struggle with recruiting numbers, and sign 24-30 every single year.  Hooray for roster management).  UGA and AU both signed 21 like us, and their quality was slightly better, too.  But for example, UF, who signed 25, was ranked one spot higher than us, even though their average star rating was lower (3.52 to 3.36 according to Rivals).  That's where you see quantity come into play.

dansavol1
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 11:02:53 EST »

You gotta wonder how bammer pulling collies from 2/3 year players, or players that suddenly develop physical problems and can no longer play.  How does that not affect their academic rating
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 03:07:49 EST »

For the most part, we were not significantly lower than teams with similar numbers.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 04:02:15 EST »

You gotta wonder how bammer pulling collies from 2/3 year players, or players that suddenly develop physical problems and can no longer play.  How does that not affect their academic rating

There are other schollys that they can be moved to that allow them to earn their degrees, but not be eligible to play any longer.  As long as those students graduate they count favorably. 

UT has the same opportunities available. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: