VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 05:12:15 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My thoughts on next season  (Read 3511 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2016, 05:22:43 EST »

I've been thinking about this since November, actually, but didn't want to post until after the season was over.  My minimum expectation is 10-2.  Here's how I think it breaks down.

Clear Underdog - Bammer - but still should be very competitive and our best chance at a win since 2008 or 2007

Slight Underdog - Uga - depends on how well Kirby Smart works out. Hoping for a Muschamp and not McIllwain year.

Favorite but chance of upset (in order of that possibility)

Texas A&M - yes they lost both QBs, but always good on offense under Sumlin and also as unpredictable as any team in the SEC.  We play them on the road sandwiched between a road game at Uga and bammer.  Will their D continue to improve under Chavis?  I think they will score some points, but their D still won't be able to stop us and we win comfortably, but this game worries me.

Virginia Tech - outside chance of upset IMO, but again, new coach and they have plenty of talent.  If new coach clicks they could win, but I don't expect it.

Florida - hands down, we should beat them.  But...it's Florida, nuff said.   

South Carolina - Yes, we have beaten them three years in a row, but just barely and it's in Columbia.  The "ready to retire" SOS was not nearly as good and the new coach might give them a spark.  Then again, the new coach is Muschamp. As much as I want to just laugh it off, we have yet to beat the POS, so I am going to include SC in this group based mostly on the fact that although we have won three in a row, they have all been extremely close.

Games we should win (again in order of difficulty)

Mizzou - they top this list primarily because they managed to beat us three years in a row.  But Pinkel was the main reason, and I am not impressed with his replacement.  Still, it's a team that has the history of beating us and their new QB might be clicking when they play us, so they are definitely IMO the "best of the rest)

Kentucky - they just lost their QB, which was most of their offense, but they at least try to play us tough.

Vandy - see Kentucky.  Although we dominated both, Vandy hung with us most of the first half and the game is in Nashville.  Otherwise they would be below...

Ohio - One of the better midmajors and not someone we should take for granted. Worst case is probably they hang with us a couple quarters.

Appy State - See Ohio.  Might be better than Ohio but I put them in the same category.

Tennesse Tech - A scrimmage which gives the younger kids a chance to play.

Final note...not sure Kentucky and Vandy are really better than Ohio or Appy State, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter because a loss to any of them would be a huge upset.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:36:54 EST by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 05:37:33 EST »

Interesting side note...on my first pass I forgot to include Florida.

Which speaks volumes to how worried I am about that game.  I'm not.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 06:26:16 EST »

Despite the game being in Athens, I don't think there's any reason for this team to be an underdog against Georgia. They're going to be breaking in a new coach and that usually doesn't bode well. In fact, if UGA with a first year coach beats a year four Butch Jones team that has plenty of talent and experience, I'm going to be sorely disappointed.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 06:34:20 EST »

Despite the game being in Athens, I don't think there's any reason for this team to be an underdog against Georgia. They're going to be breaking in a new coach and that usually doesn't bode well. In fact, if UGA with a first year coach beats a year four Butch Jones team that has plenty of talent and experience, I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

I'm right there with you on Georgia.  They area program that always seems to find a way to underachieve.  Barring something just crazy happening, there is no reason why UT shouldn't go in there with the team it should have and beat UGA with the team it should have.  No reason at all. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 06:46:13 EST »

New coach or not, it's unwise to overlook UGA.  As well as we've recruited lately, they've arguably recruited even better.  They're almost certainly going to be improved at QB.  Chubb is coming back- it remains to be seen if he's back to his 2014 form.  The game is in Athens.  And for whatever reason, we always seemed to match up well with Richt-coach teams, even when we were at an overwhelming talent disadvantage.  And he's gone now, so that's another unknown. 

Right now, nine months out, I'd say we're slight favorites in that game.  But that could change drastically (in either direction) by kickoff.  I just have an uneasy feeling about this game.  Too many unknowns.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 07:18:52 EST »

Also, regarding UGA: Our first order of business in that game should be to send in some walkon DT and have him take a dive at #54's knees. 

Yeah, I said it.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 07:23:39 EST »

Also, regarding UGA: Our first order of business in that game should be to send in some walkon DT and have him take a dive at #54's knees. 

Yeah, I said it.
I have no idea what you are referring to but I suspect that said individual is in for an interesting game ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 07:31:06 EST »

New coach or not, it's unwise to overlook UGA.  As well as we've recruited lately, they've arguably recruited even better.  They're almost certainly going to be improved at QB.  Chubb is coming back- it remains to be seen if he's back to his 2014 form.  The game is in Athens.  And for whatever reason, we always seemed to match up well with Richt-coach teams, even when we were at an overwhelming talent disadvantage.  And he's gone now, so that's another unknown. 

Right now, nine months out, I'd say we're slight favorites in that game.  But that could change drastically (in either direction) by kickoff.  I just have an uneasy feeling about this game.  Too many unknowns.

Not overlooking them at all.  I simply believe that given personnel and experience that we should be a better football team than UGA in the fall.  Barring some major happenings there are no excuses for not going down there and winning. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 01:36:24 EST »

Georgia is a close call either way.  By the time the game rolls around, we'll have a better idea of how they are doing under Smart.

Everyone liked to say Richt constantly underacheived at uga.  If that's as true as some seem to think, Smart may well go undefeated and win the MNC.

Like I said it's close either way and hopefully Smart will be more like Muschamp and less like McIllwain (I should be more specific...McIllwain as a first year coach only cause I think he's in for a rude awakening this seasn.   )

Hog Mike
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 05:20:36 EST »

absolutely no reason for UT to not win the East in 2016

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 11:53:42 EST »

absolutely no reason for UT to not win the East in 2016

I completely agree, but that may well be with a divisional record of 5-1 (and an SEC record of 6-2).

I still expect 10-2, but 11-1 or even better is, at long last, realistic even if not probable.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: