VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 03:15:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm no Cam Newton fan by any means...  (Read 6266 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2016, 08:48:03 EST »

...but I kinda feel sorry for him today.  He's just getting HAMMERED on his postgame presser (or lack thereof). 

I understand that he danced and talked and used the media to call attention to himself all year when things were going well.  And if you're going to invite their scrutiny like that during the good times, you have to be man enough to handle them when things aren't so good.  It's a lesson he'll have to learn.

But I'm off today, and I've had ESPN on for most of the day.  They're making Newton into a bigger story than even Manning or Von Miller. 

Athletes and coaches get short with the media all the time.  Lebron James, Tiger Woods, Serena Williams, Bill Belicek, and Gregg Popovich to name a few.  And while it may be a story for a few hours or even the next day, after that it's usually forgotten.  I don't think that's going to be the case this time.  This almost looks like it's going to be the story of the offseason.

Lest we forget, Cam isn't even the worst-behaving NFL QB of the past WEEK- that honor would go the douchebag up in Cleveland.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 09:59:38 EST »

agree. Cam's immature. We get it. Let it go.

Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 10:20:05 EST »

I don't feel sorry for him. I get that defeat is tough. Defeat in the Super Bowl (especially when you were considered a virtual lock to win it) is even tougher. To have to go face reporters' sometimes silly questions just minutes later? Yeah, I get it. If Cam were an ordinary player, no one would say much. But he's no ordinary player. He relishes the attention when he's winning...invites it; encourages it. So it should be no surprise to him or anyone else that the attention is being heaped on him in defeat. (Or, I guess another way to say it, if he wasn't such a pompous ass when he is doing well, people would be quicker to excuse his juvenile temper tantrums when he isn't doing well.) I don't buy the immature part as an excuse. He's 26. He's a franchise player. It's time for him to act like it.

Speaking of temper tantrums, why was Colquitt slamming his helmet off the bench with just a couple of minutes left in the game? He had just punted. Was it a bad punt? I took my eyes off the TV for a minute and when I looked back up he was apparently very pissed at himself or someone else.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 10:26:56 EST »

I don't feel sorry for him. I get that defeat is tough. Defeat in the Super Bowl (especially when you were considered a virtual lock to win it) is even tougher. To have to go face reporters' sometimes silly questions just minutes later? Yeah, I get it. If Cam were an ordinary player, no one would say much. But he's no ordinary player. He relishes the attention when he's winning...invites it; encourages it. So it should be no surprise to him or anyone else that the attention is being heaped on him in defeat. (Or, I guess another way to say it, if he wasn't such a pompous ass when he is doing well, people would be quicker to excuse his juvenile temper tantrums when he isn't doing well.) I don't buy the immature part as an excuse. He's 26. He's a franchise player. It's time for him to act like it.

Speaking of temper tantrums, why was Colquitt slamming his helmet off the bench with just a couple of minutes left in the game? He had just punted. Was it a bad punt? I took my eyes off the TV for a minute and when I looked back up he was apparently very pissed at himself or someone else.

I agree that Cam should take some heat.  I even piled on myself some last night.  But when this story actually begins to overshadow the winners of the Super Bowl, it's going too far.

I must have missed Colquitt's tantrum.  I can only guess that he was angry at the penalty that cost them 16 yards of field position on the re-kick.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 10:39:56 EST »

I don't feel sorry for him either....he lives a very exclusive life and doesn't need anyone's pity.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 10:57:37 EST »

He was directional punting and kicked it out of bounds way shorter than his previous punts.  He was pretty ticked at himself for the bad punt, not up to HIS standards.
His punts in the 3rd and 4th quarter where he pinned Ginn up against the sidleline, 45 yards or so from the LOS were works of art.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 11:31:47 EST »

This!!!

Front runner we use to call folks like him.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 11:51:12 EST »

BTW, Cam failing to go after his own fumble (in the fourth quarter, with the Super Bowl on the line) told me a lot more about him than his postgame presser.  How is THAT not a bigger story?

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 12:13:49 EST »

BTW, Cam failing to go after his own fumble (in the fourth quarter, with the Super Bowl on the line) told me a lot more about him than his postgame presser.  How is THAT not a bigger story?
He literally jumps back, away from the ball, then tentatively sneaks in a few moments later.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Navol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 01:01:10 EST »

He literally jumps back, away from the ball, then tentatively sneaks in a few moments later.

THAT'S when I think most of us watching thought that he'd already given up.

Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 01:19:24 EST »

Can't help but compare and contrast his behavior at the press conference with the way Manning handled himself after some of the gut-wrenching losses he suffered in the playoffs during his career. He always faced the music with dignity.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 01:25:48 EST »

I only watched part of Mike and Mike this morning, ESPN a bit after the game last night, and listened to ESPN radio on my way to work this morning, and it's true, they all mentioned it.  But while allowing that my sample was smaller, they all mentioned the fumble as much or more than the presser, so to me it did receive attention.

My impression right or wrong was that Cam may have thought his OL had a shot at it and he may have been trying for a better angle.  But yeah, jump right in is what 99% of the population does.

As for the scorn heaped on him for the presser, I am on the side that says he brought it on himself.  He is incredibly cocky.  Jesus told a parable in which he said "if you are invited to a dinner and take the best seat for yourself, you might be asked to move.  If however, you take a bad seat, the host may ask you if you want a better one."

Cam came in, sat at the head of the table, and asked why his meal was taking so long, and complained that there was nothing good on the menul.  So as far as I am concerned, he can sulk at the kiddy table for awhile.  And maybe while he is there he will realize humility is considered a virtue for  a reason.

Wasn't his father a minister?  What was he teaching Cam?   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 01:31:13 EST »

THAT'S when I think most of us watching thought that he'd already given up.
Then there was his conniption fit on he last pass where Wolf unloaded on him just after he released the pass.  Mommy, mommy!  he hit me!  wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 01:37:35 EST »

Peyton lost two Super Bowls and the last one to Seattle was a drubbing but you didn't see him act like a lil three year old that didn't get his way.. I don't feel sorry for Cam Newton one bit.
If you gloat and take selfies in a rout of Arizona before the game is even over then you better be ready to take it when Denver kicked your a$$ all over the field..Just my opinion. Congrats to Peyton..Class act
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 01:46:13 EST by crockettman » Logged
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 01:38:35 EST »

Belicek I will give you, but I have never seen the others at that level.  I have seen all of them, especially Popovich, ridicule a stupid question, but Cam almost went full "Marshawn Lynch" last night.  He would have been better off incurring the wrath of the NFL and paying the fine to refuse to appear.  As it is, he just looks like a spoiled brat.  As the new "face of the NFL" and newly named MVP, you gotta show some respect for the process.

...but I kinda feel sorry for him today.  He's just getting HAMMERED on his postgame presser (or lack thereof). 

Athletes and coaches get short with the media all the time.  Lebron James, Tiger Woods, Serena Williams, Bill Belicek, and Gregg Popovich to name a few.  And while it may be a story for a few hours or even the next day, after that it's usually forgotten.  I don't think that's going to be the case this time.  This almost looks like it's going to be the story of the offseason.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: